Rumor: Canucks interested in Nikita Zaitsev?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Can someone help me.....has there ever been a d-man come out of the KHL in their mid-20's who ever amounted to a hill of beans?

Emelin comes to mind. Took his sweet time in coming over, and panned out as by and large a serviceable top-4ish defenceman on a playoff team. I think Nikitin came over late as well if i recall correctly, and was at one point, a bona fide "hill of beans" before turning to garbage, Medvedev has been...unremarkable, but something. And we're starting to see some Forwards make a splash with that sort of transition.

It's not a long list of great success stories, but the KHL hasn't been around forever either...and the number of guys who do actually make the jump late like that, is a pretty limited sample size to begin with. Don't think there's much point getting to wrapped up in some failures in the mix - it's a very "low risk" gamble for a team in the Canucks position.

Expecting a guy like this to come over and be a star who saves the day, is a fools errand. But a 24 year old RH shooting top-6 NHL defenceman "for free" would be a win for this organization, period. I really wouldn't worry about the scenario...ultimately it's about the player, not where they come from or how they get here.

snizzbone*

I think this really cuts both ways.

The Leafs already appear to have Reilly, Phaneuf, Gardiner, apparently Hunwick :laugh: and a few others who play real minutes there. It's a bit more crowded than the Canucks blueline may be (especially on the RH side) next year..

None of them are left handed though. Rielly and Phaneuf do/can play the right side, but we know Babcock loves his righties on the right, lefties on the left.

Anyways regardless of where he ends up, looks like he could be an exciting player.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
He won't come to Vancouver. He will want to sign with a contending team like Chicago, and with an entry level contract he would fit.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Emelin comes to mind. Took his sweet time in coming over, and panned out as by and large a serviceable top-4ish defenceman on a playoff team. I think Nikitin came over late as well if i recall correctly, and was at one point, a bona fide "hill of beans" before turning to garbage, Medvedev has been...unremarkable, but something. And we're starting to see some Forwards make a splash with that sort of transition.

It's not a long list of great success stories, but the KHL hasn't been around forever either...and the number of guys who do actually make the jump late like that, is a pretty limited sample size to begin with. Don't think there's much point getting to wrapped up in some failures in the mix - it's a very "low risk" gamble for a team in the Canucks position.

Expecting a guy like this to come over and be a star who saves the day, is a fools errand. But a 24 year old RH shooting top-6 NHL defenceman "for free" would be a win for this organization, period. I really wouldn't worry about the scenario...ultimately it's about the player, not where they come from or how they get here.

I think one big factor is that defensemen generally take longer to develop, particularly if moving from international sized ice to NA sized. For Euro D, time in the AHL is almost mandatory. But good Russian players tend to balk at going to the AHL.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Honestly if Benning somehow gets hime, i'll reconsider my opinion on Benning being a bad GM... probability of that is likely close to 0 tho.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sounds to me like the second coming of Nikita Nikitin or Denis Grebeshov....he'll fit right in with the Leafs.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, still speculation even if Friedman hears it. Not certain yet, despite the cred behind the rumour.

But then, anyone remember how well "The Monster" fared in TO? He's still just one player, and he'd still be signing in an even bigger sinkhole than here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad