Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
What's a little less? Assuming they take $8M combined (so $3.5M + $4.5M), you add Guentzel at probably $9.5M, and you've spent $17.5M of your ~$20.8M. That's before you sign Myers, so you're basically looking for two right-side D; one for the second pair.
And Myers is accepting no less than what is the number we are using? 3 mill? Leaving 300k for a 2nd pair rsd.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Ideally you get them for a combined 0.50m-1m less. Adds a bit of wiggle room for a slight upgrade on Juulsen.

It sounds like they want Juulsen as the 3rd pairing RD. I don’t agree with it but that’s been what they’ve said so far.

This would work if you get Myers or equivalent back at around $3M, but then you'd be running Hronek-Myers-Juulsen down the right side, and I think that's kinda gross.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
2024 Playoffs…

1. Miller
2. Boeser
3. Garland
4. Lindholm
5. Zadorov
6. Silovs
7. Joshua
8. Myers
9. Soucy
10. Suter

11. Hughes
12. Hronek
13. Blueger
14. Di Giuseppe
15. Pettersson
16. Hoglander
17. Cole
18. Aman

19. Lafferty
20. Juulsen
21. Mikheyev

N/A: Podkolzin/Karlsson

Had Mikheyev ranked last lol

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Last season this board was penciling Podz into the lineup, and trading Hogs. That was stupid then.

Seeing it now, AFTER a 25 vs 0 goal season.... makes me want to be a Utah fan.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
This would work if you get Myers or equivalent back at around $3M, but then you'd be running Hronek-Myers-Juulsen down the right side, and I think that's kinda gross.

I agree but I think that’s what they are going to do and try to upgrade it during the season. That’s what they did last season.

Reactions: TruGr1t

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I agree but I think that’s what they are going to do and try to upgrade it during the season. That’s what they did last season.
I think they are in fact pencilling Juulsen in as the 6th D, and Friedman as the 7th. I think it's the only way to make the numbers work for what I expect they are trying to do.

I could see Zad and Myers (7.5m); or Zad and Tanev (8.5m); or Zad (on the right) and Dillon (7.3m); or Dillon and Tanev (6.8m). (Maybe Carrier could be in the mix instead of Tanev on the right.)

In other words, I suspect they are only planning to bring in two D, and at the same time trying to acquire a high end forward and re-sigh Joshua. Given the numbers it seems tough for both Zad and Joshua to brought back though.

Reactions: wetcoast and Vector

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
there are benefits to vegas abusing LTIR to fit in a bunch of big contracts after mark stone's annual injury, but the downsides are that they often won't have cap space during the season and can't fit anybody in when someone incurs a minor injury. so you end up with scenarios described in the link here where they have to dress 15-17 skaters because they're literally not able to call someone up from the minors without going over the cap. vegas is lucky they didn't fall into that scenario this year where they were legitimately struggling to make the playoffs - imagine players getting randomly injured before a must win game 82 and you're forced to play 15 skaters.

also making deadline deals gets more difficult since you haven't accrued any extra cap space, and that's why we couldn't sign kessel at the deadline. i think allvin would gladly give up a 5th round pick or whatever just to yeet poolman's contract.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
there's like 4 posters who absolutely refuse to learn how LTIR works and post about it constantly. it's infuriating
Aquiring Weber's contract would only be relevant were they otherwise capped out, yeah? Or has this stuff been changed and guys we know aren't playing are outta bounds now?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
In other words, I suspect they are only planning to bring in two D, and at the same time trying to acquire a high end forward and re-sigh Joshua. Given the numbers it seems tough for both Zad and Joshua to brought back though.

I'd be a bit surprised if they do both, if the cap hits are anywhere near the rumoured number. That not only likely leaves Juulsen/Friedman as the bottom-pair RSD, but also has a knock-on effect in the bottom six ... I still think they'd like to add another centre to try and keep Suter on the Miller line, preferably a right-shot so they can run something resembling what they did with Lindholm. This is all of course making the major assumption they get Guentzel. If they miss out on the top-tier forward UFAs all bets are off and they can do a lot of different stuff.

I'm not sure I like Blueger/Aman as your bottom-six centres and Juulsen/Friedman as your #6/#7 defensemen.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
the zadorov equation makes no sense unless you're comfortable rolling with myers/juulsen/friedman as your 2/3/4 on the right side.

(unless they have some sort of ace up their sleeve to acquire a guentzel level player for 4.5 million)

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I'd be a bit surprised if they do both, if the cap hits are anywhere near the rumoured number. That not only likely leaves Juulsen/Friedman as the bottom-pair RSD, but also has a knock-on effect in the bottom six ... I still think they'd like to add another centre to try and keep Suter on the Miller line, preferably a right-shot so they can run something resembling what they did with Lindholm. This is all of course making the major assumption they get Guentzel. If they miss out on the top-tier forward UFAs all bets are off and they can do a lot of different stuff.

I'm not sure I like Blueger/Aman as your bottom-six centres and Juulsen/Friedman as your #6/#7 defensemen.
If they miss out on Guentzel please don't do two whatever 30 plus year old 40-50 point five mill guys with term just to fill the space. Be patient. Get the right big dog.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
One thing that's seemed consistent with a majority of Allvin's signings is how he's able to seemingly convince guys to take a small haircut on what they're projected to make. Pettersson signed for a little less, Hronek signed for a little less, Blueger signed for a little less. It's been speculated for several weeks now that Zadorov and Myers also might be willing to take a bit of a discount on their potential deals too. Even guys from outside the organization like Brenden Dillon seem willing to perhaps do the same.

These things are important, every small measure of additional cap space you can generate with each new contract could end up paying huge dividends down the line. Sure, he whiffed on Mikheyev but no GM is ever going to bat 1.000, but thus far I'm loving his track record. Who knows, maybe he can get Silovs back for 900k instead of the 1m most of us have been pegging him for as well? It'll all add up in the end.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
One thing that's seemed consistent with a majority of Allvin's signings is how he's able to seemingly convince guys to take a small haircut on what they're projected to make. Pettersson signed for a little less, Hronek signed for a little less, Blueger signed for a little less. It's been speculated for several weeks now that Zadorov and Myers also might be willing to take a bit of a discount on their potential deals too. Even guys from outside the organization like Brenden Dillon seem willing to perhaps do the same.

These things are important, every small measure of additional cap space you can generate with each new contract could end up paying huge dividends down the line. Sure, he whiffed on Mikheyev but no GM is ever going to bat 1.000, but thus far I'm loving his track record. Who knows, maybe he can get Silovs back for 900k instead of the 1m most of us have been pegging him for as well? It'll all add up in the end.

I think a large part of that is, we've shown our players and UFAs how the organization is run, how we approach things, how much success we've had in just one playoff. Competence is the foundation where sentimentality and discount can be politely requested.

If Dimbo asked anyone to take a pay cut he will be skewered without mercy.

EDIT: Also I'll add how the trades made demonstrated to everyone a sense of accountability and urgency - play up, or we'll deal with you one way or another, whether you like it or not. The Mik trade that went down showed just how aggressive and ruthless our management can be in order to correct perceived mistakes. As a result, the team's contracts are in very good shape (of course this is only based on this very moment, Pete Hronek and Garland's contracts may not pan out, but that's beyond the point).

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

The Pettersson Contract doesn’t look good after these playoffs, hopefully he goes full beast mode in next year’s playoffs and proves all the haters wrong.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Boeser isn't "soft" skill. He's one of the more effective forecheckers and wall battlers on the team. This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how he plays.

Guentzel is clearly in a different category than Toffoli. He's a legitimate top-of-the-lineup player. A star player. Toffoli is not. Guentzel is also a proven playoff performer. Toffoli is older and getting even slower. He already showed a big decline throughout this season. His skating looks worse than it did with VAN, and a large chunk of his production came in the first ~20 games with NJ when they had an unsustainably hot PP, after which his production dropped off a cliff. They're not comparable at all.

They are eminently comparable. They are both largely judged on their pure scoring ability. Toffoli is worse at scoring, sure, but it's not as if Toffoli's size, pk ability, grinding ability, intangibles are differentiators. Like it would be for Joshua vs Toffoli comparison. It's all about production with these two.

Oh I completely agree on Boeser's forechecking and wall ability. I'm using "soft skill" in a mocking way in that the same thing was likely said about Boeser before he rebounded this year. Toffoli is no more soft skill than Boeser is... Which is to say, that this label doesn't apply to either player.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
3 to Tanev is probably too low, and Guentzel will probably require 9.5. Also need to re-sign Silovs. I think it is just a little too tight.

Could maybe see
9.5 Guentzel
4.5 Zad
3.25 Carrier
1 Silovs
could see 9.5/10 to reinhart or guezntel. 4.3/4.4 for zads. 3.3=ufa 1 silovs.

Reactions: wetcoast

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With close to $20m in cap space, what the odds of (A) a bunch of UFA signings; or (B) a major trade?

Even with moving out Mikheyev's cap hit, it's still 50/50 whether Allvin is opening up room for a major trade, or some more UFA signings.

I still smell a blockbuster coming.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
there isn't a GM in the game that would take Pettersson over Brady. Tkachuk is probably the apex predator in the game with an ability to generate high danger chances at an insane rate. he finishes a lot of them too. There are like two guys who generate high danger chances at a comparable clip (Matthews and Hymen) and neither of them hold a candle to Brady's physicality. Playoff Brady will be an absolute nightmare to contain....it will be impossible.
I don't entirely agree with you but you present a really strong and nuanced argument so you got a like.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Last season this board was penciling Podz into the lineup, and trading Hogs. That was stupid then.

Seeing it now, AFTER a 25 vs 0 goal season.... makes me want to be a Utah fan.

Far too many people see a successful season and immediately scream "sell high!" I get we got burned with Kuzmenko but even if Hoglander regresses somewhat, we need his pittance of a salary.

Putting Pod anywhere but the fourth line is silly. Kid has shown nothing to suggest he's anything but a decent grinder.

Reactions: quat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad