Rumor: Canucks making their final offer on Zadorov this weekend. There are rumblings that some teams are prepared to offer him 6x6 on July 1

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I reiterate: paying a 3rd pairing guy more than 4mil is ludicrous. 4.75-5.25 is still 2nd pairing money, even with the cap going up.
How many 3rd pairing guys play 20 mins a night in the playoffs?

Many teams play their top pair big minutes, and the other 2 pretty even nowadays. I'd be pretty comfortable paying Zadorov 5 milx5 for 18-19 mins a game. Call that whatever pairing you'd like, but that is decent value for a giant UFA LD.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
No he isn’t. He gets overwhelmed any time he plays regular top 4 minutes over a long stretch. He is a #5 that can temporarily fill in as a #4 on a good team.
6x6 is Myers deja vu

Canucks arent signing him to 6x6.

He'd be a Canuck yesterday if they were willing to offer him that.

I think the most they will go is somewhere around 5.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Canucks arent signing him to 6x6.

He'd be a Canuck yesterday if they were willing to offer him that.

I think the most they will go is somewhere around 5.
Oh yeah, I think even 5x5 is walk away. Whoever signs that contract is going to regret it.

Reactions: Tempo

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
yep, I think he is a 4/5, and $6m x 6 initially seems rich to me,
but at the same time,
I love the guy and wouldn't be upset to see him come in at $5.5m because UFA deals are often inflated

Reactions: PROUD PAPA and ViD

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Oh yeah, I think even 5x5 is walk away. Whoever signs that contract is going to regret it.

5mil AAV is around 5.5 % of the salary cap for next year.

Salary cap is only going up.

5% of the cap is way more than fair value for a 2nd/3rd pairing Dman that Zadorov would be for the Canucks.

I think the walk-away number for Z is around 5.5-6mil +

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
lol a Bonafide 2nd pair guy making 5mil? Maybe if the cap was still 83.5mil

Your numbers need to be adjusted to what the cap is going to be next year and projected to be the year after (92mil)
5%. A bit more than that TBH, 5-6% I think is the sweet spot.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I am a big fan of Zadorov and that's the max cap and term I would like for him in Toronto..but no way 6 and 6
If that's the case then Van is keeping him. I'd sign him in a heartbeat to 5 x 5........I think it's gonna take another 3-500k to get him signed here though.......which i would still pay. Love what he brings to our team

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Some of y’all are so dramatic.

We’ve got Vancouver fans in here saying between 4.5-5.5 x 6 is fine - but somehow 500k more is an “albatross” contract.

Proven commodity in the playoffs, mentally sound, solid overall player. 6x6 would be fine for any team IMO. Last couple years would probably hurt but that’s July 1 for you.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Hes at best a #4, paying over 5mil for that is ugly. Yeah hes good in the playoffs, but hes a rollercoaster in the regular season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Jalen Chatfield who is a verteran AHLer and has only been a regular the last couple of seasons just signed for 3mil.

You think Big Z is only worth 1mil more than him?

Zadorov is starting to get severely under-rated here.

I think with what he brings, he is easily worth around 4.75-5.25AAV

The thing is...i don't think that Chatfield contract is at all good either. I think that was a real "canary in the coalmine" harbinger of a Free Agent Frenzy that is about to get really stupid.

$4.75-5M is probably "okay" for Zadorov, considering he's a UFA and the expected cap increases, very unique skillset and presence that he provides. But if he's holding on to the idea that teams are going to offer him a $6M x 6 Years deal and trying to leverage the Canucks into matching it...it's just way too much for what is historically, more of a #4/5 tweener. But unfortunately, i can believe that those rumors of $6M being on the table are probably credible, if stupid. He really bolstered his market with his playoff performance...and brings exactly the sort of traits that so many teams with cap space to burn are looking to add to their defence corps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad