LeBrun: Canes "pretty close" to a structure with a 2024 1st round pick for Necas; Buffalo has "very serious interest"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Was it reported somewhere Carolina only wanted to give him a 5x5? Recent reports say they'd match an offer sheet up to like 9 mil
Ya... I haven't seen that anywhere. those numbers are too low on $$ and term. Canes m/o is to try and get their guys on 7-8 year deals. They probably offered Necas something in the $6-7m range and he is wanting $8+.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Ya... I haven't seen that anywhere. those numbers are too low on $$ and term. Canes m/o is to try and get their guys on 7-8 year deals. They probably offered Necas something in the $6-7m range and he is wanting $8+.

I don't think that money is the true disagreement between the Canes and Necas. It's usage.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
They're somewhat tied to each other because 2nd line guys get less than 1st liners, but still, I think it is fundamentally about usage and ambition over anything else for the Necas camp.
Sure - that's entirely possible but I would agree that they are essentially linked.

He views himself as X type of player and position, I suppose, and those type of players get paid a certain amount of money.

Reactions: Tryamw

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Did he have a presser? What was said?
Yeah, Adams just held a presser. I can't remember his exact quote word for word, but he said something akin to "I am not happy that negotiations are taking place through the media" like 3 times.....mostly unprompted. It was in response to a question that asked how different it was dealing with Tulsky than when dealing with Waddell.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
"Pretty close to a structure" sure does sound like a "if we're able to pick up another 2nd by trading back a couple spots in the 1st, would that 1st still be enough for Necas" type thing.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
"Pretty close to a structure" sure does sound like a "if we're able to pick up another 2nd by trading back a couple spots in the 1st, would that 1st still be enough for Necas" type thing.
There's a part of me that thinks......even though it's probably not realistic......that the media leaks on the Necas talks partially spurred Adams to make the deal with SJ now.

As a bit of a "f*** you" to Carolina. Like.....you wanted more than 11 and used the media? Fine, now we've got pick 14.

Reactions: JKG33

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
He hasn’t been the boss for 10yrs has he? I doubt Adams is pissed if the info is false so then where the hell Did it come from🤦‍♂️

so by this logic

A guy who has been a part of staff for 10 years where info doesnt get leaked suddenly becomes GM and now starts leaking stuff? totally makes sense.

i guess not understanding the GM doesnt make any rules for canes would help in this situation.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
so by this logic

A guy who has been a part of staff for 10 years where info doesnt get leaked suddenly becomes GM and now starts leaking stuff? totally makes sense.

i guess not understanding the GM doesnt make any rules for canes would help in this situation.
It actually kind of does. Maybe the new GM didn't agree with it before but had to fall in line or it could've affected his job. Now he's in charge and can play whatever games he might want.

Not saying that this is the case, but I don't think it's illogical, in a vacuum.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Carolina FO isnt a leaky FO so Adams can say what he wants but should check his team too.
The Sabres organization doesn't leak, and if info was to be shared, those reporting this aren't the Sabres conduits to do so, that's a fact proven time and time agan.

The info definitely came from Carolina's personnel. Not that it matters at least now, but not a wise way to handle discussions that I am sure were expected to be kept in confidence. It definitely paints Carolinas organization as not trustworthy. Just pointing out the obvious.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The Sabres organization doesn't leak, and if info was to be shared, those reporting this aren't the Sabres conduits to do so, that's a fact proven time and time agan.

The info definitely came from Carolina's personnel. Not that it matters at least now, but not a wise way to handle discussions that I am sure were expected to be kept in confidence. It definitely paints Carolinas organization as not trustworthy. Just pointing out the obvious.
because you say so, I believe it.

It actually kind of does. Maybe the new GM didn't agree with it before but had to fall in line or it could've affected his job. Now he's in charge and can play whatever games he might want.

Not saying that this is the case, but I don't think it's illogical, in a vacuum.
as a guy who saw a trade disappear after the owner leaked details of the trade, I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad