Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
The thing with Lindholm is that he was an excellent 3rd line centre and a pretty good 2nd line centre here. And that was over a very limited sample size. To me there's a pretty good gulf between his perceived value and his actual value.
Value differs team to team too. Vancouver has Miller and Pettersson that are very good top 6 centers and are paid like it. A team like Boston that has Charlie Coyle making 5.25M as their top center. They could easily give 8M to Lindholm and make it work.

Reactions: sting101 and Vector

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Necas for Hronek
Dump Mikheyev
Sign Guentzel, Tanev, X

Hoglander Pettersson Guentzel
Necas Miller Boeser
Joshua Suter Garland
Podkolzin X PDG

Hughes Tanev
Soucy Myers
Zadorov Juulsen

This fits.. right?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Necas for Hronek
Dump Mikheyev
Sign Guentzel

Hoglander Pettersson Guentzel
Necas Miller Boeser
Joshua Suter Garland
Podkolzin X PDG

Hughes Tanev
Soucy Myers
Zadorov Juulsen

This fits.. right?
Switch Guentzel and Necas.

And if you can do a deal around Hoglander+ for Necas, that's a steal for Van.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Hurricanes Management:
-Don Waddell has permission to talk to other teams
-in the last year of his contract
-this has happened with them before; he met with Minnesota a few years ago
-believes this is more serious than in the past; very good chance he will not be back with the Hurricanes
-organization is sending out signals that they will have a GM search
-has already interviewed with the Blue Jackets
-Tulsky has a big influence and seems obvious he should just get promoted
*Tuslky named Interim-GM today*

Martin Necas:
-belives the Bruins and Hurricanes talked about an Ullmark deal but doesn't know if it involved Necas
-Necas dad said, in a Czech interview, that "yeah it's time" (to move on)
-Necas and the Hurricanes don't see each other in the same value
-a lot of teams looking at him
-had someone say to him that they were willing to bet him a steak dinner that there's no way they buy out Kotkaniemi because the Hurricanes and other organizations, including the Canucks, like him
-Necas was in the proposed Pettersson deal
-wonders if there's something there still; not for Pettersson
-proposes Necas for Hronek

Elias Lindholm:
-Bruins liked him before he was traded to Vancouver
-Bruins will be a big player for him if he gets to UFA
-Chandler Stephenson is another player on the Bruins list
-has heard there's been a bit of a full court press by one or more Canucks players to convince him to stay

Canucks:
-Canucks really like playing with each other
-agents will present options to players about what they will leave on the table if they stay
-would bet Miller is one of the guys trying to get Lindholm to stay
-thought it was interesting that some players refuse to talk about their injures
-Hronek is believed to have an "elbow-thing"
-thinks Pettersson, with no distractions, will come back and have a much better season
-need to figure out what to do around the tentpoles
-will take a run at Lindholm and Zadorov

Tocchet:
-Friedman is not a member of the broadcasters association so didn't get a vote
-Tocchet used to get really upset on the bench from mistakes but has changed and is much calmer
-has a good staff around him has helped
-is on a 4 year contract
-if he wants it, could be with Vancouver for a LONG LONG time
-thinks this is one of the reason Colliton is looking around

Jim Gregory Award:
-Friedman did have a vote
-Allvin is not necessarily the main decision maker in the organization
-Nill and Zito are the main decision makers
-clear Friedman didn't have Allvin on his ballot

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
After listening to Alvin yesterday, I don't think he thinks he can re-sign Joshua at a number that makes sense. I'm guessing his priorities are:
Hronek: $6Mx6 (not thrilled about this but Alvin is going to do it).
Lindholm: $7Mx4 (or 7 years if they can get the avg cap hit down to $5M with front end loading it.
Zadorov:$4.5Mx4
Myers: $2.75Mx2

promote:
Podkolzin: $1M
Bains: $871K
Silovs: $1M

That gives 13F, 6D and 2G with about $500K cap space remaining. They then need to get creative. They need to free up at least $1M to sign two league minimum D men to fill the roster. Best bet is to get Lindholm's contract down by at least $1M. I think this is the baseline. If they can't sign the above for those $ then they need to move on.

The next obvious move would be to trade Mikheyev with retention and an asset to free up >$3M. If that's doable then I would seriously considered not signing Lindholm and going after Reinhart or Guentzel instead.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
After listening to Alvin yesterday, I don't think he thinks he can re-sign Joshua at a number that makes sense. I'm guessing his priorities are:
Lindholm: $7Mx4 (or 7 years if they can get the avg cap hit down to $5M with front end loading it.

promote:

That gives 13F, 6D and 2G with about $500K cap space remaining. They then need to get creative. They need to free up at least $1M to sign two league minimum D men to fill the roster. Best bet is to get Lindholm's contract down by at least $1M. I think this is the baseline. If they can't sign the above for those $ then they need to move on.

The next obvious move would be to trade Mikheyev with retention and an asset to free up >$3M. If that's doable then I would seriously considered not signing Lindholm and going after Reinhart or Guentzel instead.
I think your projections are too optimistic/low.
Hronek at $6.5 x 7 years is the bare minimum he signs for. Realistically, likely around $7-7.5 mill x 7.

Lindholm will want at least $6.5-7 x 6-7 years.

Zadorov probably wants more term.

Myers is realistic but probably will sign for $3 mill given his role in the playoffs.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Jim Gregory Award:
1716573256844.jpeg

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Necas dad has also said he wants to play Center not wing. It seems as Petey wants to be in the center also and not the wing. Carolina needs a legit 2LC. They need the rights to Lindholm. lol.

This is why Necas doesn't work here: Most of the tension between him and CAR is that he wants to play centre and Brind'Amour doesn't want him there.

If he comes here, he'll want the same thing.

Last, with Tulky getting interim GM, I think he would be smart enough to value Garland maybe over and above most other teams. He is the player to include in a potential Necas deal (rights to Lindholm on top). Failing that, maybe a basis for Kotkaniemi (though I would hesitate there).

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Canucks:
-agents will present options to players about what they will leave on the table if they stay
-thought it was interesting that some players refuse to talk about their injures
-thinks Pettersson, with no distractions, will come back and have a much better season

Er the what now? They can easily get tent poles at MEC...

Reactions: oceanchild

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Curious how much of the smoke and fire around the Hurricanes is real. Waddell is gone and Tulsky is the interim that is likely to keep the GM title. He was already the main hockey guy there. We know the Canucks and Hurricanes have talked and discussed Necas in the phantom Pettersson deal. We know the Hurricanes love Hoglander. They have made one trade together (Bear).

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

promote:

You’re going to be disappointed.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Curious how much of the smoke and fire around the Hurricanes is real. Waddell is gone and Tulsky is the interim that is likely to keep the GM title. He was already the main hockey guy there. We know the Canucks and Hurricanes have talked and discussed Necas in the phantom Pettersson deal. We know the Hurricanes love Hoglander. They have made one trade together (Bear).
I thought about this too. It could just be Rutherford hitting two birds with one stone. Perhaps he believes neither Lindholm nor Hronek want to leave Vancouver and he just needs to prove to them that he has other options if neither comes around.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
As far as KK goes, two parts of the puzzle would be acquisition cost and trust in our pro scouts.

Shouldn't cost anything to acquire (Mikheyev straight up) and this FO has earned the benefit of the doubt. So if they acquired him, I'd be open minded to it. Plus, we need more Finns just as a general philosophy imo.
it would/should be a no brainer if that was the cost. I think people forget how young he is and how difficult it is to play C in the NHL. This season was absolutely a step back, no argument from me, but his 22/23 season which he played entirely at the ripe old age of 22, was solid:

1716573593080.png

Joel Eriksson Ek at the same age (actually a little older as he turned 23 mid season)

1716573763674.png

Elias Lindholm at the same age (actually a little older as he turned 23 earlyish that season)

1716574038752.png

an acquiring team is getting what amounts to a two season call option on a young C at what appears to be a not so great cap hit if he remains the player we saw last year, but if he gets back to his 22/23 form, you're getting FMV for him and if he levels up from there and can play in the top 6, he's a steal. IF things don't work out, he can be bought out for peanuts in the summer of 2026.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
.. would he even be on VAN’s first unit PP given how they want a left shot in the bumper? would miller move there?

also, any trade here is surely including hoglander/mikheyev +, hronek, or garland given the money situation

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is why Necas doesn't work here: Most of the tension between him and CAR is that he wants to play centre and Brind'Amour doesn't want him there.

Last, with Tulky getting interim GM, I think he would be smart enough to value Garland maybe over and above most other teams. He is the player to include in a potential Necas deal (rights to Lindholm on top). Failing that, maybe a basis for Kotkaniemi (though I would hesitate there).

I dunno if he can actually play NHL centre, but the Canucks typically like guys who can play wing or centre, I'm also not entirely convinced they don't see Pettersson as rotational as well, and are comfortable with him on the wing with the right centre. Maybe they'd just prefer signing Necas to $7.5M on term to signing Lindholm to a similar contract.

Reactions: sting101

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Hurricanes Management:
-Don Waddell has permission to talk to other teams
-in the last year of his contract
-this has happened with them before; he met with Minnesota a few years ago
-believes this is more serious than in the past; very good chance he will not be back with the Hurricanes
-organization is sending out signals that they will have a GM search
-has already interviewed with the Blue Jackets
-Tulsky has a big influence and seems obvious he should just get promoted
*Tuslky named Interim-GM today*

Martin Necas:
-belives the Bruins and Hurricanes talked about an Ullmark deal but doesn't know if it involved Necas
-Necas dad said, in a Czech interview, that "yeah it's time" (to move on)
-Necas and the Hurricanes don't see each other in the same value
-a lot of teams looking at him
-had someone say to him that they were willing to bet him a steak dinner that there's no way they buy out Kotkaniemi because the Hurricanes and other organizations, including the Canucks, like him
-Necas was in the proposed Pettersson deal
-wonders if there's something there still; not for Pettersson
-proposes Necas for Hronek

Elias Lindholm:
-Bruins liked him before he was traded to Vancouver
-Bruins will be a big player for him if he gets to UFA
-Chandler Stephenson is another player on the Bruins list
-has heard there's been a bit of a full court press by one or more Canucks players to convince him to stay

Canucks:

Tocchet:
-Friedman is not a member of the broadcasters association so didn't get a vote
-Tocchet used to get really upset on the bench from mistakes but has changed and is much calmer
-has a good staff around him has helped
-is on a 4 year contract
-if he wants it, could be with Vancouver for a LONG LONG time
-thinks this is one of the reason Colliton is looking around

Jim Gregory Award:
-Friedman did have a vote
-Nill and Zito are the main decision makers
-clear Friedman didn't have Allvin on his ballot

Always appreciate you writing these up!

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Defensive liability and soft and wants 10 million . Think again. Was talking to buddies about this yesterday . Surprised media took so long to put this one together . Easy clicks for Canucks community.

Last edited:

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024

I wouldn't want a Dad, that speaks like that to the media either. Similar to Cody Hodgson's dad. To me a trade with Carolina doesn't make much sense for either team. It could be worked but I think Van should look at other avenues.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
I just don’t see the trade fit between the Canucks/Canes regarding Necas. You can’t trade Garland as he’s too key to the team on the ice+locker room, trading Hronek leaves a massive crevasse at RHD, and Hoglander would need to be significantly added to in order to make a deal work.

I’d do something around Hoglander + rights to Lindholm (would he actually want to go back?), but that 1st would likely need to go the other way, a prospect like EP2, and then the 2nd would need to be used to dump Mikheyev at a minimum. I’m just not seeing it.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad