Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If the Canucks managed to get him under any sort of $5M AAV, I’d be ecstatic. I’d be fine with higher, but a number starting with $4 would be amazing.

Similar to the reports on Joshua starting with a $3. I’m kind of mind blown that that hasn’t materialized if accurate - but I wonder if Zadorov is simply higher on their priority list.

I would not be surprised if the Canucks are trying to get 4-year term at something around $4.5M and Zadorov wants 5 years at $5M AAV. If the Canucks give on term, maybe they can get him at $4.75M on 5 years or something.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If the Canucks managed to get him under any sort of $5M AAV, I’d be ecstatic. I’d be fine with higher, but a number starting with $4 would be amazing.

Similar to the reports on Joshua starting with a $3. I’m kind of mind blown that that hasn’t materialized if accurate - but I wonder if Zadorov is simply higher on their priority list.

I think they look at the market being more expensive than the projections show and think they can get a relative deal for Zadorov. Joshua, for as much as I feel he’s very important, is a bit more replaceable with more risk due to the lack of track record.

Reactions: Hodgy

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm cool with Zadorov being back, I assume management and Tocchet are on the same page here and he'll get enough usage to justify the contracts they've offered him because his regular season usage here was way too low to justify a $5M+ cap hit.

And I'd hope they have a plan for Mikheyev if they sign Zadorov because if the top 6 isn't significantly improved heading into next season I'll be disappointed.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
AFP Analytics has been pretty good so far. They have Zadorov at 5 years / 5.317M.
I have to think that number has to be closer to 4.5-4.75

I'm cool with Zadorov being back, I assume management and Tocchet are on the same page here and he'll get enough usage to justify the contracts they've offered him because his regular season usage here was way too low to justify a $5M+ cap hit.

And I'd hope they have a plan for Mikheyev if they sign Zadorov because if the top 6 isn't significantly improved heading into next season I'll be disappointed.
There's a rumour going around Jake Guentzel is gonna sign in Van. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Nucker101

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If they end up bringing Zadorov back, I’m extremely curious if they spend more on the defence. Last season they were eventually comfortable rolling with 4 lefties and 2 righties. As much as they talk up Juulsen, they can’t go into the season with him as the 3rd pairing guy. Would Dillon still be in play and one of Soucy or Zadorov play on their off hand? Splurge on Carrier? A smaller upgrade on Juulsen? This is assuming they get Myers back at a reasonable discount. That’s still not certain.

Plus the questions about how the salary cap structure would affect the rest of the roster.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
AFP Analytics has been pretty good so far. They have Zadorov at 5 years / 5.317M.

And the original ask was apparently 6y/6m. So I have no idea what the actual contract would look like. We know he is prioritizing term. It sounds like he’s asking Milstein to find a way to stay in Vancouver. Both can be powerful tools for the Canucks in lowering his contract below his ask.

But the information has been so obfuscated. Even things we believe we know may not be true.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
This is assuming they get Myers back at a reasonable discount. That’s still not certain.

One thing with Myers is as improved as he was last season, he still doesn't mesh with Hughes. Allvin said he wants Hronek to see more time away from QH, but then you need another option for him to play with.

Hughes spent some time wish Zadorov, and that's a way to justify a bigger AAV. Hughes as also sound some time in the past with Juulsen, but nobody wants that to a regular occurance.

I'm starting to feel money going to Myers might be better spent on a potential Hughes partner, even if just someone that let's Hronek see more time on a different pairing. Might not work out, but we pretty much know Myers doesn't work.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If they end up bringing Zadorov back, I’m extremely curious if they spend more on the defence. Last season they were eventually comfortable rolling with 4 lefties and 2 righties. As much as they talk up Juulsen, they can’t go into the season with him as the 3rd pairing guy. Would Dillon still be in play and one of Soucy or Zadorov play on their off hand? Splurge on Carrier? A smaller upgrade on Juulsen? This is assuming they get Myers back at a reasonable discount. That’s still not certain.

Plus the questions about how the salary cap structure would affect the rest of the roster.

I think they have like ~$16M post-Hronek. So let's say Zadorov gets $4.75M, you're at just over $11M pre-Guentzel. Assuming they sign Guentzel around $9.5M and they move Mikheyev that leaves you just over $6M to play with to address 3C and additional defense. If you just retain Blueger ~$2M AAV they'd probably comfortably have around $3M for another d-man (this is where I assume Myers factors into the plan). So must move Mikheyev, I don't thinks its optional.

So you're pretty much coming back with the same roster, except swapping Guentzel and Lindholm, minus Cole, Mikheyev and Joshua. So your bottom right-side guy is either Juulsen, McWard or Friedman. Rough math that roster leaves you with around $1M or less in space, and your bottom six will be rough.

Everything we've heard coming out of the org, this seems to be pretty much what they're thinking.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Zadorov was like 6th amongst all canucks dmen in toi per game during the regular season so I'd imagine if they're paying him big bucks that either or Soucy will be seeing some time at RD, otherwise it's just an inefficient use of cap space which this team can't really afford thanks to the OEL cap hit +no impact players on ELC/bridge deals other than Hog.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Man just hearing how close we are to signing Zadorov makes me extremely pumped. I liked the big Z, but loved him after the after hours interview. Such a smart, talented intellectual.

Being so close to signing definitely makes my day.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Zadorov is our most important ufa, both sides would be pretty stupid not to work something out. If it's 8 years 32M then whatever, count yourself lucky for the low aav and move on to signing the next guy. (Or acquiring Necas/Crouse)

Sign Z to a good aav contract AND trade stoney and I'll buy another canucks sweater, maybe even a Zadorov black skate. (Definitely a Kessel if we go down that road again this summer)

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Zadorov was like 6th amongst all canucks dmen in toi per game during the regular season so I'd imagine if they're paying him big bucks that either or Soucy will be seeing some time at RD, otherwise it's just an inefficient use of cap space which this team can't really afford thanks to the OEL cap hit +no impact players on ELC/bridge deals other than Hog.
McWard will get another chance in the pre-season to see how he does with Hughes. :yo:

• Haha
Reactions: Nucker101

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
One thing with Myers is as improved as he was last season, he still doesn't mesh with Hughes. Allvin said he wants Hronek to see more time away from QH, but then you need another option for him to play with.

Hughes spent some time wish Zadorov, and that's a way to justify a bigger AAV. Hughes as also sound some time in the past with Juulsen, but nobody wants that to a regular occurance.

I'm starting to feel money going to Myers might be better spent on a potential Hughes partner, even if just someone that let's Hronek see more time on a different pairing. Might not work out, but we pretty much know Myers doesn't work.

We could do this:

Tanev 4.5m
Zadorov 5m
Dillon or Myers 3m
Blueger 2m
Guentzel 9m
3W 1m
Silovs 1m

That would be a pretty solid outcome we have room for.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This fits just barely:
1718938052251.png

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
@TruGr1t They will have 18.5m with Silovs signed to a 1m contract. So only 4.25m with those two signed at those numbers. Maybe nearly enough to bring bring in Blueger and Myers on discounts.

This is why moving out Mikheyev is imperative.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I love Garland as much as the next guy but he's the next man up once Mikheyev is gone.
people are like "We can't afford to lose him," when they probably can't afford to keep him. Wouldn't mind re-investing his cap into the backend. Mikheyev and Garland are 10 million in the bottom six. People like Tanev or Carrier becomes a reality.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
@TruGr1t They will have 18.5m with Silovs signed to a 1m contract. So only 4.25m with those two signed at those numbers. Maybe nearly enough to bring bring in Blueger and Myers on discounts.

This is why moving out Mikheyev is imperative.

Yeah, I just ran it through Cap Friendly, see above.

Reactions: Vector
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad