Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Playoffs Approaching

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny A

Feb 6, 2023
My son asked me this question and I thought I knew the answer but the more I thought about it, the more sure I was that I had no idea. I wasn't sure where to ask this question but this seemed like the most likely place.

Future considerations.

What exactly is this? When I google it, I am told that the team receiving future considerations will, at a later date, receive compensation in the form of a player or a pick in exchange for trading a player now.

For example, in March of 2023 Vancouver traded Wyatt Kalynuk to the New York Rangers in exchange for future considerations.

To the best of my knowledge, the Vancouver Canucks have not yet received anything in compensation.

Then I started thinking and I couldn't recall a single instance where I saw a team fulfilling the promise of future considerations.

Is this actually about future considerations or is it more about one team doing another team a solid by giving them a free player or helping free up a contract spot or cap relief?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
My son asked me this question and I thought I knew the answer but the more I thought about it, the more sure I was that I had no idea. I wasn't sure where to ask this question but this seemed like the most likely place.

Future considerations.

What exactly is this? When I google it, I am told that the team receiving future considerations will, at a later date, receive compensation in the form of a player or a pick in exchange for trading a player now.

For example, in March of 2023 Vancouver traded Wyatt Kalynuk to the New York Rangers in exchange for future considerations.

To the best of my knowledge, the Vancouver Canucks have not yet received anything in compensation.

Then I started thinking and I couldn't recall a single instance where I saw a team fulfilling the promise of future considerations.

Is this actually about future considerations or is it more about one team doing another team a solid by giving them a free player or helping free up a contract spot or cap relief?
saying a guy got traded for nothing or for a bag of pucks is rude.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I still think we need one more bigger body in the top 6 - or at least someone who plays a bit bigger and can create space for EP.

Tuch is the pipedream, but I'd take a long look at trying to pry Crouse out of AZ. That team is a dumpster.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Adding another depth piece with an intriguing tool like blazing speed or intimidating toughness would have been nice but I'm relieved management didn't go big game hunting.

The idea of pushing all our chips in for this year might have been the right call when we reflect on this period, years from now. But this organization has finally pulled itself out of the dumpster and I am looking forward to seeing what this new structure can build if we don't cut it off at the knees.

I'd rather stay competitive, let our core build post season experience, and be ready to go all in after the worst years of the OEL buyout are behind us.

Reactions: calnuck

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Future considerations.

You pretty much nailed it. It's just literally future considerations for doing you a small favor. Like when someone gives you a ride to the store all the time you might buy them a coffee or a beer, or be willing to make a future deal with them to return the favor if needed. Kind of like thanks, I will help you out in the future if I can.

You will most likely never see the future considerations reported as it is kind of inconsequential to the future deal itself. It would simply be a behind the scenes conversation. I don't think there is any "actual" tangible asset that must be delivered, only that you take the good deed into consideration when making future deals.

Reactions: geebaan and Sonny A

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Adding another depth piece with an intriguing tool like blazing speed or intimidating toughness would have been nice but I'm relieved management didn't go big game hunting.

The idea of pushing all our chips in for this year might have been the right call when we reflect on this period, years from now. But this organization has finally pulled itself out of the dumpster and I am looking forward to seeing what this new structure can build if we don't cut it off at the knees.

I'd rather stay competitive, let our core build post season experience, and be ready to go all in after the worst years of the OEL buyout are behind us.
At that point ('27-'28):

Miller: 34
Pettersson: 29
Hughes: 28
Demko: 32

Lekkerimaki: 23
Willander: 23

Reactions: pitseleh

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
At that point ('27-'28):

Miller: 34
Pettersson: 29
Hughes: 28
Demko: 32

Lekkerimaki: 23
Willander: 23

Doesn't look too bad from an age perspective except for Miller and plenty of elite players are still solid contributors at 34.

A lot can happen in a few years. If we have a system that's producing good, cheap depth and our pro scouting is good then I think this team will continue to get stronger.

I'm not saying the team needs to hang back until the OEL buyout recedes, no matter what, but there's going to he another nice window to compete on the other side of it.

As I mentioned, in hindsight this might be our best chance to compete if the worst future comes true but I believe in this management group. And I just don't love this team's chances even with someone like Guentzel this year. Our star players are a bit too inconsistent and the group lacks playoff experience while the rest of the conference is a murderer's row.

Reactions: Lindgren

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
summer is a long way away but if things continue as they have i think they will

-re-up hronek, blueger, myers
-take joshua, zadorov and lindholm down to the wire and maybe lose them all, especially lindholm
-extend juulsen
-let desmith, lafferty and friedman walk
-sign or trade for some new league minimum-ish dmen and forwards and a back up goalie.
-pencil in podz and leave flexibility for lekkermaki and ep2
-most likely be shopping for another middle six centre.

i think they will struggle with what to do with mikhayev and end up crossing their fingers on a bounce back year.

if boeser has a career year and kuz continues to be productive in calgary i think the market will view boeser very favourably and it will be very tempting for the canucks to move him for assets and sign gunetzel (if they can).

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
summer is a long way away but if things continue as they have i think they will

-re-up hronek, blueger, myers
-take joshua, zadorov and lindholm down to the wire and maybe lose them all, especially lindholm
-extend juulsen
-let desmith, lafferty and friedman walk
-sign or trade for some new league minimum-ish dmen and forwards and a back up goalie.
-pencil in podz and leave flexibility for lekkermaki and ep2
-most likely be shopping for another middle six centre.

i think they will struggle with what to do with mikhayev and end up crossing their fingers on a bounce back year.

if boeser has a career year and kuz continues to be productive in calgary i think the market will view boeser very favourably and it will be very tempting for the canucks to move him for assets and sign gunetzel (if they can).
I don't think that "leaving flexibility" for those two will be part of their thinking at all.

Reactions: JT Milker

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't think that "leaving flexibility" for those two will be part of their thinking at all.
not sure what you mean. i think they will not expect either to make the team but will give them the opportunity to earn a spot and plan out what happens if they do that.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
not sure what you mean. i think they will not expect either to make the team but will give them the opportunity to earn a spot and plan out what happens if they do that.
I mean that when making their off-season decisions, they shouldn't be thinking about allowing for the possibility that either will make the team. That possibility is extremely remote, so making allowances of that sort would be a mistake. I'm pretty confident they won't make that mistake.

Reactions: JT Milker

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Seems like Allvin alluded that getting out from Poolman’s contract maybe a priority in the offseason. Being unable to accrue cap space when under the cap seems to have tied his hands in trying to make deals this deadline.
agreed. stupid benning. lukcily van got out of ferlands 4yr deal as well for playing 9 games 3 years ago. vancouver could have traded poolman contract last offseason tbh and he would still have money leftover to aquire someone

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
There are a number of issues I hope they deal with in the next owner - player contract.

1 - Allow teams to buy out LTIR players. It is ridiculous that an injury can handicap a team for years.

2 - Change the buy out rules. For example, reduce the penalty by the amount the player re-signs for. No one will be hurt. OEL is getting $2.25M, reduce the penalty by that amount.

3 - For that matter change the buy out rules. The numbers for the OEL buyout are ridiculous. Personally I wish they had bit the bullet and just put him on waivers, then traded him somewhere like TB and retained 65%, It would have been better for everyone.

When did he say this, I'd be interested because around the deadline rumor was they briefly discussed an extension and neither side was particularly interested.
I heard different. They discussed an extension, but the numbers were far apart.

Reactions: David71

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
When did he say this, I'd be interested because around the deadline rumor was they briefly discussed an extension and neither side was particularly interested.
"Our intention when we traded for him, was that he was going to be here long term"..Allvin..yesterdays presser.

Reactions: CanuckCity

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
There are a number of issues I hope they deal with in the next owner - player contract.

1 - Allow teams to buy out LTIR players. It is ridiculous that an injury can handicap a team for years.

2 - Change the buy out rules. For example, reduce the penalty by the amount the player re-signs for. No one will be hurt. OEL is getting $2.25M, reduce the penalty by that amount.

3 - For that matter change the buy out rules. The numbers for the OEL buyout are ridiculous. Personally I wish they had bit the bullet and just put him on waivers, then traded him somewhere like TB and retained 65%, It would have been better for everyone.

the goal of all the rules is to set hard guardrails to prevent the owners paying more than 50% of revenue, that without a doubt is the hill they will die on.

i was playing around on capfriendly

assuming blueger, joshua, and hronek combine around ~12.5, they have the space to make meaningful additions

not sure how much of a hometown discount you can convince tanev to take but i left 4.5 for a second pair RD. Also gave us 4 to acquire a top six forward (vatrano?) and 2 for a backup goalie (think we should just bring back desmith and not overcomplicate things), and about 2.5-3 for another bottom pair D.

i doubt all of mikheyev, garland, and boeser return but that’s a bridge i imagine they’ll cross in the summer.

Hoglander - EP - New Winger (4)
Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser
Joshua (3.25) - Blueger (2.25) - Garland
Podkolzin (1) - Suter - PDG
2 of Bains/Aman/Raty/etc

Hughes - Hronek (6.75)
Soucy - New 2nd Pair D (4.5)
New Bottom Pair D (2.5-3)
- Juulsen
Depth D

Demko
DeSmith (1.8)
If we trade Brock for 1st, pick + prospect, we can technically do something like this.

Feels like we will need to trade Garland and Mik to get more flexibility to fill out the rest of the roster. Not sure if that is something we can pull off considering both of them have term.
Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 12.52.28 PM.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

2) You'd be creating more cap space. He was due $10.5 mill and Van/AZ had to pay him $7 mill and will take the cap hit for that $7 mill. FLA is paying him $2.25 mill which is the cap hit they are taking. So, if you are trying to reduce the $7 mill of cap charges that Van/AZ owe, you're creating $2.25 mill of cap for the money FLA is paying him.

3) OEL had a NMC contract. Thus could not waive him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
2) You'd be creating more cap space. He was due $10.5 mill and Van/AZ had to pay him $7 mill and will take the cap hit for that $7 mill. FLA is paying him $2.25 mill which is the cap hit they are taking. So, if you are trying to reduce the $7 mill of cap charges that Van/AZ owe, you're creating $2.25 mill of cap for the money FLA is paying him.

3) OEL had a NMC contract. Thus could not waive him.

Can't retain more then 50% either unless you're looping in another team which just adds to the cost in trade assets.

Also buying out players on LTIR feels greasy. Like firing someone who gets hurt on the job.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
If Joshua and Podkolzin are both with the team for the playoffs I think the small/slow/soft thing is dead in the water. I'm still hoping Podzolzin can start winning more puck battles and make better decisions but he's all there physically, guys don't try to go through him.
How do you figure? Podkolzin is a below average sized forward who isn't very physical. He is 6'1 - 190 pounds. The average size of an NHL forward in 2024 is 6'1 - 198.5 pounds (hortonbarbell.com).

The Canucks have a soft forward group and this should have been addressed at the TDL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad