GDT: Canes vs Rags - This is where the fun begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
That 2nd does make a lot of sense as none of those 3 are even good defenders. So, they will definitely have one of the best goals ratios from here on out.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
It's funny when we talk about Necas being bad defensively. That's maybe a partial truth; I bet, however, that if you trade him to a typical bubble playoff team, he'd immediately become one of their best 2-way forwards. I think that playing with Rod your entire career has an impact on your play.
CLASSIC PAUL FENTON.

KNEE DEEP IN SHIT, BUT STILL HE’S GONNA APPRECIATE THE SUN SHINING ON THE DANDELIONS.

NOW THAT HE ISN’T EVEN IN SHIT THE OPTIMISM ILLUMINATES THE ENTIRETY OF TWENTY SIX.

Last edited:

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
It's funny when we talk about Necas being bad defensively. That's maybe a partial truth; I bet, however, that if you trade him to a typical bubble playoff team, he'd immediately become one of their best 2-way forwards. I think that playing with Rod your entire career has an impact on your play.
Rod had him killing penalties (and not just the last 5 secs) a year or two ago I think with some regularity so he's hardly a complete defensive failure. He just seems to have more gafs at times then others do and is more useful on O then D.

Reactions: geehaad

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I mean hell, if Kuzy gets back to his normal self for the playoffs, its the 1st line that everyone has been saying we've needed for years.

We removed Bunting from the lineup and added 2 elite offensive performers to create a brand new 2nd line with the best pure offensive threat the team had before the deadline. And this gives us 2 seriously good offensive lines, a 3rd line that will grind the hell out of you but also has Jarvis just to score on you as well in case you try to overlook them, and a 4th line that should be a matchup problem against anyone we face.

Oh, and we still play the best team defense in the league, and our goaltending is anchored by a return from medical condition Freddie that was out so long this year that he's not really in any danger of hitting the 40 game mark that usually sees his health come back into question.

This roster is seriously good. Just need to stay healthy and its our best chance at a Cup since 2006.
I think you mean Jarvis and Jordan effin Martinook. Put some respect on his name

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I asked ChatGPT for a Dimitri Orlov Haiku.
Strength in stillness flows,
Orlov's wisdom guides the way,
Silent mastery.

I also asked it for a Tony DeAngelo Haiku
Fiery on the ice,
Tony's skill, a swift gliding,
Hockey's vibrant ace.

Jake Guentzel
Skating with finesse,
Guentzel, swift on frozen ice,
Goals dance on his stick.

Jaccob Slavin
Effortless on ice,
Slavin glides with grace, precise,
Defender's embrace.

Lastly, KK
Finnish grace on ice,
Swift skates carve dreams in motion,
Cannot score a goal

Ok, I may or may not have altered that last one.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Random question from a Caps fan - I see a lot of complaints about Orlov. Has he been bad for you guys?

He has been fine.

He had a very rough start to the year, which many defensemen do in the Canes' system. -10 in his first 5 games. That, combined with a rough start to the season, caused some heartache regarding whether it was the best use of our cap space this summer.

Since then, he's been one half of the best 3rd pair in the league and all 3 pairings have been playing pretty even ice time which will pay off in spades come playoff time.

A couple of posters here still feel very strongly that it was a terrible signing and he's a terrible player (also that the cap space taken up by Orlov next year will prevent us from keeping Skjei next year). The rebellion against that line of thinking has been forced into the diametrically opposed view that he's been incredible and the best possible use of cap space. These two opposing forces have gone through every stage of the "silly online argument" stage, and we're now probably all the way done with the real argument and onto the point where we're just making fun of how much Orlov sucks for the meme of it.

The real answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Orlov hasn't been as bad as his detractors say, as good as his defenders say, and the events of this upcoming offseason will probably best dictate whether the 2-year contract truly handicapped us from building the best possible team we can moving forward.

Reactions: geehaad

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Random question from a Caps fan - I see a lot of complaints about Orlov. Has he been bad for you guys?
He was very bad in the first 10-20 games largely when paired with TDA. There are a few reasons for that -- 1. Our system is VERY different than pretty much any other team and it's taken several guys a few months of games to really get settled in. 2. TDA wasn't playing well and they had absolutely zero chemistry together. 3. TDA's style and Orlov's style clash with each other. Both would jump into the O zone at the same time and neither was good at being aware of when to cover for the other, nor is other ideally fit to be the defensive guy who covers for an offensive D.

Since that early stretch, and since Chatfield took TDA's spot as a regular in the lineup, Orlov has been great. Still occasional bad plays defensively and a bit less offensive contributions than expected but he fits very well with Chatfield and those two are not sheltered at all and still hold it down quite well. I'd say he's playing like a $6M defenseman, so that's probably where some of the complains come from (and mostly from just 1 poster here), but considering the Canes' cap situation his contract really isn't an issue since it's just 2 years, both years where we have a lot of cap flexibility. He also has flashes of dominance in the O zone where I think if he got more minutes with our top forward lines we'd see more of.

I think he's likely to move up to 2nd pair next year and I personally am fully confident that he'll fit great there. Lot of moving parts on the Canes blueline going forward but I could also see him sticking around past his current contract, at a lower cap hit and depending on his market, but I could see it despite many thinking he was purely a 2 year bridge to Nikishin coming over.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
HEY BORSIG. GIVE ME AN O.
Sorry I'm not into dudes, bro. Hockey is for everyone.

It's not that he's bad - he needs a DFD partner, can't be paired with Burns, or TDA, and he bascially does nothing other than shoot the puck into a defender's skates. for 8M a year.

And the detractor they keep not naming is me. I mean I sat 70 feet from the dude as he got a breakaway and took a slapper right into the goalie from the hash marks vs Dallas. It was brutal. But not as brutal as paying 8m a year for that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t think Necas is remotely as bad as everyone else seems to think. He’s worth it.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Sorry I'm not into dudes, bro. Hockey is for everyone.

It's not that he's bad - he needs a DFD partner, can't be paired with Burns, or TDA, and he bascially does nothing other than shoot the puck into a defender's skates. for 8M a year.

And the detractor they keep not naming is me. I mean I sat 70 feet from the dude as he got a breakaway and took a slapper right into the goalie from the hash marks vs Dallas. It was brutal. But not as brutal as paying 8m a year for that.
GIVE ME AN O.

THAN AN R.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad