Rumor: Canucks interested in Nikita Zaitsev?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Tryamkin is starting his 4th KHL season as a 21 year old playing 18 minutes a night.

He is far from a bust.

What's wrong with a 21 year old playing good minutes in the KHL?

Pedan is the guy I would bet on of the 2, but both should be considered viable NHL prospects.

Would love to see a Pedan/Zaitsev duo next season. 2 guys that can really hammer the puck with size and skating ability in spades. Too bad there will be 20 offers in on the skilled Russian.

Oh, my bad, last I read he was mostly playing in the MHL.

Regardless, I don't really expect much from him to be honest. Always saw him as a high-risk, high-reward type pick.

Hope he comes over soon so we can take a closer look.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Has anyone seen/heard anything more about this guy looking to make the move over to NA?
Just been watching CSKA and he was seriously impressive, involved in the play heavily in all 3 zones, looked great on the powerplay and seemed to get his shot through regularly from the point.
Really looked like a quality player.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
Well, according to Leafs fans and various Leaf blogs, it's a foregone conclussion that theyre getting him. How much that's based on anything concrete is another story. Probably wont hear much more until his season is over

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Maybe the Canucks could get Bure to go have a chat with him like Shultz had with Gretz and the Oil oldies. Not sure how Linden gets along with Pavel tho, or if Benning even knows who Bure is.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Well, according to Leafs fans and various Leaf blogs, it's a foregone conclussion that theyre getting him. How much that's based on anything concrete is another story. Probably wont hear much more until his season is over

I did have a nosey around on the main boards but I just assumed that was Leafs fans being Leafs fans.....

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well considering it's the two most reliable sources you can get, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Vancouver is a much nicer city and we could offer him top 4 minutes as well so I think we're a strong contender in this, but since he was at a Toronto training camp I believe, it looks like they might get him.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Vancouver is a much nicer city and we could offer him top 4 minutes as well so I think we're a strong contender in this, but since he was at a Toronto training camp I believe, it looks like they might get him.

A big shame if he does, as you say we can offer him top 4 minutes and it looks like he'd certainly improve our blueline somewhat.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
McKenzie or Friedman confirmed that the general view around the league is he's going to Toronto

Certainly feels like an awful lot of smoke about Toronto...pretty safe to assume there's some fire there.

But you never know. It's not over 'till it's over. :dunno:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Certainly feels like an awful lot of smoke about Toronto...pretty safe to assume there's some fire there.

Never thought I'd have to admit it, but the Leafs blueline is actually in better shape than ours....if Benning isn't seriously in on Zaitsev he should be.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

I think the leafs have the inside track because they invited him to Toronto while he was under the radar but now that he's kind of a bigger deal I wouldn't be shocked to see one of the big American teams making a more tantalizing offer

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dion will be on their blueline for 4 more years.;)

Touche....good point....that contract is even more untradeable than Sbisa's...but Zaitsev is already 24....not a raw rookie....and watching Nikita Nikitin and Anton Belov ply their trades for the Oilers, I get a little queasy about veteran KHL d-men.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Touche....good point....that contract is even more untradeable than Sbisa's...but Zaitsev is already 24....not a raw rookie....and watching Nikita Nikitin and Anton Belov ply their trades for the Oilers, I get a little queasy about veteran KHL d-men.

I think this really cuts both ways.

The Leafs already appear to have Reilly, Phaneuf, Gardiner, apparently Hunwick :laugh: and a few others who play real minutes there. It's a bit more crowded than the Canucks blueline may be (especially on the RH side) next year.

And as you said...this isn't some kid who is going to come over and putter around in the minors for a few years. He's going to be expected (and expecting) to jump straight to an NHL role right away. We've got so much up in the air...he'd get a shot here, without a doubt. That's probably the best thing we have to offer him at this point.

Who knows how it turns out. But it does look like Toronto has to be the odds on favourite to land him, unfortunately.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
We never get these free agents. clearly he is going to the Leafs

why are we even talking about this. 15 to 20 teams are interested in this guy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can someone help me.....has there ever been a d-man come out of the KHL in their mid-20's who ever amounted to a hill of beans?

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Anyone forget he is a Russian? Russians don't sign in Vancouver. We don't have any, they don't know what Vancouver has to offer, why would he sign here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad