Rumor: Canucks making their final offer on Zadorov this weekend. There are rumblings that some teams are prepared to offer him 6x6 on July 1

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
- Big Z is Chara.
- Canucks will overpay because they will panic.
- Bouchard was the best dman in the Canucks/Oilers series.
- Chara doesn’t play in the league anymore.
- Canucks don’t need to panic, they don’t have issues with signing players.
- Bouchard was the best from a points perspective but not actual play.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
- Chara doesn’t play in the league anymore.
- Canucks don’t need to panic, they don’t have issues with signing players.
- Bouchard was the best from a points perspective but not actual play.
How can you say Zadorov isn't worth 6 million if he is better than Bouchard, how much do you think Bouchard is worth?

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
While there are limits I wouldn’t cross, in terms of money, but when it comes to length, Canucks need to bit the bullet on this one…don’t let stupidity ruin what you have going…sign him

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I would do 4-4.5mil for 7-8 years as a Canucks fan. I much prefer this over giving him 5+ for 4-6 years.

The key for me is to keep the AAV down and offer term as the cap rises.

This. He’s just flat out not a 6 million dollar dman. But 4 is pretty good, and the rising cap will be make the term less of an issue. 4x8 gets him almost as much as the 6x6 he’s looking for.

Enlighten me a bit. Is Z a top 4 D? Are people here knocking his ability because the Leafs are interested?

Be honest. What is the truth here.

Some here are saying 5.5 x 5 is fair. So what is it?

He’s a really good #5, who has stretches where he looks like a second pairing guy. I wouldn’t go above like 4 for him, but GMs love big physical dmen. Someone will sign him for way more than he’s worth, hoping he can keep up his form he displayed in the playoffs. The question is will he?

Reactions: PuckG

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
How many times do guys have to see these players sign deals that destroy their career like Nurse’s and still do it? Sign for 4.5, take the haircut, be a fan favorite and win with minimal criticism.

Signing 6x6 means you’ll be an LTIR or buyout after years of getting shit on and hyper analyzed by the fans. It also means your chances to win something in that stretch are that much higher. Sometimes less is more. I’d be angling towards 8 years at a discounted rate like 4m and planning an LTIR-retirement at the end. He could win something in Vancouver, be a fan favorite and make a ton of money on sponsorships and merch but at 6-7m, he’ll be hated and ridiculed by everybody after even just one bad game.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Enlighten me a bit. Is Z a top 4 D? Are people here knocking his ability because the Leafs are interested?

he's a big guy that talks to the media, not a good hockey player. He's only strength is his size. Brainfarts galore and gets beat with speed. He's 29, a 6 year contract is crazy. He might not even be effective for more than the next 2-3 years

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
he's a big guy that talks to the media, not a good hockey player. He's only strength is his size. Brainfarts galore and gets beat with speed. He's 29, a 6 year contract is crazy. He might not even be effective for more than the next 2-3 years
He's more than size. He doesn't often get beat with speed, he's a really good skater. He gets beat by poor decision making and positioning though. He has many of the tools to be an elite defenseman in the NHL - the size, the skating ability, the shot - but he is a below average puck mover, and he makes bad decisions out there regularly. He gets exposed defensively when he has to face top talent. Really, he looks like a million bucks on the bottom pair, he looks okay a lot of the time on the 2nd pair, and he'll be destroyed on a top pair - that's why he's never broken through to be more than a #4/5.

Whoever signs him to 6 X 6 will be making a mistake for sure.

Bond

May 10, 2012

He is a guy that every team in the league would want on a fair contract. I think that is closer to 4 than 5 though and 6 million would be instant whipping boy fodder.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He's more than size. He doesn't often get beat with speed, he's a really good skater. He gets beat by poor decision making and positioning though. He has many of the tools to be an elite defenseman in the NHL - the size, the skating ability, the shot - but he is a below average puck mover, and he makes bad decisions out there regularly. Whoever signs him to 6 X 6 will be making a mistake for sure.
I've seen a lot in Calgary and Vancouver and he never stood to me as someone with the tools to be elite, anyways, its all moot anyways, hes 29, he's not improving anymore in the coming years.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I can’t believe this dude is going to get $36 million

I can’t wrap my head around that.
It would be too much. Give him 7 years, and 4.85 per. Front load the cash. Depends if they can shoot Mikheyev into the sun.

Big Z is a neat player and I think Foote can bring him around even more. It would be a shame to lose him, but 6 per really skews the cap.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
It would be too much. Give him 7 years, and 4.85 per. Front load the cash. Depends if they can shoot Mikheyev into the sun.

Big Z is a neat player and I think Foote can bring him around even more. It would be a shame to lose him, but 6 per really skews the cap.
I think this is the way to go,longer term, lower cap hit. The Salary cap could be 20-30 mill higher by the time his deal becomes an issue.

Reactions: HairyKneel

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Mikheyev can be bought out and we save 4 million, pretty sure he's gone.

I like Zadorov but if 5 is the number he wants I think another option would be to sign the lightly older but more productive surrey native Dillon who's also big and mean for 3 on a three year deal even tho that brings him to 37. Then if Tanev truly does wanna retire here see if he would go for a low AAV like 2 but give more term and easy attainable bonus's.
Leaving 19 million after a Mikheyev buyout or trade to spend on Guentzel (9) Chandler Stephenson (4-5) Myers (2.5)

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Did someone really say Zadorov was a better defenseman than Bouchard in the Van-Edm series?

Come on, take the glasses off. I'm a hockey fan first, Caucks fan second.

Zadorov was a great role player in that series without question but Bouchard; while victimized a bit here and there was far and above Zadorov including numerous assists that helped tie or win 2 games for the Oilers with a game winning goal of his own in game 4.

Bouchard was absolute money in the 2nd round series and has been an absolute beast this year with 114 points in 115 games between the regular season and playoffs.

Zads was a great role player but Bouchard was absolutely the better defenseman that series

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
What an absolutely awful assessment, like did you watch him at all in the playoffs?

I'm not saying he's a stud #1 Dman, but I don't know where you get this assessment from, he turned it up when it really mattered and was a gigantic pain in the ass to play against, I don';t think he is worth more than 5, but still, come on man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad