Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Thanks for that, Vector - Ristolainen was a guy I'd thought of, and Pageau was another that came to mind.
I mentioned Ristolainen earlier this off-season. I think he could be particularly effective alongside Hughes if he continues to play his simplified game.

Mikheyev will get bought out and be in the SCF next year like OEL haha
There’s no reason we can’t be the team in the SCF with a player having a glow-up.

Given the Canucks' interest in big bodied players with snarl, I wonder about Josh Anderson, too. But he's so inconsistent offensively - and Montreal would likely rather hang on to him than swap him for Mikheyev, I would think.
So, I’m not so sure about Anderson. I think a really good test for any player joining a Canadian club is whether they have had success playing elsewhere in Canada. Being galvanized to the media, pressure, etc is no small feat. If a player has struggled—it’s not a very positive sign IMO.

Last edited:

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I appreciate the team trying to build up Mikheyev's value by saying he will do much better next year because his injury takes a year to recover from. But it's a pretty superficial argument. Alvin pretty much said in the exit pesser that Mikheyev is a good third line winger and it's not his fault they wanted to play him in the top 6. Problem is good third line wingers should not be making $4.75M. If the team wants to trade him to get the cap flexibility (an asset in itself), they will have to give up an asset or retain salary.
A team might bite at something like Mikheyev (25% retained) for a 6th. But to me, that would be the high end.
This is what I don't get either. Like what team is listening to Allvin's sell job and thinking to themselves "if you believe this about the player then why are you wanting to move him so bad?" Just dump the contract for a bag of pucks Allvin and don't get greedy by asking for anything of actual value. The value is the cap space anyways. I don't care if all we get is a 7th round pick in 2038, just move him, no retention, no buy-out, nothing.

Reactions: iceburg

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Canucks playing hardball with everyone.

I think that's every single free agent we've had where "the Canucks know their number" - and in the case of Lindholm, Joshua and Zadorov it's that "the Canucks can't get to it", and with Myers and Blueger, it's basically telling them to wait until their bigger priorities are settled.

The interesting thing to me is that while I agree that the Canucks should play hardball, and that while I agree the Canucks shouldn't overpay to keep their free agents, it must be acknowledged that doing so is far more palatable when you have internal depth/prospects that will replace these players. That's how its supposed to work, and that's what the Hurricanes try to do.

With the Canucks, we don't have anyone internally who is likely to step up and replace any of our outgoing free agents who are asking for large contracts that are probably an overpayment based on their value to the team. So while, sure, its easy for the Canucks to let these players walk, it also may mean they take a significant step backwards unless they basically pull multiples rabbits out of hats and sign some free agents that end up providing significant surplus value, or make some great trades. It really isn't a recipe for success and the cards are stacked against the Canucks.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The Chatfield contract should remind everyone what we're dealing with this offseason. GMs have money and capspace for the first time in awhile.

Canucks can compete with their capspace and ability to do big signing bonuses but they can't waste it on high profile glue guys (of which all their UFAs qualify as!)

Reactions: biturbo19

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Chatfield contract should remind everyone what we're dealing with this offseason. GMs have money and capspace for the first time in awhile.

Canucks can compete with their capspace and ability to do big signing bonuses but they can't waste it on glue guys.

Chatfield is coming in at a lower than expected projected cap hit, though.

Reactions: bossram

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Duhaime would be a Lafferty replacement moreso than a Joshua replacement, but I’d welcome it. He wasn’t great for Colorado and hasn’t really been able to elevate his game everywhere he’s gone.

Reactions: Szechwan

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I suspect Mikheyev won't cost much to move, maybe a 2nd and 3rd.
seems optimistic, but lets assume you're right... my proposal to flip garland and use the return to flip mikheyev would be alive and well. would be 10million in flexibility all of a sudden (with only Utah and San Jose ahead).

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Evolving Hockey had him at 4y/3.1m and AFP had him at 4y/3.67m. So he came in under in both years (and obviously less so with EH) and cap hit. I think Tyler Myers will end up with a similar style discount and contract.
Two projected bad contracts don't make his lesser bad contract good.

Myers is much better and is actually surplus value, I expect him to sign basically the exact same contract.

Reactions: biturbo19

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I suspect Mikheyev won't cost much to move, maybe a 2nd and 3rd.

For what it is worth—Puckpedia’s new salary relief calculator estimates the cost of trading away Mikheyev as a mid-1st round pick.

IMG_3441.jpeg

And according to their pick value calculator, a generic 21st overall pick is worth about three times as much as the combination of a mid 2nd round pick and mid 3rd round pick.

IMG_3442.jpeg

I dunno, for a player who only scored one goal in the 2nd half of the season and is signed for two more years at $4.75m… I think this fan base should be prepared to give up the 1st round pick.

Maybe they figure they can recoup that pick by trading Hronek for futures and signing UFA RDs.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
seems optimistic, but lets assume you're right... my proposal to flip garland and use the return to flip mikheyev would be alive and well. would be 10million in flexibility all of a sudden (with only Utah and San Jose ahead).
Yep, that's conceivable. But man, I enjoyed watching Garland last season, and his effort level has an effect on the team.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Yep, that's conceivable. But man, I enjoyed watching Garland last season, and his effort level has an effect on the team.
just a question if you think you can improve the team or not with the money. I'd rather 1 Guentzal than a Garland+Mikheyev.

I'm getting ahead of myself though, assuming that the player you acquire with their cap instead is already recruited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad