Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Panthers 2. EP down. Life not worth living.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Lego99gamingrocks doesnt think pettersson will miss any game after listning to his video about it.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Im sorry, but who the F*** cares about Beagle.
And yes, Gaudette should be the #1 callup.
You know, one can care about both EP40 AND Beagle. Beagle was playing well in his role and he will be missed. Why call up Gaudette? Dude needs ice time in all situations. Keep him on the farm until he earns a call up. We can bring back Gaunce for that role.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
If you care about Pettersson then you should care about Beagle, they're both players on our team. Just because one is more skilled than the other doesn't mean you should only care about the one player :facepalm:
beagle wasnt hurt on a dirty play.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
What blew me away, even as far as "reactionary canucks fans on twitter" go, was how many people were wishing Tortorella were still around. Yeah, the most putrid coach in all of Canucks history, a history that literally includes Mike Keenan, would somehow fix this scenario? As if his petulant tunnel display was actually something worthy of worship, and not a perfectly-embarrassing encapsulation on the historic awfulness that was his tenure?

Everyone bringing up the Hamonic payback fight like it was actually a net positive for the Flames...Hamonic got ****ed up! What do you think happens if "not my captain" Bo Horvat steps in for some pushback? Lose your top 2C in one game? Thanks for the season, here's a 20% chance at first overall? So we can send a message to ****ing Florida who we play twice a year?
The season is lost at the moment this team is assembled by Benning.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
If you care about Pettersson then you should care about Beagle, they're both players on our team. Just because one is more skilled than the other doesn't mean you should only care about the one player :facepalm:
No I shouldn't . I couldn't care less for a player who has a contract well above his value, who came here as a retiring plan and guess what, he's going to have a few months of a calm retirement plan. Pettersson is a kid who got pounded by an idiot and no veteran answered that call.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Huge black mark against Green tonight.

Why ever use toughness in a sentence again if your best player getting abused is not reason enough to get angry and ugly.

Win was more important than sticking up for your family?? The only message taken from this entire night and game league wide is we are a bunch of selfish *****es and you can act however you seem fit to abuse our best players.....Green is an idiot for endorsing it and the fact that the entire team didn't turn into a bunch of angry wasps after that moment said a lot about who these players are and the culture that is clearly missing.

I dont get it. This was a chance to build a family not create distances between the organization and the players. All the mentorship and character bull**** goes out the window when the cause becomes bigger than the individuals health and well being...are we that scared of taking some abuse to make a statement these days?
Makes all the toughness statements useless lip service.

Hugely disappointed in the team top to btm....Green the most.

I'm trying to give green the benefit of the doubt and thinking he covered for his players non-actions. I understand he can't 'instruct' his players to retaliate because of legal ramifications, but we better hear or see some disciplinary actions taken.

This still doesn't excuse him or the team from playing soft for the rest of the game. Don't need Bert-style tactics, but something!

This team that benning built...it's funny to say 'team' because a team does not react like this, especially in hockey. Even in soccer we would retaliate and stick up for our own guys if the opposing team were taking cheap shots. What benning has acquired is a bunch of selfish individuals looking after themselves alone. These are the 'mentors' showing our young kids how to self-preserve yourself and to focus on getting paid. A team has each others backs and these guys simply don't. A complete embarrassment that sends a message to other teams, our own players and future UFA/prospects. I guess I might be taking this too far, we shouldn't expect too much for $20 mil plus, right?

I'm mostly disappointed with the players on the ice at the time. Their first reaction should be to stand up for their future franchise player, the youngest guy on the team. Screw what they said during the pre-game speech, which I doubt they would mention cheap shots like this, no mgt team will be upset if your first instinct was to protect your teammate.

So tired of hearing the same BS from the same posters on here, regurgitating all the crap bennbrod gives. It's almost like every single thing that comes out of bennbrod gets disproven. Everything!

Hope Petes ok and we see some disciplinary moves tomorrow, otherwise, green needs to be moved along with bennbrod.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Players, coaches, and even fans and "media" need to make their own decisions when something like the Pettersson take down and injury inevitably occurs in a hockey game.

If I was a player and that happened to my teammate, regardless of anything said or not said to me and the team by the coach, I would immediately escalate my physical play and respond very aggressively within the rules of the game, as best I could anyway, with the understanding that my approach would almost certainly result in an altercation, likely with the offending player, and I would embrace the opportunity for the altercation.

That being said, this team does not display proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
I think people are exaggerating the violence of that incident. Just speculation but from watching the video I don't think he'll miss any time at all, and I think the "head injury" label is just due to normal concussion protocol.

Reactions: carolinacanuck

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
It's such an awful result with the Matheson/Pettersson incident...but i'm honestly just kinda embarrassed by how overblown a lot of Canucks fans seem to be making it out to be. Pettersson got manhandled by a guy playing physical hockey right on the edge. Maybe adding a little bit of an extra jab to the chest while finishing a check. It ended extremely badly with the way Pettersson landed.

I mean, i'm steamed that i'm not going to get to watch Pettersson for the next however long, because it's the real bright spot on what is going to be an otherwise mostly bleak season. But that was at most...a roughing penalty, and i'd be hesitant to even call it that. This isn't Sweden anymore. You want to play down below the hashmarks? You're going to get hit. Sometimes hard. Sometimes even a little bit viciously. It's a fast, violent, physical game.

This was always going to be the thing with Pettersson. He's physically not a strong man. At some point, opposing D in the NHL were going to get tired of watching Pettersson deke and dangle around in their feet...and just take the body. It's not big ice. It's not a no-checking game. Just really sucks Pettersson had to really learn that in such a violent collision between his head and the ice after going down awkwardly like a ragdoll.

I really think too much of the outrage is about who got injured, rather than how. If that were Sam Gagner getting ragdolled behind the net like that, guaranteed there'd have been a flood of, "lol Sam Gagner sucks, he's so weak". But it's our shiny new toy, so the pitchforks are out for a guy who maybe pushed the line and added a bit more enthusiasm to finishing a check than he needed to.

Duh...of course there's outrage! No one would give a sh!t if it's a 4th liner... or some useless twat that isn't good enough to make the cut. Wow! That's some genious observation you've made...

After recognizing the obvious, you can't concede that there are other ramifications resulting from this? You choose to ignore the BS the GM throws everywhere and the all-talk no-action vets we acquired that aren't performing their duties? This is the example you want to set for the future with our young guys?

I'm honestly just kinda embarrassed at being associated with fans that show no backbone and prefer cowardice over pushback.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Duh...of course there's outrage! No one would give a sh!t if it's a 4th liner... or some useless **** that isn't good enough to make the cut. Wow! That's some genious observation you've made...

After recognizing the obvious, you can't concede that there are other ramifications resulting from this? You choose to ignore the BS the GM throws everywhere and the all-talk no-action vets we acquired that aren't performing their duties? This is the example you want to set for the future with our young guys?

I'm honestly just kinda embarrassed at being associated with fans that show no backbone and prefer cowardice over pushback.
Geez, reading this makes me wonder where you were after the 2011 game 7 loss.

Reactions: Canucker

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
As a Swede following Elias I feel for this :-( wishing him all the best. Also fell in love with Vancouver when visited back in 95, great city, love it.

I'm not sure Matheson will want to play the next time the Canucks playing them. Hopefully the Canucks take revenge in a Canadian way, this Matheson guy need to lose a couple of teeth, I am so upset but also sad about this. :-(

Elias is perhaps our best offensive talent since Forsberg himself. Some experts even think he is our best talent ever.

Unfortunately you might have seen everything. This team's objective is to get more points than last year so the mgt can talk about 'improvements'. They think the two points take precedence over the health of our young players.

I hold similar sentiments as yourself and I'll apologize on behalf of those few fans, players and mgt that prefer to turn the other cheek. If you want to see 'Canadian' hockey, I advise you to watch the Jets or even Flames. The Flames may not be big, but they will hold their ground and protect their own if given the chance, win or lose. I can respect that.

Reactions: 21 and Chiripa20

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I know EP is in concussion protocol but I don't think he'll miss much time. Pure speculation because every player is different but I'm not as worried as most.

It's not really about the outcome of this hit, as I think he'll be back shortly as well. It's what might happen over the rest of his career. Guys only get two, maybe three moderate concussions before they are severely impacted and forced to consider retirement. Sometimes even one can cause serious and lasting damage. They are very unpredictable.

To suffer a concussion five games into your 19 year old season is pretty terrible, as your next one likely means significant shelf time. Even if this one isn't major, as a target of other teams, it's likely he suffers another at some point in the future. This sets him up for future injury concerns, as if there weren't enough of those already. The team should seriously consider taking Eriksson off that line and putting him with someone that can act as a deterrent. Goldobin is skilled enough to provide him with someone to play with, he needs protection.

Last edited:

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
I know EP is in concussion protocol but I don't think he'll miss much time. Pure speculation because every player is different but I'm not as worried as most.

Ya me neither. After hearing how The Canucks handled the Demko situation I have no faith they will hold Petterson out for the proper amount of time.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Geez, reading this makes me wonder where you were after the 2011 game 7 loss.

Only a fool would try and make a connection between a SCFs game and the 5th game of the season when a team isn't a Playoff contender.

Geeze...

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Can someone find me a video where Gretzky was slammed to the ice in such a fashion? Let me know if you find anything! This can be handled in one of two ways. The league can either choose to protect its players from unnecessary and thoughtless acts of aggression by imposing harsh supplementary discipline (like they finally did with Tom Wilson) or the team will have to protect its assets. I would rather see the former approach. I don't miss guys like Semenko and Dave Brown lumbering around the ice. Time for the league to step up not only for the sake of the game and for the fans but also as a risk management tool to protect its business. With the current (and no doubt upcoming) litigation around head injuries, the NHL has to be seen to be taking this stuff seriously.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Can someone find me a video where Gretzky was slammed to the ice in such a fashion? Let me know if you find anything! This can be handled in one of two ways. The league can either choose to protect its players from unnecessary and thoughtless acts of aggression by imposing harsh supplementary discipline (like they finally did with Tom Wilson) or the team will have to protect its assets. I would rather see the former approach. I don't miss guys like Semenko and Dave Brown lumbering around the ice. Time for the league to step up not only for the sake of the game and for the fans but also as a risk management tool to protect its business. With the current (and no doubt upcoming) litigation around head injuries, the NHL has to be seen to be taking this stuff seriously.

Gretzky had a giant meat bag in Dave Semenko on his line. Nobody breathed on him twice without getting their face broken.

The Canucks need to find someone that can chip in 10-15 goals while providing a deterrent and stick him next to EP. He will be a target of other teams for years to come.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Another Swede peeping in to wish EP40 a fast recovery. I didn't watch the game and the clip ended with him skating off, but from what I saw none of the guys on the ice skated over immediately to check him out?

I think fighting has no place in the game tbh and retaliation is pointless. However, I did think your physical guys could have crunched Panthers players against the boards more, not dirty, just played more physical , but not enough to end up in the box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad