Rumor: Canucks Exploring Tyler Myers Trade Value

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Retained? Easily. He’s a top 4 mobile minute munching massive RHD

Why do you guys keep mentioning massive? Isnt he pretty much the softest dman that size you have ever seen? And mobile only matters if you do something with that mobility. To me he is a third pairing guy on a good team. Unless he is way better this year than he has been the last 10 or so...

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Why do you guys keep mentioning massive? Isnt he pretty much the softest dman that size you have ever seen? And mobile only matters if you do something with that mobility. To me he is a third pairing guy on a good team. Unless he is way better this year than he has been the last 10 or so...

If a small guy is physical are we allowed to say he's small?

Thank you for clarifying.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Nah I wouldn't say that. He's probably average in terms of physicality. You can't always go for the hit (it's not always the best play).
Circumstantially, player with his reach could have as much advantage in a long-stick pokecheck as he does with a crushing hit.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
No I said we'd be extremely lucky to get a 3rd for him, as in I don't think it would happen but in some fantasy scenario where a team is dumb enough to do it.

I never said implicitly that he would get a 3rd. I think it's more realistic that we can get a 3rd with retention, as in it wouldn't take an extreme situation or fantasy or that a GM would have to be dumb enough to do it.
Since you're so down on Myers and incapable of understanding how retention is valued, what would Schmidt have cost the Canucks (or the Jets) if he was on a retained contract?
We know he got a 3rd both times. You think that retention slot (over multiple seasons) is only worth a bump to a 2nd?
Do you know how many more teams would have stepped up to the plate on Schmidt at $3m?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Hronek + Zadina + 2nd (or maybe swap 1sts? Vancouver could be 16th or better but Detroit will finish 9th to 13th)

for

Meyers + Boeser

Big cost savings to the Canucks. Hronek gives them an offensive weapon that fits well in Boudreau’s system.

Would honestly love this.

Myers for Hronek would be a huge win for the Canucks. Get younger and save cap.

Zadina might be able to provide 80% of Boeser's output at a fraction of the cost.

Could also see the Canucks being interested Michael Rasmussen as well, big body bottom six center.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
High cap hit, too many years left on contract for an older guy and having the worst year of his career (11 points). Can't see teams lining up for him.

Tyler Myers (b.1990) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Tyler Myers Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I’m as far from a Myers fan as it gets, but this is not the worst season of his career—it’s his best since he’s been a Canuck.

He’s a defender—I couldn’t give two shits about his offence if he defends well.

Unfortunately he doesn’t do that well either, but at least better than his previous two seasons.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Lgrsean

Jan 23, 2022
He brings a bit of everything to the table and would bring a ton of size to a team who is playoff bound. I could see scenarios where a team like NYR offer up Trouba with some retention in order to get out of the term from him and allow Schneider to take over. Washington I could see as another team interested in Myers or even the Penguins with some familiarity between our management. I’m sure the Canucks would have plenty of options if they chose to go that route. I’d personally take Trouba and his term if they took Myers and retained 1.5/2 million on him. He would look great with Hughes or OEL, obviously NTC/NMC etc would come into play.

I read this idea on another post. No team would ever retain salary on Trouba to trade him for Myers. Trouba is earning every dollar he's making this year and is much better than Myers. The Rangers are going to the playoffs this year and Trouba is a big part of that. Trouba is 27 years old. His contract runs til he's 31. The Rangers aren't trading him this season, they aren't retaining salary for 4 years, and he's not waiving his NMC after he pushed to come to the Rangers bc his wife is working here as a doctor.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What? No the buying parties have an option to acquire a player with retention and without retention.
For the buying party:
- $6m for Myers, what's he worth?
- $3m for Myers, what's he worth?
The buying team can assign two values. Regardless of whether you think Myers is worth at $6m (maybe it's only a 7th round pick), with retention you his price is a higher pick.

Retaining salary also opens the amount of teams that can acquire the player from the very few contenders with cap space to a larger group of buyers, increasing the amount of interested parties.
you are missing my point. i don't argue against the fact, that a player with retention on his contract is more valuable than the same player without. i say the retained amount doesn't define the value (or even the increase of value) of the player. the buyer just looks at the player after retention.

x - y = z

x = original contract aav
y = retention amount
z = contract aav after retention

let's assume two identical players with different aav
player a: x = 6, y = 2, z=4
player b: x = 4, y = 0, z=4

buying party is just looking at z. z drives the value from the buying side. y has shouldn't have an impact on what they are ready to pay for those two players.

selling party looks at the value of x, the amount of y and the offered return.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I wouldn't call him soft. There are time's where you wish he'd be more physical, but overall he's decent along the boards and really good at boxing out forwards in front of the net. Has actually had a lot of good net front battles where he's gotten the better of guys like Tuch and Greenway. Myers is also pretty good at using his mobility to skate the puck up the ice.

Before this year I would have called him a #5, but this year he has played like a good #4. On the Canucks he's our #3 fwiw.

He's overpaid by about 1.5m-2m.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Is there anyone on Vancouver that you'd be willing to pay for the Sharks to take or do you think Vancouver is not going to want to do something like that?

Maybe Poolman or Dickinson, if we need the roster and/or cap space, due to an upcoming transaction. But honestly, the payment would be minimal.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Myers has been good this year, why does everyone want to move him? There is a high probability that he will be an effective player through the end of his contract.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Myers has been good this year, why does everyone want to move him? There is a high probability that he will be an effective player through the end of his contract.
I just don't see any real trade value in Myers. Yes, he's been decent, but he's not worth what's left on his contract. So, to trade him the Canucks would either have to retain salary, and (or) take back money. That makes him of negative value. So the team can be exploring the trade idea, but it's going to cost them to move that player. I just don't see that it's worth the price needed to move him out, considering he's been a decent player.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I just don't see any real trade value in Myers. Yes, he's been decent, but he's not worth what's left on his contract. So, to trade him the Canucks would either have to retain salary, and (or) take back money. That makes him of negative value. So the team can be exploring the trade idea, but it's going to cost them to move that player. I just don't see that it's worth the price needed to move him out, considering he's been a decent player.

I don’t think 2 year at 6mil is bad value for a Top 4 RHD.. He’d probably get more than that if he were a UFA this summer…

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t think 2 year at 6mil is bad value for a Top 4 RHD.. He’d probably get more than that if he were a UFA this summer…
I think Myers' best trade value will be the TDL of his UFA year. Then we could get a second for him as a rental. But trading him now, with term left, will cost us.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
retention can increase value. i fully agree. but not because of the money and cap retained. it's all about how attractive the remaining contract/cap hit is on the market.

if you have player a signed for 3 years at 9m, but performing like a 4 million player and you retain 2m for the remaining term, the negative value gets smaller for sure. but only mildly because you won't find many suitors even if you are ready to compensate the taker of the cap dump.

if you have player b signed for 3 years at 4.5m, but performing like a 5 million player and you retain the same 2m, the positive values spikes. at 2.5m most teams in the league will be interested, as such a contract can be easily accommodated under nearly every teams cap structure and there will be a bidding war to acquire such a valuable piece, which increases the price.

the retention is in both cases the same. the value increase definitely not. therefore the value is not driven by the retention, it's driven by the remaining contract and the players current (and expected) ability/performance.

you still don't believe?

player c is paid 6m for 2 more years and he plays like a 6m player. the selling team is ready to retain 2m.
player d is paid 4m for 2 more years and plays like a 6m player. no retention is offered.

which player has more market value? why?

i would say, they have the same market value, as both are offering the same value for the same price. retention has zero effect for the buying party.
The act of retaining adds value to the trade… because cap space has value …. Hard stop …. Retaining Is a function of you using cap space …hard stop

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Since you're so down on Myers and incapable of understanding how retention is valued, what would Schmidt have cost the Canucks (or the Jets) if he was on a retained contract?
We know he got a 3rd both times. You think that retention slot (over multiple seasons) is only worth a bump to a 2nd?
Do you know how many more teams would have stepped up to the plate on Schmidt at $3m?

Schmidt had a NTC, retention wasn't really the problem there was it? But I'm incapable of understanding..........

Also Schmidt is a much better player then the Chaos Giraffe, it's amazing how one partial season completely negates every shitty one before it.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Schmidt had a NTC, retention wasn't really the problem there was it? But I'm incapable of understanding..........

Also Schmidt is a much better player then the Chaos Giraffe, it's amazing how one partial season completely negates every shitty one before it.

The opposite is true for Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson, so I have no trouble with fresh starts under the new guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad