Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
FA: Sign DeBrusk, Chatfield, Myers (has to be cheap), Joshua and Reilly

(I'm probably about $500k AAV shy on Debrusk and Chatfield, but if so, increase the term on each to bring the AAV down. I have DeBrusk at 5 years and Chatfield at 4 years respectively.)

Trade: Mikheyev for Smith

(Not sure on the bounce back value of Mikheyev relative to Smith, but a change of scenery is in order for Mik)

Run with 14 forwards and 7 dmen.

Capfriendly, I believe, has the OEL buyout amount of $2.3m already allocated.

1716711353670.png

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I really don't think it's fair but maybe I am bias. I can find you a player similar to Necas that would be available, you can't find a player like Hronek that will be available a top right shot defence-man (maybe Montour but he will likely be resigned or want a lot money in Ufa). He played almost 24 mins a game, 27 defence-man played more than him, Thinking you can replace him with Tanev or Pesce is crazy. Tanev played 19.40 play him over 21 mins a game and he won't make it to game 82 look what happened to Cole at the end of the regular season.

Also I wouldn't mind a Drury for Hoglander swap included in the deal top get our third line center.

i agree with this.. how quickly we're discounting Hronek's contributions is wild.

Reactions: theguardianII

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
i liked walker and carrier as well. but pesce be the perfect partner for hughes. either walker/carrier for 2nd pairing alongside carson soucy
I don’t see Vancouver having any interest in Carrier or Walker. They are too small. Allvin stated that he was very happy with his defense this playoffs—and it’s clear that he has prioritized having big, heavy defensemen—Zadorov, Soucy, Cole, Myers, Juulsen.

As long as you have Hughes taking up so much ice-time, I don’t think you will see them acquire another sub 6’0 defenseman.

It’s why I think they will ultimately re-sign Zadorov.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
FA: Sign DeBrusk, Chatfield, Myers (has to be cheap), Joshua and Reilly

(I'm probably about $500k AAV shy on Debrusk and Chatfield, but if so, increase the term on each to bring the AAV down. I have DeBrusk at 5 years and Chatfield at 4 years respectively.)

Trade: Mikheyev for Smith

(Not sure on the bounce back value of Mikheyev relative to Smith, but a change of scenery is in order for Mik)

Run with 14 forwards and 7 dmen.

Capfriendly, I believe, has the OEL buyout amount of $2.3m already allocated.

View attachment 875857
RE: Jake Debrusk and Reilly Smith

I group players like that the same as Jason Zucker — “top-six” forwards but they are clearly not elite talent. They are not going to be difference makers in Rick Tocchet’s system and won’t help the team score that many more goals or give Pettersson or Miller that much more time and space.

If they were going to spend $10m in cap on the top-six like that, I’d rather see them spend the money on Guentzel/Reinhart and keep Hoglander in the top-six than go with two half-measures.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
i agree with this.. how quickly we're discounting Hronek's contributions is wild.
Not really, most of his points came from playing with Hughes, of his 48 points 29 were secondary assists and only 14 primary.
There is only one puck and if Hughes has it and is playing the majority of PP minutes does it matter who is dishing the puck to him?
Hronek contributed the same as most of the defence, a little less in some games a little more in others.

But with a now deeper defence and a forward squad needing a lot of help, well, quality for quality.

And the right trade could fill both ends, a top six winger and a larger bottom 4 dman.

With Demko and Silovs to back stop.

Who knows what Carolina will do now with a new GM, but that old GM is now in a place that has major issues and loads of AAA prospects.

Also there is Willander who will likely be ready after next season.

If or with Myers, Soucy, Zadorov, Hughes as a top 4 and Juulsen, Friedman and Pettersson for a bottom six for 2/3 years almost a perfect transition of aging players, Myers, being replaced with younger ones.

BUT SIZE MATTERS it always has in the playoffs.

There are a lot of fans/posters that have to relearn cap management or simply think that how badly Benning blew it every year and so got used to no imagination or forward planning.
This management group seems/appears to be from a different planet by comparisons. From the worst in league history, which most fans got used to and think that way to a savvy group that seem to hit the right notes.

Maybe think of a cap hit as a percentage of the cap that declines every year as the cap goes up by 5 mil or so for the next 4+ years.

With the big leap in OEL's buyout for the next 4 years it is important to get a few longer term, 6 year contracts to offset those hits and provide additional cap space for this group to exercise.

If there was a trade talk with Carolina that included Pettersson what was coming back? Necas has been mentioned but who else? Kotkaniemi at 50%, Pesce and a pick or two?
There is a Carolina connection with Rutherford. Lindholm gone, room for Guentzal now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovofan

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I don’t see Vancouver having any interest in Carrier or Walker. They are too small. Allvin stated that he was very happy with his defense this playoffs—and it’s clear that he has prioritized having big, heavy defensemen—Zadorov, Soucy, Cole, Myers, Juulsen.

As long as you have Hughes taking up so much ice-time, I don’t think you will see them acquire another sub 6’0 defenseman.

That and Zadorov's family like it here too. If you can afford it Vancouver is a fantastic city to live in.
16hours of sunlight in the summer, better winters than San Francisco, hardly any drought, green (meaning trees) and blue sky most of the time, real blue.

If Hronek does go to Carolina for Necas, IMO a good trade, Pesce might be included. Even at the cost of Hoglander that would be a huge win and a step forward for improvement. Even without Lindholm coming back. Lindholm might even re-sign in Calgary if they give him what he wanted. Family is already settled in there.

Foegle might be a decent forward FA to pursue, there are a few bottom six on the remaining teams that they have to let go.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I can see them having some interest in Walker due to his profile, and he had 10 goals last year. I've soured on him a bit following a pretty underwhelming playoffs for the Avs, but he is mobile and can work in transition, which we need.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
There was a rumour before the deadline that the Canucks were going to trade Lindholm after just acquiring him and I believe the team that was discussed was the Carolinians.

I wonder whether they now sign him as they suggest they want to do, or trade his rights.

Perhaps this has something to do with the Necas/KK/Pesce rumours.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There was a rumour before the deadline that the Canucks were going to trade Lindholm after just acquiring him and I believe the team that was discussed was the Carolinians.

I wonder whether they now sign him as they suggest they want to do, or trade his rights.

It was the Bruins.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

It’s a really interesting trade relationship between these two teams because the deal has potential to scale quite a bit.

I could see such a trade being as straightforward as this as a base:
  • CAR:
    • Hronek
  • VAN:
    • Necas
To being as large as:
  • CAR:
    • Hronek
    • Hoglander
    • Mikheyev
    • Negotiation Rights to Lindholm
  • VAN:
    • Necas
    • Kotkaniemi
    • Negotiation Rights to Pesce

Reactions: Chiripa20

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It’s a really interesting trade relationship between these two teams because the deal has potential to scale quite a bit.
Remove Hronek and there is a deal there if they all resign:
2 positive valued players and one negative valued player going each way.

• CAR:
    • Hoglander
    • Mikheyev
  • VAN:
    • Necas
    • Kotkaniemi

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

• CAR:
    • Hoglander
    • Mikheyev
  • VAN:
    • Necas
    • Kotkaniemi

I don’t think Carolina returns a phone call about Necas without Hronek being part of it. A big part of their motivation would be signing an RD without going through UFA.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
re: Americans signing here - don't underestimate the value of already having a team full of them. Large groups of them train together in the off-season, or have played together in the past.

People have mostly moved past the pandemic FrEeDoM shenanigans, and a beautiful city, great exchange rate, passionate fanbase, and up and a team entering a contention window would still be enticing.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That and Zadorov's family like it here too. If you can afford it Vancouver is a fantastic city to live in.
16hours of sunlight in the summer, better winters than San Francisco, hardly any drought, green (meaning trees) and blue sky most of the time, real blue.

i say this as someone who absolutely loves this city. our family gave up cushy jobs to move back here twice (wife and i both spent formative years in vancouver but met elsewhere as students).

and so yeah i’m nodding along with you until i’m like, wait? but the times it’s jawdroppingly gorgeous are when a UFA is probably going to be back in wherever they are from. and then i look out the window look at (for?) the sky and i am like, wait hold up again…

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
I understand the Necas talk, but moving a top pairing RHD for...a second line winger, when both are up for contracts, seems dubious at best to me. While younger + quicker, he has a similar PPG total to Kuzmenko over the last two years (less PP time this year though which is important) - are you happy with that kind of player in exchange for Hronek? Not really imo.

Even if one argues that Hronek is a second pairing calibre player, playing on right side alone makes him worth a lot more than the vast majority of top 6 wingers. People are rightfully spooked about 8 million for Hronek, but I doubt by the time contract negotiations go into serious mode that we'll go anywhere above 7.5 (that's the highest I think he could get).

Hoglander + something is more reasonable, especially for a Carolina team that will need cheap middle 6 help if they're going to re-sign Guentzel and a few of their dmen.

Ultimately you trade contracts moreso than players, and Hoglander at 1.1 million on a contender is very high value - the only reason you dangle him right now is because his chemistry in the top 6 is weak, and you don't want two 5'8 guys on the same line together with him and Garland.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I understand the Necas talk, but moving a top pairing RHD for...a second line winger, when both are up for contracts, seems dubious at best to me. While younger + quicker, he has a similar PPG total to Kuzmenko over the last two years (less PP time this year though which is important) - are you happy with that kind of player in exchange for Hronek? Not really imo.

Even if one argues that Hronek is a second pairing calibre player, playing on right side alone makes him worth a lot more than the vast majority of top 6 wingers. People are rightfully spooked about 8 million for Hronek, but I doubt by the time contract negotiations go into serious mode that we'll go anywhere above 7.5 (that's the highest I think he could get).

Hoglander + something is more reasonable, especially for a Carolina team that will need cheap middle 6 help if they're going to re-sign Guentzel and a few of their dmen.

Ultimately you trade contracts moreso than players, and Hoglander at 1.1 million on a contender is very high value - the only reason you dangle him right now is because his chemistry in the top 6 is weak, and you don't want two 5'8 guys on the same line together with him and Garland.
Agree. I'm not fan of signing Hronek at 8M but trading him for Necas then signing Necas to something similar seems very counterproductive.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
RE: Jake Debrusk and Reilly Smith

I group players like that the same as Jason Zucker — “top-six” forwards but they are clearly not elite talent. They are not going to be difference makers in Rick Tocchet’s system and won’t help the team score that many more goals or give Pettersson or Miller that much more time and space.

If they were going to spend $10m in cap on the top-six like that, I’d rather see them spend the money on Guentzel/Reinhart and keep Hoglander in the top-six than go with two half-measures.

As would I, but this is a plan that assumes Guentzel and Reinhart each re-sign with their respective teams. (Reinhart is all but assured to do so)

One note: Even if they were to somehow land Guentzel, they still need to shift Mikheyev's salary somewhere. That's what gets Reilly Smith on the roster. When that happens, there's no money to address the defense beyond re-signing Myers. No Chatfield at that point.

This roster is about giving the team the appropriate depth. DeBrusk and Smith will be offensive upgrades for Pettersson, without question. They are legit top6 forwards, each capable of scoring near 30 goals.

Last, if Hoglander earns his spot in the Top6 again, then you can move DeBrusk to Miller's line, Hoglander to Pettersson's line, and then Suter to the bottom6.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would move Hronek in an instant for Necas and in fact they need to get it done and should be willing to move other pieces if necessary.

Necas beside Pettersson and on PP1 helping us get set up with his speed through the neutral zone is more important than Hronek when we could just replace Hronek with Matt Roy in free agency and have Willander in the pipeline. Hronek is not the 7-8 million dollar player that helps that much with us already having Hughes.

Forget the 2nd line RW thing.....Necas is about to come of age and has all the tools like Miller when we acquired him to take his game to another level and will be a C that can be the play driver to extend Miller effectiveness or continue to play with Pettersson

Reactions: Chiripa20

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.

• CAR:
    • Hoglander
    • Mikheyev
  • VAN:
    • Necas
    • Kotkaniemi

Tom Dundon hangs up the phone and drops a tactical nuke on the city of Vancouver.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

please stop making me imagine an impossible world where we somehow end up with reinhart. man him and petey on a line…

Likely nothing, but is Blueger hinting he’s re-signing?

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
I can see the Canucks resigning everyone of importance except for Lindholm unfortunately. We were at the top of the division without him for 2/3s of the season and he basically picked up the slack when Petey disappeared in the playoffs. I see the team replicating the same season more or less which isnt a terrible thing.

Reactions: theguardianII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad