Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hronek Hoglander for Necas is a no brainer for me if they believe Lekkerimaki can make an impact soon. Gonna have to pay Hoglander top6 money after next year and he's still a tweener that is probably best as a energy btm6 but at his size his value will plummet the next time he puts pen to paper without improving his game quite a bit

Sign Matt Roy in free agency to replace Hronek

Now that would be the kind of Vegas like cutthroat boldness we need to getting better

Reactions: TruGr1t

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Hronek Hoglander for Necas is a no brainer for me if they believe Lekkerimaki can make an impact soon. Gonna have to pay Hoglander top6 money after next year and he's still a tweener that is probably best as a energy btm6 but at his size his value will plummet the next time he puts pen to paper without improving his game quite a bit
Good lord.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Necas is an interesting target. He's got that dynamic rush offense ability, which is a big deficiency for the Canucks right now. Obviously has some skill. IIRC he did form an effective PK tandem with Aho a while ago, but they moved away from it.

Kind of an enigma in RBA's system, coupled with defensive flaws. I would worry that the same thing would happen under Tocchet.

I honestly don't think Carolina would be trading him for Hronek though. I think the Canucks would need to convert Hronek into some other kinds of assets first.

Reactions: Szechwan

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
at a really simple level,

suter - miller - boeser
garland - pettersson - (6-8.5 million top six fw)
? - ? - ? (available cap depending on how much they spend on a second line winger but definitely in the 4.5-7ish total ballpark)
pdg - blueger (2.1ish?) - podkolzin
bains - aman

hughes - hronek (only if he's signing around the 7 number)
soucy - tanev/demelo/roy/walker whatever (~5ish?)
dillon (2.5ish?) - juulsen
brisebwah

demko
silovs

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Maybe?

View attachment 875325

Trades:
- Mikheyev to CLB for Texier's rights. Taking the optimistic route that he still has marginal trade value.
- Poolman's salary traded to the Sharks for non-roster assets.

Re-Signing Lindholm while keeping Joshua and Garland means limited changes elsewhere. Tried to go for value with Myers, Chatfield, Texier and Jones.
Chatfield looked pretty solid in an elevated post season role (top 3 ES minutes and even saw some time on the PK). Interesting target. solid production from a bottom pair defender. Is he a candidate to elevate to a top 4 role...or is he the second coming of tucker poolman? Someone will almost surely bet on him being a top 4 guy and he'll probably be a lot closer to $4MM than $2MM. i have him penciled into a half dozen or so hypothetical back ends and i use $3.5MM.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
They must think all or most fans are stupid. The lack of respect they are showing fans, what are they thinking?
The EP "injury"? When was that thought up?
EP says late January, allstar game, around then.
3 weeks before the TDL.
The injury, if true, needs time off to heal.
The team insisted they were going to try to win in the playoffs.
The team needed a scoring winger but had no cap space.
Tocchet states EP has to move his feet faster, that he (EP) needs to step it up (paraphrase), but did it publicly, Tocchet doesn't lie, that has been stated a few times.
EP doesn't know what the injury is, "my knee hurt the more I used it", Tocchet knows or states the exact injury, so he knew? If he did then he also knew the more he played EP the more his game would deteriorate.
The question now becomes was the injury conjured up to satisfy fans and for the set up that Dahli created? He has been going on about "you see, after the season he will be reported he had an injury". Dahli has been doing the work of of a team marketing person apparently.
He is championing the 11 mil player, the team hardly says anything at all. Like playing horrible needs and excuse. These are pros, how many players on the team were impressed by EP getting prime minutes with an injury that is that debilitating and how they lost most game by a single goal.

This whole sudden injury, which does have physical impairment, limping, manifested itself and EP didn't know what is was called, a result is that Tocchet lies. Demko was sat out and he was ready to play. I don't disagree that going with the hot hand was wrong but Demko not getting a sniff but playing EP continuously, criticizing him and endangering a more severe result, which is the most likely outcome. This might have changed the attitude of the fan base towards the honesty of all the management and the player.

And now Dahli is forgiving and creating an excuse for EP, usually the job of the team not a sports show.
Tell me more about conspiracies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I really don't think it's fair but maybe I am bias. I can find you a player similar to Necas that would be available, you can't find a player like Hronek that will be available a top right shot defence-man (maybe Montour but he will likely be resigned or want a lot money in Ufa). He played almost 24 mins a game, 27 defence-man played more than him, Thinking you can replace him with Tanev or Pesce is crazy. Tanev played 19.40 play him over 21 mins a game and he won't make it to game 82 look what happened to Cole at the end of the regular season.

Also I wouldn't mind a Drury for Hoglander swap included in the deal top get our third line center.

Hronek and Necas had the same number of 5 v 5 points. One is a top pairing RD, the other is a winger who may not receive a qualifying offer.

Hronek for Necas bad.

I'm not saying I'd like the trade. There's a logic to it, though. Management uses the one trade piece they have to pick up a long-term offensive player instead of overpaying on old UFAs in a pretty weak forward market. Then dips into the UFA defencemen market, which is quite strong.

I think Hronek should be worth than Necas and the Hurricanes should be adding. I don't think the NHL views it that way, though.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
No joke, this is the best compliment anyone could give me. Whole reason I started doing this was because I got frustrated with Taj and the others selectively summarizing parts. I just want accurate info and realized I have a desk job that let's me do this.

It's highly appreciated. I've never had the patience to sit through all the interviews and some of the awful questions asked. Those summaries are fantastic and gives all the info we'd actually want to hear/read.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Necas is a fine target, but not for Hronek. I know a lot of folks have soured on Hronek, but he’s still worth more than Necas.

I doubt it would be that simple, Canucks would also probably like to dump Mikheyev in the deal if possible.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
:) I wanted to see what I could do with Hronek at his $8m AAV demand.

I think that roster levels what the Canucks finished the year with, but it doesn't better it. Zadorov is batter than Jones/Chatfield, but I like Chatfield better than Cole. Lindholm would be playing the entire year and a healthy Pettersson with not-Mikheyev-Texier would be better. Silovs would also be better than DeSmith.

It's an improvement at the margins. The big positions are the same.

Gah, you're right on both. Things are going to be tight.

Pigs will fly in a frozen hell before Hronek gets anything close to $8 million.

However, you've gone way under on Chatfield so the $10 million you have both in at is probably about right.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Necas is an interesting target. He's got that dynamic rush offense ability, which is a big deficiency for the Canucks right now. Obviously has some skill. IIRC he did form an effective PK tandem with Aho a while ago, but they moved away from it.

Kind of an enigma in RBA's system, coupled with defensive flaws. I would worry that the same thing would happen under Tocchet.

I honestly don't think Carolina would be trading him for Hronek though. I think the Canucks would need to convert Hronek into some other kinds of assets first.
You should absolutely be able to net assets in a move like that too, Hronek is more valuable than Necas.

I'm not saying I'd like the trade. There's a logic to it, though. Management uses the one trade piece they have to pick up a long-term offensive player instead of overpaying on old UFAs in a pretty weak forward market. Then dips into the UFA defencemen market, which is quite strong.

I think Hronek should be worth than Necas and the Hurricanes should be adding. I don't think the NHL views it that way, though.
The NHL seems to think Necas should walk to UFA.

Reactions: theguardianII

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Chatfield looked pretty solid in an elevated post season role (top 3 ES minutes and even saw some time on the PK). Interesting target. solid production from a bottom pair defender. Is he a candidate to elevate to a top 4 role...or is he the second coming of tucker poolman? Someone will almost surely bet on him being a top 4 guy and he'll probably be a lot closer to $4MM than $2MM. i have him penciled into a half dozen or so hypothetical back ends and i use $3.5MM.
I'm not sure how interested the Canucks should be in Chatfield. Seems like he's picked up some buzz, but IMO he's a player that really benefits from playing in Carolina's system. It's a big help to lesser skilled guys, as their system basically simplifies what they need to do in the DZ...which is just hack the puck up the wall whenever they touch it. He's most played on their third pair too.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

Sign Matt Roy in free agency to replace Hronek

Now that would be the kind of Vegas like cutthroat boldness we need to getting better
i'd expect carolina to add significantly to necas for hronek.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You should absolutely be able to net assets in a move like that too, Hronek is more valuable than Necas.

The NHL seems to think Necas should walk to UFA.
I think most here agree that Hronek should have more value than Necas, and there would have to be a plus on that end. I just don't see Carolina, in particular, viewing Hronek as the target/centerpiece they want. They're going to let go of multiple prime-age defensemen because they don't want to overpay them, so I don't get why they'd pay Necas+ to do that with Hronek. Like I said, maybe if VAN converts Hronek into other assets first, there's a Necas deal.

There are definitely some other offense-starved teams out there that would have interest in Necas.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
A Necas deal imo would probably look something like:

Necas, KK for Hronek, Mikheyev, Hoglander

Not sure this is how a new GM looks to make his first stamp, but definitely smoke around these two teams.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Dude take the tinfoil hat off and get some fresh air once in a while.

Dahli didn't create any injury.

Tell me more about conspiracies.
Wow, how naive.
Why didn't they rest him if they knew. They sat Demko extra time. It wasn't like EP was causing them to win games with his stellar play.
Even sitting him ONE game before they playoffs started would have helped him, it would have stymied most criticism of EP's play and turned down the heat and speculation. They would not even have to say what the injury was or how severe.

Conspiracy? To what end?

If it reads like a conspiracy, just quoting the team and the player with the time line and Tocchet's "honesty"?
What makes more sense? At the end of the season just say he had a knee injury to quell more questions and gain sympathy
Or
That they knew all along that he would not be worth crud and not effective? And knowing that he was injured and playing him more would exasperate the injury and make it worse, they continued to play him extra ice time and critic him during the series.
To what end? They never even made any attempt to say he was banged up or working out a small issue for 4 weeks and longer back to before the all star game.

You think the team was thinking this was good for the team?
Or a simpler answer, just say he had an injury that only needs time and not surgery as an excuse? Again especially after Dhali has been saying must have an injury, injury, injury for a week or more.

Conspiracy, ha, again to what end?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Noted Oilers' glazer Frank Servalli accusing Petey and the Canucks of making up his knee issue as an excuse for his poor play is something.

He's right. Our pathetic franchise was cowardly the whole series. Pettersson just somehow decided to mail it in January during contract year. We knew we were going to lose so we kept Demko out and then took Boeser out in Game 6 and 7 to just create excuses.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I think most here agree that Hronek should have more value than Necas, and there would have to be a plus on that end. I just don't see Carolina, in particular, viewing Hronek as the target/centerpiece they want. They're going to let go of multiple prime-age defensemen because they don't want to overpay them, so I don't get why they'd pay Necas+ to do that with Hronek. Like I said, maybe if VAN converts Hronek into other assets first, there's a Necas deal.

There are definitely some other offense-starved teams out there that would have interest in Necas.
I agree, I’m skeptical of the rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad