Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Rangers - 3-2 (OT) (Miller x 2, Podkolzin)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can Podkolzin play more than 7 minutes a night ? Must be frustrating for him
It's ridiculous that Podkolzin is getting seven minutes night.....but the it's also ridiculous that Rathbone is in the minors......Demko is a God.....a guaranteed loss for sure without his heroics.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
For two periods were as disorganized as ever. Then in the third said to hell with organization and played on emotion and got something done as the Rangers tired.

Good

Demko - a warrior in the late going and I'd say the main reason for the win.

Miller - still with the willy-nilly passing but got to the net and actually finished some chances (something the team just a hasn't been doing)

Garland - spar plug that got the Lotto line (does it need a new name) going. Should absolutely stay on that line although that leaves Boeser in sort of limbo. Like where do you play him. Fears about having to shell out some huge contract are evaporating.

Myers - is emerging as our best defenseman in every zone. Just a horse throughout and mainly staying away from penalties.

Hoglander - had his wheels going and created multiple chances. Could criticize him for being too individual but no one else on his line was doing much of anything to help him.

Hughes - again so much better in his zone. Puck control and puck movement again exceptional. Thought he mirrored the play of Fox.

Bad

Horvat - lugged around the ice something awful. Left chasing the play all night coming out of the offensive zone and too clumsy and awkward to take advantage of situations created by others.
Can't often get to the play to make a pass and telegraphs his passes when he does. Is actually having a terrible season and is a liability at the moment. Really the untold story of this season so far

Poolman - since the injury has been too slow with his feet and stick and can't react quickly enough around his net. Very poor at getting the puck smoothly out of his zone or with team control. Just bangs it off the boards. Puck always seems to be going in off of him into our net - getting to be a pattern.

Boeser - by far the worse player on the ice. If he is hurt, let him sit out. Right now can't get to the puck or make a play. Got so bad that it's a toss up whether you want him or Chaisson out on the PP. Play in own zone and in transition is horrid.

Others

Podkolzin - if he played like he did in the third, he'd be a star. Started going to body with some authority and good snipe on the goal.

Dickinson - not doing enough. Can't get any production out of him or his line.

Bailey - sometimes he has you shaking your head as he runs around out of position and beats the puck to death. But had some good shifts on the PK and was getting some pressure on the puck. His line with Chaisson and Lammikko has to one of the worst in the League and got totally tied up their zone far too much.

OEL - not his best game. Got beat to the net and is taking too many penalties. Funny but I thought Myers had to carry him a bit and never thought that would happen. Might be hurt.

Pettersson - another step in the right direction. Skated better and is getting chances. Seems so taciturn its hard to read his mood but still seems little disconnected from the process.

Hamonic - both him and Schenn had their problems getting the puck out but thought he brought some toughness to the net front. Pretty obvious he is better than Rathbone in this area.

Pearson - defines mediocre. Maybe move him away from Horvath.

Nice win but the team still has a huge way to go before they establish some sort of consistent and cohesive system together.

Last edited:

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
From the get-go, the optics of Benning and Green hiring King to run the power-play was bad — like putting the cashier at the grocery store in charge of the accounting of a billion dollar company bad. However, since these guys have more information then we have, I promised myself I’d hold off for the first 10 games before judging things….

But man, the results have been down right awful. Even after a long home stand full of practice it still looks down right awful.

No more excuses left. Make some changes here, the clock is done ticking.

As for the even strength play, clearly the coaches are purposefully having the team play neutered offense so they can learn to play defense as a team. I’m not quite sure if that is the right approach here. I’m guessing that’s a Shaw influence, and it’s kind of lame duck thinking. I’d rather he let them stay aggressive on the forecheck and transition, but do it more organized and purposeful, so everyone is on the same page. Learn how to support each other with a dynamic defensive structure, not just give up on pressuring…

Reactions: Indiana

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
For two periods were as disorganized as ever. Then in the third said to hell with organization and played on emotion and got something done as the Rangers tired.

Good

Demko - a warrior in the late going and I'd say the main reason for the win.

Miller - still with the willy-nilly passing but got to the net and actually finished some chances (something the team just a hasn't been doing)

Garland - spar plug that got the Lotto line (does it need a new name) going. Should absolutely stay on that line although that leaves Boeser in sort of limbo. Like where do you play him. Fears about having to shell out some huge contract are evaporating.

Myers - is emerging as our best defenseman in every zone. Just a horse throughout and mainly staying away from penalties.

Hoglander - had his wheels going and created multiple chances. Could criticize him for being too individual but no one else on his line was doing much of anything to help him.

Hughes - again so much better in his zone. Puck control and puck movement again exceptional. Thought he mirrored the play of Fox.

Bad

Horvath - lugged around the ice something awful. Left chasing the play all night coming out of the offensive zone and too clumsy and awkward to take advantage of situations created by others.
Can't often get to the play to make a pass and telegraphs his passes when he does. Is actually having a terrible season and is a liability at the moment. Really the untold story of this season so far

Poolman - since the injury has been too slow with his feet and stick and can't react quickly enough around his net. Very poor at getting the puck smoothly out of his zone or with team control. Just bangs it off the boards. Puck always seems to be going in off of him into our net - getting to be a pattern.

Boeser - by far the worse player on the ice. If he is hurt, let him sit out. Right now can't get to the puck or make a play. Got so bad that it's a toss up whether you want him or Chaisson out on the PP. Play in own zone and in transition is horrid.

Others

Podkolzin - if he played like he did in the third, he'd be a star. Started going to body with some authority and good snipe on the goal.

Dickinson - not doing enough. Can't get any production out of him or his line.

Bailey - sometimes he has you shaking your head as he runs around out of position and beats the puck to death. But had some good shifts on the PK and was getting some pressure on the puck. His line with Chaisson and Lammikko has to one of the worst in the League and got totally tied up their zone far too much.

OEL - not his best game. Got beat to the net and is taking too many penalties. Funny but I thought Myers had to carry him a bit and never thought that would happen. Might be hurt.

Pettersson - another step in the right direction. Skated better and is getting chances. Seems so taciturn its hard to read his mood but still seems little disconnected from the process.

Hamonic - both him and Schenn had their problems getting the puck out but thought he brought some toughness to net the net front. Pretty obvious he is better than Rathbone in this area.

Pearson - defines mediocre. Maybe move him away from Horvath.

Nice win but the team still has a huge way to go before they establish some sort of consistent and cohesive system together.

Thank you so much for these!! But who is this "Horvath" you and others keep speaking of?? I see people call him this often. Is it schtick of some kind?

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
From the get-go, the optics of Benning and Green hiring King to run the power-play was bad — like putting the cashier at the grocery store in charge of the accounting of a billion dollar company bad. However, since these guys have more information then we have, I promised myself I’d hold off for the first 10 games before judging things….

But man, the results have been down right awful. Even after a long home stand full of practice it still looks down right awful.

No more excuses left. Make some changes here, the clock is done ticking.

As for the even strength play, clearly the coaches are purposefully having the team play neutered offense so they can learn to play defense as a team. I’m not quite sure if that is the right approach here. I’m guessing that’s a Shaw influence, and it’s kind of lame duck thinking. I’d rather he let them stay aggressive on the forecheck and transition, but do it more organized and purposeful, so everyone is on the same page. Learn how to support each other with a dynamic defensive structure, not just give up on pressuring…

There are truly some remarkable decisions being made around both the PP and PK. It is just so hard to fathom how an entire coaching staff can't say- OK, time for a change in plan. Head scratcher...

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
You just have to think the crowd was like can I have a refund after the second period, And then they experienced THAT

Worth every penny:laugh:

Crowd was going crazy late in the third. I have a knack for choosing good games to go to live but that third period was nuts!

Worth every penny.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
In the last 2 games, the Canucks have given up 0 even strength goals, and only 1 even strength goal in the last 3 games. Maybe not so much Green as it is the special teams coaches.
Man stop with this buljive. Demko saved the game on that the 5V3 and in the oilers game he was immense . Our special teams still suck. You always post just to piss people off.
How about we win 4-5 without Demko performing miracles before you declare that the team has improved. Nothing has changed in the last 3 years.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Man stop with this buljive. Demko saved the game in the 5V3 and we in the oilers game he was imnense . Our special teams still suck. You always post just to piss people off.
Wasn't my intention to piss anybody off. I just thought it was an interesting stat. I am no fan of Travis Green's, and I've said so in the past. I agree with you that the special teams are terrible.

Reactions: alicia and Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Fun third period. Garland, Hoglander, and Bailey were noticeable for all three periods while Miller came on in the third. Didn't notice anyone else all that much but I wasn't paying THAT close attention.

Demko is outstanding. Despite the Canucks outshooting the Rangers, this was a loss without him.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I hate that I wanted us to lose. I just want a team that I can earnestly cheer for, even a WCE style of team that has massive flaws but plays uptempo hockey would be better. The funny thing is, with the right coach, I think we could be that team now and just aren't.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
We should just send Jim+Green to Arizona and pay them a 1 st round pick for the trouble. It;s the only way to get rid of these 2 clowns :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad