Canucks for real?

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Did i say it wasnt our fault? I merely point out in a thread discussing whether this team is for real or not- that they are not as good as their winning streak indicates

Honestly though, the Canucks are only this bad against the Flames for some reason. It's a bad match up for the Canucks. The other games in the winning streak they were better team in the majority of them.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I hope not, I am only happy the young talent like horvat (especially) and stetcher, baertschi are excelling. Otherwise we should be rebuilding and drafting top young talent. I dont see this going anywhere currently, if we make playoffs (and thats a big if) i see a first round exit, if we dont i just see less draft options for us at the top. Although maybe it does not matter, benning has passed on talent I wanted anyway (ehlers and Tkachuk).

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Did i say it wasnt our fault? I merely point out in a thread discussing whether this team is for real or not- that they are not as good as their winning streak indicates

Nor were the Flames nearly as good as their 5 game win streak yet we know Flames fans and the media were pumping them. No shock it's happening here too.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Hardly a sound criticism of a winning streak being that they have hot goaltending. You'll have a hard time finding winning streaks where goalies aren't playing well above their regular ability.

Saying miller is a hot goalie is in no way a criticism, my criticism is that the team has just not played well, hence why im i difficulty believing this team is for real right now. Again, i have nooooo issue with the fact we lost the game, it happens, whatever. This is about whether this team is for real, and what what i have seen, i dont see it right now

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Saying miller is a hot goalie is in no way a criticism, my criticism is that the team has just not played well, hence why im i difficulty believing this team is for real right now. Again, i have nooooo issue with the fact we lost the game, it happens, whatever. This is about whether this team is for real, and what what i have seen, i dont see it right now

Yeah, but you're basing that off one game when this streak is 6 games long. The Canucks in general have been playing much better hockey of late. They were also missing their best Dman for the majority of this game.

Are they a playoff team by seasons end? Idk, probably not unless they continue to get hot goaltending, but they really aren't a bottom feeder in the league this year.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Frankly what Canucks have done so far this year is astonishing.

4 game win streak where they never had the lead in regulation. This game.

Somehow have a winning record while being in the bottom 5-10 in every statistical category I could think of. Somehow their PDO isn't even good.

Make's no sense to me.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Nor were the Flames nearly as good as their 5 game win streak yet we know Flames fans and the media were pumping them. No shock it's happening here too.
Thats cool, did i pump them?? Ill save you the time, no. Doesnt that mean i cant share what i see when i watch them play?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There's still times, like a lot of the 3rd tonight where the team just can't seem to get out of their own zone. Good teams just don't allow these to snowball the same way. I'm not sure if it's Willy D's strategy or simply the trailing team taking it up a notch, but at those points it's basically all goaltending/luck.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Somehow have a winning record while being in the bottom 5-10 in every statistical category I could think of. Somehow their PDO isn't even good.

Make's no sense to me.

Its quite simple. The underlying numbers don't tell even close to the whole story and never have. 3 on 3 OT and shoot outs are crap shoots. Hockey has always been a game where hot goaltending and timely goals/bounces can win over anything.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site

Make's no sense to me.

They remind me a bit so far of the season the Flames had a few years ago (where you beat us in the playoffs after barely sneaking in). The Flames seemed like a mess up and down team all season and had some of the worst possession numbers in the league...yet kept winning.

I do still think they will crash down to Earth in early February - there's a brutal part of the schedule then I think.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
They remind me a bit so far of the season the Flames had a few years ago (where you beat us in the playoffs after barely sneaking in). The Flames seemed like a mess up and down team all season and had some of the worst possession numbers in the league...yet kept winning.

I do still think they will crash down to Earth in early February - there's a brutal part of the schedule then I think.

We were really good on the rush, had the best penalty differential in the league and Wideman played like a top pairing guy.

None of those things were sustainable but they worked. For the Canucks I don't even know what it is.

Just looked and you guys lead the league in OT and SO wins. I guess that is it

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Yeah, but you're basing that off one game when this streak is 6 games long. The Canucks in general have been playing much better hockey of late. They were also missing their best Dman for the majority of this game.

Are they a playoff team by seasons end? Idk, probably not unless they continue to get hot goaltending, but they really aren't a bottom feeder in the league this year.

Heres what i have seen, the nucks were dominated in the game against us right before their streak (edler was out, fine) game against the kings, caught the last period, got hemmed in pretty much the whole period, oushot by 17. Game against the oilers, fairly even imo, oilers was slightly better and the edge and the shot again speaks for itself. Didnt see the ducks game, but im going to assume its an even game because shots looked fairly even. Yotes and avs... whatever. Then the game today, the amount of time flames spent in the nucks zone was absolutely ridiculous. So out of the 5 games against teams above them in the standing, 3 of em were games where they got dismantled but they won 2 of them. Game against the oilers and ducks were somewhat close sure. But i dont see how they are as good as their streak indicates right now.
If you can show me that they are for real, go ahead, im happy to change my mind. But at this point, i just dont see how they are real

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Make's no sense to me.

Well hopefully it all evens out and this run comes to a crashing halt, calgary needs to bury those chances tomorrow. They had plenty and did not capitalize. Miller was not even looking early and frolik (who was maybe 10 feet from the net) shot it to the corner where miller was against the post and it hit him. Miller was seen shaking his head during the stoppage in play likely pissed he had no clue where the puck was when it was shot at him.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
K. Am I not allowed to share what I see in response?

Tell me what you see :laugh:, at what point did i say the flames was so amazing and the nucks suck? I said what i saw, if you cant see the connection between what i said and random tire pumps i cant help you

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Well hopefully it all evens out and this run comes to a crashing halt, calgary needs to bury those chances tomorrow. They had plenty and did not capitalize. Miller was not even looking early and frolik (who was maybe 10 feet from the net) shot it to the corner where miller was against the post and it hit him. Miller was seen shaking his head during the stoppage in play likely pissed he had no clue where the puck was when it was shot at him.

Ya Johnny and Backlund missed tap ins too that Miller had no chance on

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC

Make's no sense to me.

IMO The Canucks are a team that have players that can score goals if you give them the opportunity, but those players are really not that great at keeping possession especially if the other team has good possession. Sutter is a perfect example of this, possession numbers stink but if you give him an opportunity he's good at putting the puck in the net. It's a good reason why the Canucks are one of the best teams at coming back from deficits because the other team sits back on their leads and easily relinquishes possession. The Sedins are another example, they used to be possession masters but now they are too slow, but give them some room and they can still make you pay.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Heres what i have seen, the nucks were dominated in the game against us right before their streak (edler was out, fine) game against the kings, caught the last period, got hemmed in pretty much the whole period, oushot by 17. Game against the oilers, fairly even imo, oilers was slightly better and the edge and the shot again speaks for itself. Didnt see the ducks game, but im going to assume its an even game because shots looked fairly even. Yotes and avs... whatever. Then the game today, the amount of time flames spent in the nucks zone was absolutely ridiculous. So out of the 5 games against teams above them in the standing, 3 of em were games where they got dismantled but they won 2 of them. Game against the oilers and ducks were somewhat close sure. But i dont see how they are as good as their streak indicates right now.
If you can show me that they are for real, go ahead, im happy to change my mind. But at this point, i just dont see how they are real

All I'm saying is they've played well enough in most of the games on this streak to win, and in the games they haven't their goalies have and they've had timely scoring. Is it sustainable, no, but they've earned their winning streak. Like I said they probably won't make playoffs, but they've at least found a way to be competitive this season despite everyone having them pegged as one of if not the worst team in the league. A lot of their young players have stepped up, and their goaltending has been pretty good most nights, and the Sedins while slowing down are still kicking.

From tonights game obviously the Flames dominated possession, but aside from a couple big saves from Miller most of the shots tonight on him really didn't look very dangerous. There were very few second chances in the crease, and most of the good looks the Flames got resulted in pretty low quality execution on their part.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
After watching them play today I would say no, they're not for real as they still play a generic 3 forward 2 defense system. Teams that have done the PDO thing right - 2015-16 Stars, 2014-15 Flames, 2013-14 Avs all had much more potent 5 man attacks causing the SH% inflation.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Make's no sense to me.

Luck and goaltending, that's about it.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
What does for real even mean? A playoff team? If they luck into the playoffs they'll lose quickly. They're as "real" as they always are. A team of perpetual mediocrity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad