Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treefingers

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 21, 2006
Vancouver

He's right. Our pathetic franchise was cowardly the whole series. Pettersson just somehow decided to mail it in January during contract year. We knew we were going to lose so we kept Demko out and then took Boeser out in Game 6 and 7 to just create excuses.
Lamoooo Seravalli is a tool and probably the oldest looking 36-year-old on the planet.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I'm not sure how interested the Canucks should be in Chatfield. Seems like he's picked up some buzz, but IMO he's a player that really benefits from playing in Carolina's system. It's a big help to lesser skilled guys, as their system basically simplifies what they need to do in the DZ...which is just hack the puck up the wall whenever they touch it. He's most played on their third pair too.
Yes. However, he had comparable ESS/60 to Hronek, and only one of them benefitted by playing beside Quinn Hughes. All 8 goals at ES too. considering his age, i think it'd be a risk worth taking.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Holy shit, I actually had to look it up because I didn't believe you. Thought he was 15-20 years older.

I think he must have dyed his hair to make him look older, thus more reliable......

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

He's right. Our pathetic franchise was cowardly the whole series. Pettersson just somehow decided to mail it in January during contract year. We knew we were going to lose so we kept Demko out and then took Boeser out in Game 6 and 7 to just create excuses.
can we stop listening to a guy who has obviously not played any kind of sports and have no conceptual idea what having an injury means? It's not just about pain tolerance, it's about the body not being able to provide the same output. tendonitis > reduce load capacity > less power and stability > slower acceleration, reduce ability to stay on the feet with external impact, reduce ability to transfer load through the legs when shooting. It's not as stupid simple as mind over body.

Boeser has f***ing blood clot, do you have any idea that blood clot is 100% life threatening? if a blood clot breaks and goes into the heart then Boeser is dead.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Wow, how naive.
Why didn't they rest him if they knew. They sat Demko extra time. It wasn't like EP was causing them to win games with his stellar play.
Even sitting him ONE game before they playoffs started would have helped him, it would have stymied most criticism of EP's play and turned down the heat and speculation. They would not even have to say what the injury was or how severe.

Conspiracy? To what end?

If it reads like a conspiracy, just quoting the team and the player with the time line and Tocchet's "honesty"?
What makes more sense? At the end of the season just say he had a knee injury to quell more questions and gain sympathy
Or
That they knew all along that he would not be worth crud and not effective? And knowing that he was injured and playing him more would exasperate the injury and make it worse, they continued to play him extra ice time and critic him during the series.
To what end? They never even made any attempt to say he was banged up or working out a small issue for 4 weeks and longer back to before the all star game.

You think the team was thinking this was good for the team?
Or a simpler answer, just say he had an injury that only needs time and not surgery as an excuse? Again especially after Dhali has been saying must have an injury, injury, injury for a week or more.

Conspiracy, ha, again to what end?
The type of injury Tocchet identified takes months to heal properly if it's a bad one. So, an off-season thing. You're taking something obvious and straightforward and making up a convoluted story about it. Sorry, but it's conspiratorial thinking.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Yes. However, he had comparable ESS/60 to Hronek, and only one of them benefitted by playing beside Quinn Hughes. All 8 goals at ES too. considering his age, i think it'd be a risk worth taking.
Chatfield had the benefit of playing 3rd pairing all season with Orlov with the easy match ups.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Even-strength shots/60? Again, not sure I would view that as a positive given the Canes' system of flinging pucks toward the net from anywhere. I would in no way expect Chatfield to deliver another 8 goals, or really any kind of offense or puck-moving ability at all. I've watched 20ish Canes games this season. You're not getting this guy for offense.

If you like Chatfield, it's because you value his pure defensive ability and think he can continue to maintain that level of defensive impact outside of Carolina's system, and in a higher role up the lineup.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if ep had tendonitis he was playing with some kind of brace that restricts mobility. overall effect depends on whether it is jumper's knee or what, and also whether it is his dominant leg. extrapolating from other sports, a few of the things it could impact are the ability to be able to go either left or right on a dman (something they would have scouted on him long before the playoffs), his ability to make tight turns, crossovers, and the ability to pivot. it might also force him to turn only one way to skate stop. he might also have been intentionally falling over and/or jumping when hit to avoid taking a hit or collapsing that knee under pressure.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
can we stop listening to a guy who has obviously not played any kind of sports and have no conceptual idea what having an injury means? It's not just about pain tolerance, it's about the body not being able to provide the same output. tendonitis > reduce load capacity > less power and stability > slower acceleration, reduce ability to stay on the feet with external impact, reduce ability to transfer load through the legs when shooting. It's not as stupid simple as mind over body.

Boeser has f***ing blood clot, do you have any idea that blood clot is 100% life threatening? if a blood clot breaks and goes into the heart then Boeser is dead.

It was sarcasm.

Frank Seravalli is a hack. Media has just gone down the shits overall. Journalists now feel compelled to provide additional commentary or stretch content out instead of reporting facts.

Reactions: Flik and arttk

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Even-strength shots/60? Again, not sure I would view that as a positive given the Canes' system of flinging pucks toward the net from anywhere. I would in no way expect Chatfield to deliver another 8 goals, or really any kind of offense or puck-moving ability at all. I've watched 20ish Canes games this season. You're not getting this guy for offense.

If you like Chatfield, it's because you value his pure defensive ability and think he can continue maintain that level of defensive impact outside of Carolina's system, and in a higher role up the lineup.
Time will tell, but his offensive game was very good last season.

1716584773972.png

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I'm not sure how interested the Canucks should be in Chatfield. Seems like he's picked up some buzz, but IMO he's a player that really benefits from playing in Carolina's system. It's a big help to lesser skilled guys, as their system basically simplifies what they need to do in the DZ...which is just hack the puck up the wall whenever they touch it. He's most played on their third pair too.
On the other hand, isn't that the strength of Tocchet's system in that it completely rescues guys like Myers (and arguably Soucy, Juulsen for 2 months) by telling them exactly what needs to be done?

Reactions: racerjoe

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Time will tell, but his offensive game was very good last season.

View attachment 875362
Again, he's benefitted from playing lower in the lineup, and lower ice-time can kinda mess with the per 60 stats.

From a qualitative standpoint, if you want to watch this guy play and make the case he's a strong offensive player....you can go ahead. He's basically the same as Vince Dunn! Free 1D!

Last edited:
Reactions: ManVanFan

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
On the other hand, isn't that the strength of Tocchet's system in that it completely rescues guys like Myers (and arguably Soucy, Juulsen for 2 months) by telling them exactly what needs to be done?
There are similarities between Tocc and the RBA's system in the NZ and OZ.

In the DZ, they are quite different. Tocc's DZ system is a very passive zone coverage. Everyone holds their position and basically only contest if there is a clear loose puck or 50/50 battle. But when a D gets to a puck, they need to have some ability to make an exit play, as the forwards are also collapsed (and the Canucks forward group is not particularly fast to track down punted pucks). We've seen the games in the playoffs against EDM where the Canucks are just punting pucks, they look terrible and are decidedly outplayed.

RBA famously runs a man-on-man system in the DZ, where every player engages with their man. If someone misses a check, the next guy sprints at that man and they hope they can disrupt the play. When they get to a puck, they just huck it out of the zone and have the forwards sprint onto it. Their system is designed around punting pucks. I think it's a different demand on the defensemen - more about athleticism and battling, than patience/making a play.

Reactions: alternate and God

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Again, he's benefitted from playing lower in the lineup, and lower ice-time can kinda mess with the per 60 stats.

From a qualitative standpoint, if you want to watch this guy play and make the case he's a strong offensive player....you can go ahead. He's basically the same Vince Dunn! Free 1D!
Carolina forwards 10 out of top 15 in the league in puck possession. (I choose 11 games as a minimum). Some Canes players do better outside of the Rod's no non sense offensive system that allows all to succeed and not get the best out of individuals.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Chatfield looked pretty solid in an elevated post season role (top 3 ES minutes and even saw some time on the PK). Interesting target. solid production from a bottom pair defender. Is he a candidate to elevate to a top 4 role...or is he the second coming of tucker poolman? Someone will almost surely bet on him being a top 4 guy and he'll probably be a lot closer to $4MM than $2MM. i have him penciled into a half dozen or so hypothetical back ends and i use $3.5MM.

At what term? If his term is 3 years, then I can see $3.5m, if it's 4 or more, then I think closer to $3m makes sense.

In that line-up, I have him at 5 years at $2m AAV. Trying to re-work the roster with him at $3m AAV for 4 years.

Yeah, it will be very interesting to see what management does. I know I'd prefer to bring back the D than Lindholm. Sign someone like David Perron for Petey's wing.

I want DeBrusk/Tarasenko if the team misses out on Lindholm/Guentzel.

Pigs will fly in a frozen hell before Hronek gets anything close to $8 million.

However, you've gone way under on Chatfield so the $10 million you have both in at is probably about right.

That Hronek valuation is the worst case scenario. He likely won't get it here, I know.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Carolina forwards 10 out of top 15 in the league in puck possession. (I choose 11 games as a minimum). Some Canes players do better outside of the Rod's no non sense offensive system that allows all to succeed and not get the best out of individuals.
Rod's system sets themselves up well to get the most out of competitive but underskilled players. Guys like Chatfield, Noesen, Martinook kinda fall into this category.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

Do people listen to Matt Sekeres or Jeff Paterson or Jason Botchford back in the day? Those guys were as much of an athlete as Screech Powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad