Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Panthers 2. EP down. Life not worth living.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Another Swede peeping in to wish EP40 a fast recovery. I didn't watch the game and the clip ended with him skating off, but from what I saw none of the guys on the ice skated over immediately to check him out?

I think fighting has no place in the game tbh and retaliation is pointless. However, I did think your physical guys could have crunched Panthers players against the boards more, not dirty, just played more physical , but not enough to end up in the box.

I would've preferred if the players on the ice at least started a scrum.

Definitely expected them to play tougher...no cheap shots, but at least finish their checks.

So, what do you think of our slogan this year? BATTLE, in case you didn't know...

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Gretzky had a giant meat bag in Dave Semenko on his line. Nobody breathed on him twice without getting their face broken.

The Canucks need to find someone that can chip in 10-15 goals while providing a deterrent and stick him next to EP. He will be a target of other teams for years to come.

Players tried to run Gretzky all the time. I played with guys who played against him. The fact was that he was very hard to hit. He basically knew where everyone was on the ice. He had excellent vision. Yes, Cement head was their to protect him as well, but when Gretzky started out you still had some teams that were pretty goonish.

Reactions: PecaFan

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Can someone find me a video where Gretzky was slammed to the ice in such a fashion? Let me know if you find anything! This can be handled in one of two ways. The league can either choose to protect its players from unnecessary and thoughtless acts of aggression by imposing harsh supplementary discipline (like they finally did with Tom Wilson) or the team will have to protect its assets. I would rather see the former approach. I don't miss guys like Semenko and Dave Brown lumbering around the ice. Time for the league to step up not only for the sake of the game and for the fans but also as a risk management tool to protect its business. With the current (and no doubt upcoming) litigation around head injuries, the NHL has to be seen to be taking this stuff seriously.
There was nothing predatory in Matheson’s hit, it’s happens all the time in games. As Green admitted himself, Mathewson isn’t a head hunter and has only had one fight in his career. Demanding retribution after every hit that results in injury is ridiculous. It’s a fast and tough game and sometimes **** happens.
I hope Petterson is alright.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
There was nothing predatory in Matheson’s hit, it’s happens all the time in games. As Green admitted himself, Mathewson isn’t a head hunter and has only had one fight in his career. Demanding retribution after every hit that results in injury is ridiculous. It’s a fast and tough game and sometimes **** happens.
I have no issue with the hit. A hard hit but certainly not illegal. It is the follow up where he threw him to the ice. He did that because he was pissed off/frustrated. It was not a hockey play. If not intent to injure (which it could have been), it was at a minimum a roughing penalty. If players know that they will be held accountable (preferably by the league than by a goon) for such "unnecessary" actions that result in injury, most will think twice before engaging in that behaviour. EP40 was vulnerable; Matheson's actions were predatory.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Another Swede peeping in to wish EP40 a fast recovery. I didn't watch the game and the clip ended with him skating off, but from what I saw none of the guys on the ice skated over immediately to check him out?

I think fighting has no place in the game tbh and retaliation is pointless. However, I did think your physical guys could have crunched Panthers players against the boards more, not dirty, just played more physical , but not enough to end up in the box.

Maybe his confidence on the ice carries as arrogance off of it and therefore really doesn't have friends on the the team yet outside of Goldy (whose friends with him cuz he understands he's given him an NHL career.)
Maybe his envious/jealous teammates were glad to see him him crunched.
So the only reason for them to respond next Fla game will be due to internet and media shaming between now and then... not cuz they care .

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I have no issue with the hit. A hard hit but certainly not illegal. It is the follow up where he threw him to the ice. He did that because he was pissed off/frustrated. It was not a hockey play. If not intent to injure (which it could have been), it was at a minimum a roughing penalty. If players know that they will be held accountable (preferably by the league than by a goon) for such "unnecessary" actions that result in injury, most will think twice before engaging in that behaviour. EP40 was vulnerable; Matheson's actions were predatory.
I agree that the follow up could have warranted a roughing call but disagree that it was predatory, it was done in the heat of the moment.

Reactions: Canucker

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I am pretty relieved with goaltending. I didn't think they were going to be positive factors. They have really wowed me.

Predictable end to Petterson.

Canucks should check out Gaudette and Archibald, they need both.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

I agree. It's hard to see your favorite players get hurt, but hockey is a tough game. You can't just make a rule where you don't hit certain players.

Now, the hit itself was a tad late and then then the body slam was uncalled for and later yet, but Elias will have to learn to take stuff like that. I think it's a bit unfortunate for Matheson. Most NHL'ers expect that and prepare a little better for it. Not that it's alright but it happens quite often. It should have been a penalty.

I'm hoping they just kept Elias out for precautions sake. He did skate off and looked alright doing so. We don't play until Tuesday so there wasn't much point putting him in at the 4-6 remaining minute mark (after sitting the 10 minute concussion protocol). It also happens to send a message to the league so that the refs will now be watching unfair treatment of Petterson.

Also. They could have retaliated, but winning the game was important to. I don't really believe in retribution every time you get hit in hockey. A lot of fair weather fans will say the season is a wash, but no true athlete or competitor approaches it that way in the 5th game of the season.

I'm happy we won, and I hope Elias is alright. Sure liked the way the guys rallied and played near perfect hockey the rest of the way.

Reactions: alternate

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Had a chance to sleep on it. Still fuming. How some of you are trying to defend this as a hockey play is gross.

They were running him all night. Couldn’t touch him with a hockey hit. Then with the puck no where near an embarrassed Matheson cantilevered Petterson off balance and drove his head into the ice. Bertuzziesque. Not a hockey play.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
dave-tiger-williams.jpg

Reactions: sting101

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
They should consider putting someone like Archibald in Eriksson's spot. See if he can finish some tap ins and provide a bit of insulation for EP.

Shame Gadjovich isn't ready cause he would be the perfect linemate for EP, and the kid can fight too.

Reactions: SomeoneGreat

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's not really about the outcome of this hit, as I think he'll be back shortly as well. It's what might happen over the rest of his career. Guys only get two, maybe three moderate concussions before they are severely impacted and forced to consider retirement. Sometimes even one can cause serious and lasting damage. They are very unpredictable.

To suffer a concussion five games into your 19 year old season is pretty terrible, as your next one likely means significant shelf time. Even if this one isn't major, as a target of other teams, it's likely he suffers another at some point in the future. This sets him up for future injury concerns, as if there weren't enough of those already. The team should seriously consider taking Eriksson off that line and putting him with someone that can act as a deterrent. Goldobin is skilled enough to provide him with someone to play with, he needs protection.

I don't know what's worse - your understanding of concussions or your take that you want to play EP with plugs when he gets back as a deterrent.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Oh wow, for once NHL play safety is NOT just sitting in the back room touching themselves.
Why do you see the need to use thinly veiled profanity and sometimes not so veiled in your posts? I also question your obsession with ‘fat’ and ‘swine’ when referring to JB, what’s that all about?
And btw, I’m not some kinda prude but I do have a kid that sometimes looks at this board.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Hey he gets a phone hearing. Now that's the way it should happen. I doubt he gets anything but ... at least they're looking into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad