Canucks for real?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
They could make the wildcard, but do they even want to? It would make more sense for the future to tank hard and get a good pick in the lottery.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
They could make the wildcard, but do they even want to? It would make more sense for the future to tank hard and get a good pick in the lottery.

I can't stand this. Would people, please, stop saying "tank" all the time?

Not every rebuild, or roster overhaul, requires a team to finish in the absolute basement for a number of years. And no hockey players or staff want to lose.

Now, more on the topic of VAN: Yes, I think they are "for real." If, by that, you mean they are a competitive hockey club. They are better than they looked at the start of the year, and finally look like it. With a healthy roster they can make the playoffs.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
They are not a real playoff team until they are. Would be great to see them miss the playoffs by 1 point to see the reaction that happens from the Canucks.

Wait so its more embarressing to miss playoffs by a point than be 30th?

The reaction would be that the canucks deserve respect for pushing

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Wait so its more embarressing to miss playoffs by a point than be 30th?

The reaction would be that the canucks deserve respect for pushing

The Canucks and their fans are in a no win situation.

We tank and finish bottom 5 were the laughing stock and everyone on this forum gets to talk **** to us.

If we push for a playoff spot we still get talked **** to by everyone for not getting a top 5 draft pick.

Personally I'd rather push for the playoffs and if we get in, anything can happen once you're in.

Even if we miss by one point, it will be a hell of an entertaining way to spend the rest of the season as a fan. Last year was absolutely torturous watching no effort or drive on the ice.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The next two games against the Flames will go a long way towards determining how real they are, since the Flames will be one of their prime competitors for a playoff spot.

If they can come out with 3+ points, they'd be in pretty good shape.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
we're not for real

we're a bad team

the only way we make the playoffs is if we go on a Hamburglar/Ottawa-esque run out of nowhere...and we'll lose in the first round

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

We tank and finish bottom 5 were the laughing stock and everyone on this forum gets to talk **** to us.

If we push for a playoff spot we still get talked **** to by everyone for not getting a top 5 draft pick.

Personally I'd rather push for the playoffs and if we get in, anything can happen once you're in.

Even if we miss by one point, it will be a hell of an entertaining way to spend the rest of the season as a fan. Last year was absolutely torturous watching no effort or drive on the ice.

This anything can happen argument is stupid and needs to go away. This thinking has caused the Wings to dwindle in mediocrity and it will cause the Canucks to dwindle in mediocrity if they believe that as well.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

No.

Most HF members would congratulate Canucks management for making the right decision if they went into a rebuild.

Canucks fans are the ones obsessed with their own success, and it's hurting the long term prospects of the team.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Aside from the other advanced stats being rolled out, this one concerns me the most.

Canucks are 6th last in regulation wins (10/40 GP) so 50% of our points were earnt from loser points, 3v3 OT and shootout wins, all of which unfortunately doesn't exist in the post season.

We may get to playoffs, but that is not a recipe for staying in playoffs for long.

Our owners however, have weighed that $8 million in playoff revenues ($4 mil per home game) outweighs any other consideration like a rebuild. Guess who am i to judge?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Rasmus Andersson is essentially who Baertschi was traded for.

No the 53rd pick is what he was traded for. If you trade a 4th round pick for Baertschi and it turns out to be Gaudreau it doesnt mean it was Gaudreau for Baertschi. If we had that pick we might not have taken Andersson.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Is Jim Benning the best GM in the league?

Just covering all the bases for possible threads.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
No the 53rd pick is what he was traded for. If you trade a 4th round pick for Baertschi and it turns out to be Gaudreau it doesnt mean it was Gaudreau for Baertschi. If we had that pick we might not have taken Andersson.

That's how Flames fans will view it though. If the Flames didn't deal Baertschi then they probably don't have Andersson.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
If the canucks sweep the flames. Boy oh boy, 8 point swing right there

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Are they a lot better than when they played the flames literally just prior to the winning streak? Becasue they were absolutely putrid then

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That's how Flames fans will view it though. If the Flames didn't deal Baertschi then they probably don't have Andersson.

It's why I think trades need to be viewed only through the lens of each team separately. If Baertschi becomes a consistent 50 point player, trading a 2nd for him was a good deal because who knows what the Canucks would have done with the pick but the likelihood of getting better value was low. Meanwhile, getting a 2nd was a good deal for Baertschi because it was looking like the potential of getting anything out of him there was going to be lower than getting something with that 2nd, and if Andersson can become a decent NHLer it should be considered a win. That doesn't mean if Andersson becomes better than the theoretical 50 point Baertschi that it should be seen as a loss for the Canucks.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Are they a lot better than when they played the flames literally just prior to the winning streak? Becasue they were absolutely putrid then

Uhh our top 2 defenders were hurt, no?

When Edler and Tanev came back the streak started, not exactly a coincidence.

Sep 26, 2016
They are a lot better than people were saying before the season started, I shook my head at the 60-70 point predictions. No way that team is close to 30th overall.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Uhh our top 2 defenders were hurt, no?

When Edler and Tanev came back the streak started, not exactly a coincidence.

Tanev played but edler didn't. Still, looking at the shot count (take it for what its worth, i didnt watch the game) 2 of the 3 games against teams above in the standings during the streak, the nucks were outshot by 10+, goaltending is making up for the difference rn.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.

We're a million times better.

I agree that night the Flames did school us, it was an embarassing game for sure lol.

The 2 games against the flames are big games for both teams.

This anything can happen argument is stupid and needs to go away. This thinking has caused the Wings to dwindle in mediocrity and it will cause the Canucks to dwindle in mediocrity if they believe that as well.

This is literally what the Senators have been doing. Not sure how you are going to call out the wings and Canucks for anything. The senators have been retooling for ages.

And it is fact that if you make it into the dance, anything can happen.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
We're a million times better.

I agree that night the Flames did school us, it was an embarassing game for sure lol.

The 2 games against the flames are big games for both teams.

I didnt mean it like the nucks are just a putrid team, it was just that that game was on the lv of the yotes and avs. So i was wondering if the team is truly better or simply the same but getting lucky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad