Canucks for real?

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
No, they are not. Look at that list of teams they just beat. Middle of the pack to bottom of the league teams. They started out hot too and people asked this same question. Then, they tanked. They'll tank again soon enough.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
I do not think they are for real, but I would love to see them in the thick of things come dead line day. I think most Canuck fans will agree that Benning could be a buyer if they are close to getting in. That would scare the crap out of me if I was a Canuck fan.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They are still having trouble down low in their own zone. Look at the shot charts 5-on-5 and you see a collection of close in shots with numerous from the mid to low slot. The opposition the last 5 games has a laughably low shooting percentage and the canucks is pretty high.

These things happen. Bad teams win games and go on streaks. But the play honestly isn't that far removed from when they were struggling. They have gotten some PP goals and some top notch goaltending. When that stuff settles down again the team will be back to win one lose one territory.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
At least their recent "success" has been due largely to young players who will be the core of the team in 5-ish years. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

Guy's like Beartschi, Hutton, etc will be like 28-29 in 5 years. If that's your core going forward the team isn't going anywhere in 5 years. The Canucks need some elite talent to follow those guys.

Son of Frostback

Nov 20, 2014
They will still be in 9th place at the deadline and Benning will buy. Every game we add to this streak increases the danger.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Guy's like Beartschi, Hutton, etc will be like 28-29 in 5 years. If that's your core going forward the team isn't going anywhere in 5 years. The Canucks need some elite talent to follow those guys.

Canucks D will be elite but yeah they really need Boeser to be th real deal and for a another forward to emerege. Bo is tracking to be a #1 centre imo

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Most definitely not for real, it is nice to see Bo and Bae doing work tho.

Sadly this just gets us further and further away from the top-end F prospect we need.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Sedins, Horvat and Baertschi/Eriksson (streaky player/good player currently underperforming statistically)

Decent D when healthy

Good goaltending from Miller and Markström

All things considered, a mediocre team that *could* squeeze in but more likely finishes around 10-12th in the conference.

Just don't pack the punch(es) that other teams do, and the coach is questionable (to say the least) as is management in general.

No sale, and I'm a fan. But we were never a #30 team that a lot of people thought.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
They're gonna lose both games to Calgary on the weekend and the tank will be back on. Quote me on it.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
The have spent the most time in the whole league trailing and the 3rd least amount of time leading.

They are near the bottom in all the shot metrics.

They are bad.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
We're playing the absolute best we can and we're 23rd in points per game.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Are the Canucks for real? Playoff team? Beat the Kings, Ducks and Oilers, Coyotes and Colorado. On a roll?

ooh wow they beat the coyotes and avalanche!? the Kings,Ducks and Oilers are all mediocre teams this season too not really teams to be overly proud of beating.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
They are not a real playoff team until they are. Would be great to see them miss the playoffs by 1 point to see the reaction that happens from the Canucks.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's hard to say. They were really bad during the 9 game skid, but have been ok outside of that. Tanev and Edler really change the defense when healthy, and the scoring depth is much better when Bo and Bae are playing well. The team could be like the '14-15 one if the Sedins were still playing like that, but they've really lost a step this year. With the West, and particularly the Pacific really starting to fall off, they could possibly make the playoffs, but I doubt it. There's probably a better chance they still finish bottom 5, but not as low as the Avs or Coyotes

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The Canucks before the season were going to be in the playoff mix on the strength of their young players taking a developmental step, the quality and depth of their D being much better than the previous year, and luck in the health department.

They started the season is such a funk offensively... but have been scoring at an above average rate since.
Edler and Tanev have returned to solidify the backend, and young players have stepped up to plug holes that they couldn't plug last yr.

Now we need Hansen to return to help the twins produce 5on5.

I believed prior to the season we were closer to the 100 pt 14-15 team than we are the 75 pt 15-16 team this yr.. but dat 9 gamer was a tough pill to swallow.

Watching the D solidify post break reassures my initial outlook. Need consistency from the youngens, and need a lot more luck in the injury department to build on and maintain this.

This back-to-back vs Cgy should pretty telling as well..
A direct playoff spot competition, divisional rival on the virtually the same tier as us... should be a nice mini-series battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad