Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
That interview read to me as more-or-less a fluff piece (it's IMAC) and Rutherford just wanted to give fans some morsel of "fun" news to hang onto given he expects most of the UFAs will not be retained.

I don't see it happening. He's got a lot of physical development and strength training to do. Also needs some time to change his game in North America and become more inside-driven.
I largely agree, but we said the same things with Pettersson. The league (at least in the regular season) is much less size focused these days.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
My impression also barring something shocking and while I normally love Rutherford/Allvin's interviews I didn't love this from Rutherford.

To me (outside of rare exceptions) you should be under-hyping prospects to fans and then enjoy it when they over-deliver as opposed to the Benning-esque default method of over-selling guys to try and generate positive PR and forcing them onto the roster before they're remotely ready.
Would the dislike have anything to do with the fact that you don't like Lekkerimaki as a player?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
We need to improve the blueline, not bring the same cast and crew from last season. If this means losing Zadorov to bring in Dillon and Tanev then I'm fine with that. Myers ideally is upgraded as well but it probably won't happen. Anyone penciling in Juulsen and Friedman as #3 RD is out to lunch. These guys are depth players that's it.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I largely agree, but we said the same things with Pettersson. The league (at least in the regular season) is much less size focused these days.
Petey was a vastly more accomplished player when he came over. He was like...the best player in the SHL. It's not comparable.

And I'd actually argue the opposite for very recent seasons. Size seems to be mattering more (again).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Would the dislike have anything to do with the fact that you don't like Lekkerimaki as a player?

I have no idea how those two players would be remotely connected.

I've been Bains' biggest cheerleader here. I've been very complimentary of Sasson. I reversed my take on Karlsson when he showed big improvement over this year. My takes on Abbotsford players are generally pretty in-line with the organization's takes. Except here.

I watched McWard play probably 50-55 games this year when you add preseason. Like, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of where he was at. And it lines up with the Abbotsford coaching staff who used him on the 3rd pairing with everyone healthy. The descriptions of this player as a big, no-nonsense high-leverage player are just ... wrong. It isn't what happened. He's a mobile, soft, smallish defender who was playing low-leverage 3rd pairing minutes for most of the year.

He's not a 'terrible' prospect or anything but the notion that he's close to NHL games is ... weird. He's further than both Woo and Johansson and it seems like the organization is walking away from both of them. And again, the coaches in Abbotsford agreed with my assessment based on their usage of these players.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm taking everything that Canucks brass offers up about prospects—McWard, Lekkerimaki, everyone—being close to the NHL as posturing directed both at the FAs they're talking to and other teams with whom they might be discussing trades.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The Lekkerimaki thing I sort of get, he should be a feature player in Abbotsford next year hopefully, and along with E. Pettersson maybe gets a look later in the year if things go well. The McWard thing I don't get at all, it gives me flashbacks to Benning incessantly hyping up Brisebois every single off-season and his horrible pronunciation of the name.

Reactions: wetcoast

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
We need to improve the blueline, not bring the same cast and crew from last season. If this means losing Zadorov to bring in Dillon and Tanev then I'm fine with that. Myers ideally is upgraded as well but it probably won't happen. Anyone penciling in Juulsen and Friedman as #3 RD is out to lunch. These guys are depth players that's it.
I would guess that Tanev and Zad might come in at around the same number, but different term?

If the issue is Dillon and Tanev at roughly the same cost as Zad, that allows for a more balanced blueline without losing a ton of toughness. The defence would be something like:

Hughes Hronek
Soucy Tanev
Dillon Myers
Juulsen

But I am loathe to lose Zad.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think he's out to lunch anyway (Drance) , but I don't want any part of Guentzel if he's coming with an 11.5m cap hit.

Reactions: arttk and Jovofan

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I said it before, and I will say it again, and I’ve been saying this for weeks even when they said he was pretty much gone.

Zadorov is going to sign, 100% with Vancouver.

Rick is not going to let this guy go, there is no way.

It’s going to happen, I’m extremely confident

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So Zadarov likely signed soon. Then maybe Guentzel if they can move Mikheyev.
That’s a much better top 6 forward group at least.
Next question then is how do we improve the D from last year?
The only other big contract is Garland on the third line. But can’t see how we can afford to lose him.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
So Zadarov likely signed soon. Then maybe Guentzel if they can move Mikheyev.
That’s a much better top 6 forward group at least.
Next question then is how do we improve the D from last year?
The only other big contract is Garland on the third line. But can’t see how we can afford to lose him.
I love Garland as much as the next guy but he's the next man up once Mikheyev is gone.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Maybe they are holding off on the Mikheyev trade and claiming “there is no market” to grind down Zadorov and Joshua on AAV.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
RE: Lekkerimaki

I could see the team signing someone like Kapanen or Tatar or Hoffman to a PTO or one-year $1m deal.

If LKM can beat out an NHLer for the role I am open to him—but I would be disappointed if they simply pencilled him into such a roster spot now.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I mean we pretty much know Canucks are offering something around $4.5M AAV and Zadorov would take around 5x5 here, probably, so yes not that far apart obviously.

If the Canucks managed to get him under any sort of $5M AAV, I’d be ecstatic. I’d be fine with higher, but a number starting with $4 would be amazing.

Similar to the reports on Joshua starting with a $3. I’m kind of mind blown that that hasn’t materialized if accurate - but I wonder if Zadorov is simply higher on their priority list.

Reactions: Jovofan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad