Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3, Kings 2 | #RealGood #PlayForSixth

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Again, sad but true.

As much as I love the Twins, they peaked FAR too late. Not really normal..

We should have been Cup bound during the West Coast Express years, If they peaked at the proper time, on the second line.. Boom! ;)

If Nonis drafted Kopitar then they peaked at the perfect time.

I guess we just have to be patient and wait for them to leave so Benning can blow up his new and improved team and start again, again.

Last edited:

JA

You might think they are in Columbus territory with being terrible not terrible enough but getting Lindholm/Hanifin and nailing a guy Rask in the high second is exactly how you turn it around in 2-3 years.
I'm not sure that they will be a much better team in two years; they've toiled for the past decade, and I don't see a strong core group there. After the breakup of the old core group around the turn of the decade, they have been stuck in a rather frustrating position, always about 10 to 15 points out of a playoff position.

Sebastian Aho, their 2015 second round pick, looks like a promising player. That said, I am not confident that the Carolina Hurricanes will good enough any time soon to be anything more than a fringe playoff team if these are their best players.

That's not what people here want. We wouldn't want to imagine going through this rebuild simply to assemble a team that can take one playoff round every few years and compete for wild card positions on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

Carolina is rebuilding pretty well.

Hanafin, Faulk, McKeown, Skinner, Rask, Lindholm, Murphy, Aho

That's better then our young guys TBH.
Jeff Skinner is the second-oldest player of that group on the team; Justin Faulk is the oldest. Bo Horvat, meanwhile, is the de facto leader of this group and the oldest Canucks draftee. They all jumped on to the scene very quickly and made a major splash in their first few seasons. Rask and Murphy were 2011 picks. Lindholm was their 2013 first round pick; Haydn Fleury was their 2014 pick.

Let's just assume that our rebuild began with Horvat in 2013, just as theirs did with Skinner and Faulk in 2010. The Oilers' run of high picks began in 2010, which makes this comparison even more apt. If that is the case, we are in Year 4 of building our new core. They are in Year 7 and are slated to pick 13th in this year's draft.

You wouldn't endure another three non-playoff seasons for a core group like that, would you?

JA

I'd jump up and down in happiness if Hutton turned out to be just as good as Faulk and if Virtanen turned out to be as good as Skinner.
I think the Carolina Hurricanes would have loved to mix in a few top-tier prospects, especially those drafted by their division rival, the Florida Panthers.

Alexander Barkov instead of Elias Lindholm? Aaron Ekblad instead of Haydn Fleury?

The entire dynamic of the core group changes with an elite player or two. We won't be very good if our objective is to emulate the Carolina Hurricanes.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Its to bad that the Sedins' can't explain to this team why they came up short in their attempts at a cup. If this team would have tanked for one more year after they were drafted, and gotten a game breaker to join them, they might have one.

Can't blame the young guys for being ignorant now, but they will regret winning these games 5 years from now when they can't get over the hump to win a cup.

Granted some players are just in the game for the money, and don't have that passion to win cups. As a fan I want to see a cup winning team here, and have been waiting all my life to see it.

Winning these last three games has taking this team out of any real possibility to draft a game breaker. They will probably win the next three games too. As other teams are smart enough to tank, whereas we simply just suck when the games matter.

Really?? Players aren't hockey/draft nerds like some people here. They won't be looking back years from now going "Gee, I really regret winning those last several games because we could have drafted so and so". Players, REAL players, don't regret winning.

Only we fans have the time on our hands to sit here and think things like that. I want losses - and I was genuinely annoyed at the win yesterday - but I also don't want my team to NOT try. That's what you call a bunch of losers.

I'm moving on from the dream of getting a franchise forward to getting a really good defenseman, which the Canucks need. I know it's not as sexy but you guys have to remember how important it is to build the D.

JA

But we still got a chance at Patrick, right?
Patrick Khodorenko?

Khodorenko_Patrick_medium.jpg

Dislikes: Kim Kardashian

He also derives confidence from kicking his brother's rear end in NHL. Based on his personality profile, he's a surefire Top 10 pick.

JA

Well, I was speaking of 2017 top prospect, Nolan Patrick... but this guy seems like a winner. At least he dislikes Kim Kardassian.
Nolan appears to be a stickler for spelling and grammar.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

Yeah, I think Carolina is fine for the future. I actually had them as a playoff team this year. They're well coached and Francis has done a decent job cleaning up Rutherford's mess.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Carolina has a very nice set of young dmen.

Now they just need to work on their forwards.

We on the other hand are like Columbus and even then I'd rather be Columbus at this point.

This team/organization's best outcome in the future is to be a playoff team.

Canucks won't sniff being a contending team with the talent that other organizations have in comparison.

Once the Sedins are gone, going to be more dark depressing years.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

After a decade of losing, their prospect pool should be better than ours. People expecting Our pool to be better than perennial non playoff teams are not thinking clearly, this season has gotten to their critical thinking skills.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
After a decade of losing, their prospect pool should be better than ours. People expecting Our pool to be better than perennial non playoff teams are not thinking clearly, this season has gotten to their critical thinking skills.

People would rather be Carolina because they won a Cup and we haven't.

I could deal with being **** for 10 years if the Canucks won in 2011.

Unfortunately they didn't so it just compounds everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad