Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Off-Season Edition | Not satisfied, so now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He had a Mikheyev drop off this year. Lol. He had 13 points in the first 15 games. 12 points in the next 64 games. He had good line mates too. Necas, Svechnikov.

There isn't value to the Hurricanes for sure. I'd do Wolanin and Tristan Nielsen and I'd ask Carolina to retain 800k a year honestly. Very little value to Carolina but big risk reward for the team taking him on.

I want the Hurricanes to retain and Canucks to buy him out just so they can tie up their retention slot for about 57 years. Like with OEL and the Coyotes Utah Hockey Club.

Reactions: oceanchild

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The key points are that Pesce has lost a step and the expectation was that he'd be up for a big long-term contract while Tanev's game hasn't slipped all that much and, prior to the hype of this season, you'd think he get shorter term with a far lower cap hit.

right - but maybe that just allows a team to buy low on pesce?

somewhat of an oversimplification, but imo there's two potential pathways with tanev - one, he keeps up a high level of play for another year or two, or... he goes full ian cole at some point next season. not that big of a risk on a short term deal, but depends on what window the team wants to maximize; i'm personally very interested in the next three years with hughes on this deal and not too worried about what happens after that (right now). i also think some of the numbers thrown out for tanev are wildly low. his league wide reputation has finally caught up to what it should have been in like, 2016.

pesce lost a step... but if he re-gains it, he's a bonafide top pairing defenseman for the next half decade. if he doesn't, he's still a good second pairing defender. if he loses another step or two... yea that's bad. but maybe playing with hughes gives him a whole new level. then we're laughing.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
right - but maybe that just allows a team to buy low on pesce?

somewhat of an oversimplification, but imo there's two potential pathways with tanev - one, he keeps up a high level of play for another year or two, or... he goes full ian cole at some point next season. not that big of a risk on a short term deal, but depends on what window the team wants to maximize; i'm personally very interested in the next three years with hughes on this deal and not too worried about what happens after that (right now). i also think some of the numbers thrown out for tanev are wildly low. his league wide reputation has finally caught up to what it should have been in like, 2016.

pesce lost a step... but if he re-gains it, he's a bonafide top pairing defenseman for the next half decade. if he doesn't, he's still a good second pairing defender. if he loses another step or two... yea that's bad. but maybe playing with hughes gives him a whole new level. then we're laughing.

Has there ever really been an instance of a defenceman gradually losing speed and pivot ability then suddenly regaining it? That's a big if.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I want the Hurricanes to retain and Canucks to buy him out just so they can tie up their retention slot for about 57 years. Like with OEL and the Coyotes Utah Hockey Club.
Hahaha. Speaking of buyouts. Ryan Johansen is gonna be bought out. He kinds of sucks and sounds pretty whiny but for 900k a year I'd give him a shot.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Has there ever really been an instance of a defenceman gradually losing speed and pivot ability then suddenly regaining it? That's a big if.

lol should've added the disclaimer again... i'm asking a question about a player i've watched play maybe 2-3 games this entire season. watched a few of the canes playoff games but he was hurt.

i'm assuming his decline was injury related? if that's not true, then fair enough.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
lol should've added the disclaimer again... i'm asking a question about a player i've watched play maybe 2-3 games this entire season. watched a few of the canes playoff games but he was hurt.

i'm assuming his decline was injury related? if that's not true, then fair enough.

Yeah, I haven't watched him much at all so this is second hand information but it sounds like it's been a gradual decline over the last few years. Caused by just playing a lot of hockey rather than any specific injury.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Hahaha. Speaking of buyouts. Ryan Johansen is gonna be bought out. He kinds of sucks and sounds pretty whiny but for 900k a year I'd give him a shot.

Last I heard, he's injured and won't be eligible to be bought out. He's also a locker room cancer. Was kicked off the Avalanche. Has been kicked off a lot of teams recently.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It's the "contract hoop" jumping that has to be continually done. Figure it out, get it stable then make the additions.

If the Canucks go for Necas, have to figure Hronek is going the other way, and also that Lindholm is going to free agency.

Apparently Friedman also said there's a "full court press" by a number of Canucks to try and convince Lindholm to stay in Vancouver.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
As far as KK goes, two parts of the puzzle would be acquisition cost and trust in our pro scouts.

Shouldn't cost anything to acquire (Mikheyev straight up) and this FO has earned the benefit of the doubt. So if they acquired him, I'd be open minded to it. Plus, we need more Finns just as a general philosophy imo.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Tanev was bad in game 1 vs the Oilers, overpowered by Hyman on 1 goal and not quick enough to get to McDavid on the OT winner. Dallas defencemen were beat frequently during game 1, our D was very good in hindsight at 1-on-1 coverage. Our forwards (lack of puck retrieval and puck possession) was our weak spot.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

I really like the idea of Necas in our top-six. He would be an incredibly dynamic player to put alongside Pettersson.

I know the initial speculation is Hronek—but could it be Garland instead? Carolina could be looking for cost certainty and he certainly strikes me as the type of player that Brind'Amour would covet.

Vancouver might see value in having two Czech's on the roster if it might compel them to take a team-friendly deal.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Yeah, I haven't watched him much at all so this is second hand information but it sounds like it's been a gradual decline over the last few years. Caused by just playing a lot of hockey rather than any specific injury.

I do wonder if a change in system would help Pesce refind his game. Much harder physically to be chasing your man around the DZ in a man coverage scheme, compared to our system which is much more about getting to the right spot at the right time.

I'm not against offering him a contract, but it needs to acknowledge the risk involved. Feel a team trying to get into bubble status will be willing to out bid.

Reactions: Vector

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
If the Canucks go for Necas, have to figure Hronek is going the other way, and also that Lindholm is going to free agency.

Apparently Friedman also said there's a "full court press" by a number of Canucks to try and convince Lindholm to stay in Vancouver.
I really want Lindholm back. Maybe I overrate him but he's definitely one of my favorite Canucks.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024

Necas dad has also said he wants to play Center not wing. It seems as Petey wants to be in the center also and not the wing. Carolina needs a legit 2LC. They need the rights to Lindholm. lol.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I really want Lindholm back. Maybe I overrate him but he's definitely one of my favorite Canucks.

The thing with Lindholm is that he was an excellent 3rd line centre and a pretty good 2nd line centre here. And that was over a very limited sample size. To me there's a pretty good gulf between his perceived value and his actual value.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
All of this Carolina talk has made me feel a certain type of way again.

I need a trade to satisfy the itch... right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad