Canucks for real?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The best chance for getting points with an injury-ridden team and a good goaltender is to last into overtime.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
No, we're not for real. This is just temporary as we cruise through the weak part of our schedule.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
no the canucks are not "for real" they'll eventually come crashing down. they arent a playoff team. PERIOD. after horvat baertschi who else is scoring? erriksson?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
no the canucks are not "for real" they'll eventually come crashing down. they arent a playoff team. PERIOD. after horvat baertschi who else is scoring? erriksson?

Canucks have 4 players on pace for 20 goals and 3 other in pace for 18 goals.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
What does for real even mean? A playoff team? If they luck into the playoffs they'll lose quickly. They're as "real" as they always are. A team of perpetual mediocrity.

Yea, I'll agree that this team shouldn't be good enough to make the playoffs but perpetual mediocrity?

Back-to-back President Trophies and a trip to the finals wasn't exactly perpetual mediocrity.

In '11, the Canucks were 1st in almost all statistics, just couldn't get it done when it mattered in the Finals.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
LOL. Must be exhausting being as negative as you. Why do you watch the Canucks if it brings you so much displeasure?

Isn't being constantly disappointed exhausting? There is nothing wrong with optimism, except for on a sinking ship. That said, looking at the bigger picture one should not delude themselves in assessment of a project to have positivity short term. That is cause with a rebuild you are looking long term. You better be 100% confident with your prospects and where they are headed, cause if those bets don't pan out you've lost the time put in already and just need to do it all over again. That's why the oilers were in the dumps for 10 years and the laughing stock of the nhl.

If I were to study 2 hours for an exam two weeks in advance and just go into it with a positive mindset would my odds of getting an A be good you think? You know what gives me displeasure? Watching my favourite team lose again and again. If I feel like my team is headed in the wrong direction, is it not my duty to let my voice be heard? If I don't, I feel I have failed. I would expect the same out of any other fan who shares the passion and love for the game in accordance with the team I have invested countless of hours following over the past many years.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
It's a mirage right now ..They are not a playoff team but it's great to see them being.led by Horvat who is looking like a future 1C and Captain. Strecher has been.unbelievable as well.. reminds me of a prime Dan Boyle.

Playoffs or not the emergence of the youngsters and having them mature into a competitive culture has been a pleasant surprise. Top end draft pick is nice but I'm a believer that player development and scouting is more important than getting a top 5 pick. Especially I'm a weak draft year

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
For a team that prizes defensive forwards, it kind of makes sense that they are on a streak once they get their top 2 defensemen back after such a long period of injury. The forwards getting no results were still probably over achieving when they were away; now that they've got the matchup support on defense, they can take chances, so they're doing well. Expect them to drop off, unless their coaching is good enough to maintain the ethos.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
For a team that prizes defensive forwards, it kind of makes sense that they are on a streak once they get their top 2 defensemen back after such a long period of injury. The forwards getting no results were still probably over achieving when they were away; now that they've got the matchup support on defense, they can take chances, so they're doing well. Expect them to drop off, unless their coaching is good enough to maintain the ethos.

They 're lost Tanev again to Injury tnt. It's no coincidence that this 6.game winning streak started right around when Tanev was in the lineup again. The guy is an.absolutely beast on the ice. So smart and efficient. Pure lock down with great first pass capabilities.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
No.

By refusing to commit to a full rebuild they're just delaying their inevitable fall into the basement cellar of the NHL, which is going to be painful and long at this rate.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
They've basically covered up a 9-game losing streak, with a 4-game winning streak where they never led at any point, as well as this current streak that features Megna on the top line. In between, they've managed .500 hockey while missing key players like Tanev/Edler/Hansen, and at times, icing one of the youngest D groups(if not the youngest) in the league. Then there are all the odd roster choices from the coach: not playing Stetcher, not playing Tryamkin, not playing Rodin, Megna leading in icetime... the list goes on. Allowing 6 goals in a single 3rd period. Gudbranson shouting death threats from the locker room... Crazy season.

I think all the predictions of finishing last, has really lit a fire under them - and they aren't going to quit. I'm going to say they make the playoffs this year. This has been a pretty strange season for Van so far, so why not?

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Im happy weve won 5 in a row and all but gotta admit this is the most unimpressive AND convincing 5 game winning streak Ive ever seen or heard of :laugh:

and our 4 game winning streak to start the season was even less impressive and convincing!

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
LOL. Must be exhausting being as negative as you. Why do you watch the Canucks if it brings you so much displeasure?
Canucks are the perfect disaster for other fans, they'll be terrible enough to collect just enough points NOT to get a top draft pick but not enough to make the playoffs, you know it, the team knows it...they're a bad team period.:naughty:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

I agree, there are many positives no one is looking at, Calgary and Edmonton may have better forwards than us right now, but which one of them has a better defense and goaltending setup for the future? Niether.

What's that saying, defense wins championships, such a true thing, we had the best offense ever in 2011 but Tim Thomas was out of this world. And the way the Bruins defended around him had alot to do with it.

No.

By refusing to commit to a full rebuild they're just delaying their inevitable fall into the basement cellar of the NHL, which is going to be painful and long at this rate.

I strongly challenge this.

What's this line of thinking based on? This team is set on the blueline, this team is set in goal, and has multiple emerging forwards, plus Aces like Boeser & Juolevi still in the hand yet to play.

They are already competitive which means they are learning and gaining experience (a team that relies on young talent to win). And alot of guys have potential to be better.

Your building a hockey team, not an All-Star team, I mean look at Dallas, you couldn't ask for better pieces to build a Forward group around, yet they are struggling to get to the next level as a team.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Swing and a miss.

Honestly couldn't have picked a worse time to make that claim, the way this team has been playing lately all the signs pointed to a different outcome than your prediction.
Do you watch or just look at the final score?, Canucks are brutal, I can count at least 8 wins they had no business winning, it'll catch up with them and of course you'll go silent.:laugh:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Do you watch or just look at the final score?, Canucks are brutal, I can count at least 8 wins they had no business winning, it'll catch up with them and of course you'll go silent.:laugh:

Lmao me being silent? Not really, but I'm sure you'll continue to be smug about it either way.

Sure, they make mistakes, and the team isn't really at its full potential yet, but we have the goaltending to make up for it, and guys are stepping up when they need to, they are making things happen and winning games, are they cup contenders? Hell no, but most guys on the team haven't had experience being relied upon before like they are now, so the fact they are doing this good is fairly impressive.

He was dead wrong in his prediction, that's the fact of the matter.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

There is a huge difference between a negative outlook and an accurate assessment.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
At this point the best that can be hoped for is that the Canucks become the Devils of recent years. I don't think that's enough.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
They're getting lucky and it's annoying. This is not a mediocre or good team. This is an awful team that's majorly overachieving. I still can't envision them finishing above 24th.

Not to mention our best player got injured again last night.

Last edited:

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
1/ a run against weak teams
2/ exceptional goaltending
3/ have become a trapping team
4/ Bo and Sven have stepped up (while the Sedins have really slowed down)
5/ Young D might be underrated

There is a correction coming for this team. There will be a run of losses, where they can't buy a goal.
But with the way things are in the Western Conference, they should be in the playoff race until the last couple weeks of the season.

Also: If anyone's interested, we are willing to trade Jake Virtanen for your best prospects next bowel movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad