Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Rangers - 3-2 (OT) (Miller x 2, Podkolzin)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Just finished watching... Great comeback win! Unexpected... Canucks seemed to take over after the 1-0 goal and were very unlucky not to score a couple there.... Then a bounce off of Poolman and we're down 2-0... Thought it was over... But they came out on a mission in the 3rd... And got rewarded...
Great character win led by Garland and Miller... And DEMKO... Great game by Hughes (at even strength) in controlling and creating..

Boeser is missing in action... His play doesn't deserve 1st unit PP duty... Can't skate... Can get open... Can't make plays.. can't get his shot off...
Then there's the passenger wearing #40... Who is this guy... Very troubling... But I keep telling myself that he only 20-some games last year... And missed all of camp... But man.... It's crazy... He was on a line with the two best players tonight, and had very little to do with any of it...

Reactions: Indiana

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
It's pretty easy.

Vancouver is going nowhere with Pearson and Chiasson in the top-9, and with Podkolzin getting 7-8 minutes per game.

Boeser-Pettersson-Podkolzin

Garland-Horvat-Miller

*******-********-Hoglander

Pearson-Dickinson-********

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It's pretty easy.

Vancouver is going nowhere with Pearson and Chiasson in the top-9, and with Podkolzin getting 7-8 minutes per game.

Garland-Horvat-Miller

yeah, in a prefect world, we have an actual 3C instead of Pearson at his cap hit

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
For two periods were as disorganized as ever. Then in the third said to hell with organization and played on emotion and got something done as the Rangers tired.

Good

Demko - a warrior in the late going and I'd say the main reason for the win.

Miller - still with the willy-nilly passing but got to the net and actually finished some chances (something the team just a hasn't been doing)

Garland - spar plug that got the Lotto line (does it need a new name) going. Should absolutely stay on that line although that leaves Boeser in sort of limbo. Like where do you play him. Fears about having to shell out some huge contract are evaporating.

Myers - is emerging as our best defenseman in every zone. Just a horse throughout and mainly staying away from penalties.

Hoglander - had his wheels going and created multiple chances. Could criticize him for being too individual but no one else on his line was doing much of anything to help him.

Hughes - again so much better in his zone. Puck control and puck movement again exceptional. Thought he mirrored the play of Fox.

Bad

Horvat - lugged around the ice something awful. Left chasing the play all night coming out of the offensive zone and too clumsy and awkward to take advantage of situations created by others.
Can't often get to the play to make a pass and telegraphs his passes when he does. Is actually having a terrible season and is a liability at the moment. Really the untold story of this season so far

Poolman - since the injury has been too slow with his feet and stick and can't react quickly enough around his net. Very poor at getting the puck smoothly out of his zone or with team control. Just bangs it off the boards. Puck always seems to be going in off of him into our net - getting to be a pattern.

Boeser - by far the worse player on the ice. If he is hurt, let him sit out. Right now can't get to the puck or make a play. Got so bad that it's a toss up whether you want him or Chaisson out on the PP. Play in own zone and in transition is horrid.

Others

Podkolzin - if he played like he did in the third, he'd be a star. Started going to body with some authority and good snipe on the goal.

Dickinson - not doing enough. Can't get any production out of him or his line.

Bailey - sometimes he has you shaking your head as he runs around out of position and beats the puck to death. But had some good shifts on the PK and was getting some pressure on the puck. His line with Chaisson and Lammikko has to one of the worst in the League and got totally tied up their zone far too much.

OEL - not his best game. Got beat to the net and is taking too many penalties. Funny but I thought Myers had to carry him a bit and never thought that would happen. Might be hurt.

Pettersson - another step in the right direction. Skated better and is getting chances. Seems so taciturn its hard to read his mood but still seems little disconnected from the process.

Hamonic - both him and Schenn had their problems getting the puck out but thought he brought some toughness to net the net front. Pretty obvious he is better than Rathbone in this area.

Pearson - defines mediocre. Maybe move him away from Horvath.

Nice win but the team still has a huge way to go before they establish some sort of consistent and cohesive system together.
Disagree with Poolman's assessment probably his best game. Saved a goal once if not twice at the end and his analytics were best on the team.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
yeah, in a prefect world, we have an actual 3C instead of Pearson at his cap hit
Miller and Podkolzin need a real big man to allow this team to play more freely. I think Pearson should be moved soon, but Hoglander hasn't looked like a top 6 NHL winger either.

A younger, quicker, gritter, cheaper Pearson would be ideal. We know that Podkolzin, Garland, and Hoglander are top 6 fixtures for years, Boeser and Miller are still here. So we need to fill that "big man" role in the top 9. Pearson doesn't suffice.

Reactions: SamInVan

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Disagree with Poolman's assessment probably his best game saved a goal once if not twice at the end and his analytics were best on the team.
Don't know about the analytics, but the kid kept the ozone so many times with mini pinches and moving the puck to the right places... he played well tonight... Very safe... And then... The Save, before The Save.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Disagree with Poolman's assessment probably his best game. Saved a goal once if not twice at the end and his analytics were best on the team.

Ehhh...i'd agree with the assessment that Poolman is fading. I was pleasantly surprised early, that he was actually, pretty solid? But today, and lately in general...he's really started to slip. Idk what "The Analytics" say, or what singular anecdotal plays he may have almost been responsible for a goal, but stopped. But he's gone from looking surprisingly proactive, to kinda wishy-washy and vulnerable overall. He looks like he was up to speed when the season hit, but is starting to fall behind, as the rest of the league ramps back up to normal pace. Not physically...just...mentally, always seems a quarter note behind tonight.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's pretty easy.

Garland-Horvat-Miller

I don’t like Chiasson but at this point he’s just a whipping boy around here. He basically plays on the PP and plays 4th line minutes.

Pearson should move down to the 3rd line.

The Canucks are going nowhere without a #1C. I don’t think people realize the enormous trickle down effect having a C who over 82 games puts up 30+ goals and close to a point per game vs the 1C we have now. Back in the day, 70+ point 1C Henrik we usually made the playoffs. 50-55 point 1C Henrik we missed the playoffs every time.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For Hamonic not playing much competitive hockey, I thought he acquitted himself well.

I actually thought his rust was extremely apparent. Not unexpected, but...it was there. You could even see it on his face, where he knew he had not played things properly. He just had that sluggish preseason sort of lag, in processing and making reads. Caught in between quite a bit, but mostly lucky it didn't burn him completely. Though the one goal, was largely on him, despite a bad change.

He'll get better again. Like he did last year. But it's frustrating as heck, to have him play this late entry "slow burn" back-to-back seasons. A team like the Canucks can't afford to have a fairly important defenceman taking their sweet time getting up to speed.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Ehhh...i'd agree with the assessment that Poolman is fading. I was pleasantly surprised early, that he was actually, pretty solid? But today, and lately in general...he's really started to slip. Idk what "The Analytics" say, or what singular anecdotal plays he may have almost been responsible for a goal, but stopped. But he's gone from looking surprisingly proactive, to kinda wishy-washy and vulnerable overall. He looks like he was up to speed when the season hit, but is starting to fall behind, as the rest of the league ramps back up to normal pace. Not physically...just...mentally, always seems a quarter note behind tonight.
It’s just that new car smell wears off.

People on twitter like that jez guy POM is posting tweets of has his pinned tweet basically implying Poolman is really good

He’s a bottom pair guy lol

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Just finished watching... Great comeback win! Unexpected... Canucks seemed to take over after the 1-0 goal and were very unlucky not to score a couple there.... Then a bounce off of Poolman and we're down 2-0... Thought it was over... But they came out on a mission in the 3rd... And got rewarded...
Great character win led by Garland and Miller... And DEMKO... Great game by Hughes (at even strength) in controlling and creating..

Boeser is missing in action... His play doesn't deserve 1st unit PP duty... Can't skate... Can get open... Can't make plays.. can't get his shot off...
Then there's the passenger wearing #40... Who is this guy... Very troubling... But I keep telling myself that he only 20-some games last year... And missed all of camp... But man.... It's crazy... He was on a line with the two best players tonight, and had very little to do with any of it...

Pettersson made the nice pass to Garland on the first goal for the assist and his back check lead to the Miller OT goal

He’s been looking much better the last 2 games (aside from pp) but dude can’t buy a goal right now

1 goal in 27 shots which is less than 4 percent

Thats gotta correct as the season progresses, or at least I hope

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For two periods were as disorganized as ever. Then in the third said to hell with organization and played on emotion and got something done as the Rangers tired.

Hoglander - had his wheels going and created multiple chances. Could criticize him for being too individual but no one else on his line was doing much of anything to help him.

Dickinson - not doing enough. Can't get any production out of him or his line.

Nice win but the team still has a huge way to go before they establish some sort of consistent and cohesive system together.

Agreed with both of these player assessments.

Hoglander is so fun to watch, and he does a lot of cool stuff, and he's a big burst of energy almost every time he's out there. But he does at times seem to struggle to use him linemates in easy, obvious ways. He gets away with it, through sheer hustle and grit a lot of the time, but it's something that is showing up as a real limitation in the "ceiling" of his game. Still really need him with Pettersson or something, just try to spark something with a jumpstart from an energizer bunny battery that hustles full on 110% even though as Dr Brendan Gaunce once explained, is impossible.

Dickinson, i agree. He just shouldn't be leaned on to generate offense for his line though. And i don't know why anyone ever thought that would work. He's a fantastic player. He's one of those guys you adore, as a perfect Bottom-6 filler who can play anywhere there in any role, and do a pretty decent job. Maybe even play up into the Top-6 as a Winger in a pinch and not hurt you. But he's just not, and never has shown anything to indicate he's a guy to "carry" or "drive" a line. I honestly don't understand where that idea ever came from...but it was a very bad one.

Brandon Sutter would be the comparison...with the exception that Sutter actually could drive a line, singlehandedly in his prime. Through sheer force of Brandon Suttering, and wingers don't matter who cares. He'd score his 20G-30P no matter what. I don't think Dickinson is that sort of helicopter pilot. Nor is he looking like a guy who thrives with that sort of opportunity/pressure. He's showing some interesting little "tricks", but overall just doesn't have the offensive chops to make it work. It's kind of like looking at a "poor man's Horvat", with more speed and less awareness. Not his fault he's been miscast here. But it does seem to be affecting him.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Pettersson made the nice pass to Garland on the first goal for the assist and his back check lead to the Miller OT goal

He’s been looking much better the last 2 games (aside from pp) but dude can’t buy a goal right now

1 goal in 27 shots which is less than 4 percent

Thats gotta correct as the season progresses, or at least I hope
It was a 2nd assist... I wouldn't say it was nice. He isn't the same.

He used to be authoritative with the puck... And if you watch him this game, he got the puck and it was off his stick in a second. He doesn't have it right now between the ears..

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It’s just that new car smell wears off.

People on twitter like that jez guy POM is posting tweets of has his pinned tweet basically implying Poolman is really good

He’s a bottom pair guy lol

Yeah. It's really not surprising that a bottom-pairing filler guy, has pretty swiftly returned to playing like one.

Preseason and even early in the season though...it was genuinely like, "hey, maybe they saw something the rest of us didn't?" He looked legitimately like a solid sort of #4/5 swing guy who could play some safe minutes alongside OEL or Hughes or someone and not blow it. Like when Habitants swiped Chiarot from the Jets and were panned for it, but he became that sort of player. But no...that's not what's happened here. Even Chiarot has come back down to earth, but at least he's physical and assertive still. Poolman is sliding back into...what does this guy even do??? sort of territory.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Don't know about the analytics, but the kid kept the ozone so many times with mini pinches and moving the puck to the right places... he played well tonight... Very safe... And then... The Save, before The Save.
I agree with you on some of the smart plays he made around the line etc. He seemed mostly fine in his own end. I'm not expecting greatness from Poolman at any point. I have a feeling he might end up being a somewhat polarizing player amongst this fan base.

Reactions: Indiana and DL44

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

He used to be authoritative with the puck... And if you watch him this game, he got the puck and it was off his stick in a second. He doesn't have right now between the ears..

Yeah. Pettersson isn't quite right at the moment. The game is just happening faster for him or something. He came in, playing the game slower than he had any right to do...and killing at it. He has seasons in the bank continuing to do that. He's obviously got that in him, to slow the game down at will. But a combination of coming into camp late/distracted/whatever, and other teams obviously keying on him to quicken up that clock even more, and he's fighting it hard right now.

He'll get it figured out though. You don't just accidentally post the kind of numbers Pettersson has so far in his career over multiple seasons, without having the ability to do damage. Just seems like he's sped the clock up too much. Which is weird, because that's something i do with the puck on my stick and panic. But apparently the alien is also indeed, human. Or maybe i'm also an alien. Who knows. Scientifically speaking. :dunno:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia

He used to be authoritative with the puck... And if you watch him this game, he got the puck and it was off his stick in a second. He doesn't have right now between the ears..

Yeah I agree with the second part, but I wouldn’t call him a passenger this game

A passenger this game would be Brock Boeser

But of course when your supposed to be the 1c and getting over 7mil you need to be driving the bus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad