Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Panthers 2. EP down. Life not worth living.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Probably just gonna get fined.
NHL: Matheson, we are just calling to give you a heads up for the rest of the teams in the league. If you try that again you will face retribution. You are lucky the Canucks have no spine. This is a warning. Don’t try this again with the other 30 teams. This is for your own safety.

Reactions: TruGr1t and pgj98m3

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Further to my points that the knuckleheads on here need to get out of their stone-age mentalities:

Note that "gritty" players like Gudbranson and Roussel are a product of the new NHL; not castaways of the old league. You cannot just be a goon anymore, and so you get a hybrid "gritty" player with some other talents (admittedly perhaps arguable talents) instead.

Furthermore, team toughness is not limited to punching opponents in the face or throwing injurious body-checks. It, somewhat counter-intuitively, has more to do with mental fortitude, and with not having to resort to such thuggery.

Real toughness is that critical bone-sacrificing block that Beagle made with minutes to go. To continue to play the right way in order to close out the win.

How often in the past would we have seen a players lose sight of the game in search of meaningless retribution and cost the Canucks the 2 points.

As I said earlier, they came back and immediately hit Matheson where it really hurts: on the scoresheet.

I for one am deeply ashamed at the majority of the fan base and especially at certain members of our local media. Have some class for fox lakes.

If thats the way you feel about the play and response from the team well just glad you aren't a member of the hockey team I play on.

This isn't flag football.

If the best player on your team is being targeted you best believe that the rest of guys should respond accordingly, take a number and deliver a bit a retribution as a message that this sh*t won't be tolerated.

Pettersson fair game, well then Alexander Barkov best watch his back moving forward.

Yeah the 2 points are nice, you know playoff push and all. But Pettersson is the franchise, he is the future face of this team. And yet he gets pummeled to the ice with no consequence.

This play and lack of retribution by the Canucks will be heard throughout the league and teams will take note that liberties can be taken on the teenage up and coming superstar that plays for the Canucks.

This team still lacks an identity, just a bunch of softies that don't stand up for on another. Sad yet pathetic.

Just hope that Pettersson makes a full recovery and isn't told to fly before he's recovered from his concussion.

Thatcher Demko might have something to say about flying with a headache.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
If thats the way you feel about the play and response from the team well just glad you aren't a member of the hockey team I play on.

If the best player on your team is being targeted you best believe that the rest of guys should respond accordingly, take a number and deliver a bit a retribution as a message that this sh*t won't be tolerated.

Pettersson fair game, well then Alexander Barkov best watch his back moving forward.

Yeah the 2 points are nice, you know playoff push and all. But Pettersson is the franchise, he is the future face of this team. And yet he gets pummeled to the ice with no consequence.

This play and lack of retribution by the Canucks will be heard throughout the league and teams will take note that liberties can be taken on the teenage up and coming superstar that plays for the Canucks.

This team still lacks an identity, just a bunch of softies that don't stand up for on another. Sad yet pathetic.

Just hope that Pettersson makes a full recovery and isn't told to fly before he's recovered from his concussion.

He's actually went with the team to Pittsburg and Benning said he feels much better after a good night sleep. Hope he recovers fast and gets back to dominating this league.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006

Petterson on the flight to Pittsburgh

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Lets say Gudbranson DID respond and got a hold of Matheson and got him to turtle...do you honestly think that stops the next guy from taking a liberty?

Retribution won't stop people from taking liberties...we have 17 years of the Sedins to prove this. EP just needs to physically mature and be more aware that people are coming for him and always will be.

Reactions: grentthealien

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Players tried to run Gretzky all the time. I played with guys who played against him. The fact was that he was very hard to hit. He basically knew where everyone was on the ice. He had excellent vision.

I know. As a fellow old fart, it drives me nuts to read the whole 'deterrence' thing. I've been watching hockey now for over half a century. Deterrence has never been a thing. For decades teams have had deterrents, and for decades players have been cheap-shotting players on those very same teams.

Sure, players and management believe in it, but it's completely non-sensical. If you ask Gretzky's teammates, they'd swear up and down and that McSorley's presence made other players avoid contacting Wayne. But if you asked those same players if they shied away and avoided hitting Yzerman or Bossy because of the Detroit and Isles enforcers, they'd say "What! of course not! I do my job, I'm not afraid of anyone."

Enforcers are the magic bean/anti-tiger rocks of the NHL. They work for 'our' team, but not for any other team in the league. And each team in the league thinks that (lol).

It's really quite simple. The desire to keep your NHL job and paycheque is much stronger than the fear of any enforcer. Any player who was afraid to do their job never made it to the NHL in the first place.

That said, I'm with those that are disgusted that there was zero reaction by the team. At the very least you have to get into the shoving match / glove in the face / harsh words thing. Show that you care a little about your teammates, sheesh.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Lets say Gudbranson DID respond and got a hold of Matheson and got him to turtle...do you honestly think that stops the next guy from taking a liberty?

Retribution won't stop people from taking liberties...we have 17 years of the Sedins to prove this. EP just needs to physically mature and be more aware that people are coming for him and always will be.

It's a wake up call for him. He's been taking the league by storm and guys are going to want to knock him down a peg or two. Established players don't like getting schooled by a hotshot 19 year old, it's a matter of pride for them. It's not like in Sweden where he had more time and space to work with; he needs to recognize that there is going to be constant punishment directed his way. I would expect him to play more conservatively upon his return, and unfortunately it's probably going to result in less creativity on the ice.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
This team needs to get some players with some guts. Its pathetic no one did anything in response. I don't want Horvat or anyone on this team as captain if they can't stick up for a teammate.

Thank god they signed up Roussel, Schaller and Beagle though. Needed that toughness right?

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I would like to see Horvat stripped of that A. Find someone else that can be a leader on the ice.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
This team needs to get some players with some guts. Its pathetic no one did anything in response. I don't want Horvat or anyone on this team as captain if they can't stick up for a teammate.

Thank god they signed up Roussel, Schaller and Beagle though. Needed that toughness right?
I imagine you didn’t care for Henrik much, did you?

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
I would like to see Horvat stripped of that A. Find someone else that can be a leader on the ice.
Like Gudbranson, the guy who people only notice because he get scored? Or Roussell, the guy who takes one stupid penalty after another?

And if you want to have a leader on the ice, you start in the bench. And if the leader on the bench has no leadership qualities, you get to management and ask why this happened. If management doesn't know how to answer, you finally identify your leadership problem. It starts up top, not on lower levels.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC

I agree that a response won't dissuade others from taking a shot at Elias moving forward. He's the team's best player and that alone will insure the opposition will be focused on making life miserable for Pettersson.

But the fact there was no response speaks volumes.

Yeah the Panthers are upset at the loss, but I am also sure they are smiling and chuckling at the fact that the Canucks had no response to the play.

Had Gudbranson or whomever responded and put Matheson or another Panther player in there place at least this sends a message that the team has each others back and will protect one another.

What message was sent yesterday?

Free admission for all, take a shot at our superstar in the making without consequence?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I agree that a response won't dissuade others from taking a shot at Elias moving forward. He's the team's best player and that alone will insure the opposition will be focused on making life miserable for Pettersson.

But the fact there was no response speaks volumes.

Yeah the Panthers are upset at the loss, but I am also sure they are smiling and chuckling at the fact that the Canucks had no response to the play.

Had Gudbranson or whomever responded and put Matheson or another Panther player in there place at least this sends a message that the team has each others back and will protect one another.

What message was sent yesterday?

Free admission for all, take a shot at our superstar in the making without consequence?

A response was definitely warranted, but the message a response makes is more internal than external...you respond for your own team morale and less about deterring teams from doing it.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I agree that the follow up could have warranted a roughing call but disagree that it was predatory, it was done in the heat of the moment.

We would love to see our D play with snarl like that. If Juolevi did that to someone like Gsudreau, we’d be applauding him.

On the same note, someone with snarl in our team should be finishing hits extra hard on Barkov for the rest of the game... and Mathewson should have at least got a face wash... if only for form’s sake.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
We would love to see our D play with snarl like that. If Juolevi did that to someone like Gsudreau, we’d be applauding him.

On the same note, someone with snarl in our team should be finishing hits extra hard on Barkov for the rest of the game... and Mathewson should have at least got a face wash... if only for form’s sake.
Agreed, that would have felt better but Petterson still would have had his bell rung :(.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I tried to perform the mental gymnastics required of this reasoning, and i ended up landing on my head like Pettersson.

Between this and the referenced MS post "elaborating" above...the reasoning amounts to basically:

-You're a simpleton if you think "tough guys" and "deterrence" is a real thing. What idiot would believe in that hokum.
-**** you Benning and Gudbranson for not magically making "tough guys" and "deterrence" stop the Pettersson injury from happening.

I mean...what? :laugh:

What the hell? That's what you took from my post? Let me try again :

1) Deterrence doesn't work and isn't a thing. Having a Gudbranson or our new UFA signings on the roster does exactly zilch to prevent things like this from happening, as we've seen over and over again.

2) Unfortunately, our idiot GM still believes in this crap and filled our roster with garbage players on terrible long-term contracts to that end. Awful for the franchise. Hence the 'f*** Benning'.

3) When something like this happens, there should be some sort of response. Not because it deters anything in the future, but because you're a team that goes into battle together and protects your own and shows spine and heart. And Gudbranson in particular has loved talking himself up in this regard in the past. And ... nothing. Hence 'f*** Gudbranson'.

Basically this team should have been built to be as good at hockey as possible and there should have been a response no matter who comprised the roster, but instead we have a team full of bad players there to 'deter' and they stood around with their fingers up their asses when our best player was injured on a cheapshot. Basically the exact 100% opposite of what should happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00