Post-Game Talk: Canes > Pens

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Well, Dubas has kept Sully…. and signing Jarry to that term was a horrendous gamble.
In terms of the roster otherwise it is pretty much just tinkering outside of his massive bet on Karlsson which to me was just doubling down on what hasn’t worked for years, as well as take away cap flexibility l.

I don’t see a direction nor a recognition of what this team lacks. I mean, our D add this season was Grelz… imagine thinking that would complete this D :D.
Because that wanker can't Oh baby his way into some actual information...
Dubas said he'll consult Penguins goalie coach Andy Chiodo and Sullivan on Jarry's future but left the door open for the goalie's return next season.

"We'll get a real scope of who's going to be available, whether that's in free agency or by trade," Dubas said. "And then, if Tristan is at the top of that mix or in that mix, because he's familiar, it'll be to try to establish a concept that can get done with he and his agent."
This was June 1st, so based on is information from Chiodo and Sullivan, he then signed Jarry. But yeah, sure, just making shit up or something by the absolutely delusional "fans" that apparently pay attention.

Oh right, this part too.

“Relative to the AHL club, I’m told FSG will mandate to their new GM that this AHL Penguins club needs to be highly competitive — on the persistent advice from Sullivan, specifically, in making sure the organization’s top prospects are developing in a winning environment.”

“It might come as a surprise that Sullivan is so adamant about building/investing more in constructing an AHL roster as he has taken flack for barely giving the AHL Penguins’ call-ups — and young players like Jonathan Gruden — much of an opportunity in terms of ice time.

“‘This is a (Sullivan) thing more than whoever the new (GM) is, … and right now (Sullivan) has the hammer with the Fenway guys,’ one NHL source told InsideAHLHockey.com a few weeks ago.”

The other parts in that link...still hasn't changed with this dipshit coach mind you.
My initial reaction to all of that goes directly to one point that Androckitis made.

Yes, this does come as a surprise that Sullivan is making the AHL such a focus of the offseason because he seemed so reluctant to use Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (26-32-8-6) as a potential source to help solve some of the Penguins’ problems last year.

The team was slow to call up players that seemed to be deserving of chances. And when they were recalled, they were given minimal roles and spotty ice time. Filip Hallander played in just two NHL games and has since decided to go home to Sweden and play professionally there. Goalie Filip Lindberg signed a two-year contract with TPS in Finland’s Liiga.

The aforementioned Gruden got just three games. Valtteri Puustinen led the team with 59 points and wasn’t recalled at all.

Not giving youth a chance is the funniest shit to me, I had this bookmarked for laughs. Gruden was great on the 4th line whenever he got a chance, which wasn't much, Hallander barely got a chance, also the vast majority of the call-ups got very limited usage on the 3rd line if they were lucky but mostly 4th line with barely 5-8mins and maybe 2+ games. So yeah, that was hilarious, then of course Dubas this off season is like f*** all of that bs, hires a proper development coach in WBS.

So to act like Sullivan has never had a say in things is kind of just ignorant because there's always been a lot of information out there that showed Sullivan had a lot of say, more than any other coach does in this league actually. It was mentioned before about Sullivan asking for Johnson and then there was that off season video where JR asks Sullivan about Jankowski, E-Rod and @Tom Hanks heart and soul - Dom Simon. They sit with Ventura and decide, this isn't some situation where JR is telling them who they need, he's asking them.

It was funny how that all went...Pensburgh has a good write up.
The deployments here aren't too shocking. Largely sharing the ice with players like Sam Lafferty and Colton Sceviour tells you what you need to know about how Mike Sullivan configured his bottom-six.

What surprises me is how much 5v5 ice-time Jankowski got when compared to his penalty-killing numbers. Sullivan hardly ever deployed Jankowski in this role.

The most interesting end of season presser was this one for me:

You basically saw Sullivan talk about what not to do and then he proceeded to do exactly that year after year with how he coached the team. It's like you see he gets how you shouldn't play, but then his system basically allows all of those problems to manifest.

Also this one, remember Sullivan had major issues with Cole because he wasn't shy to talk to the media, that room was close and Sullivan put wedges there with multiple players - Geno, Kessel, Cole, etc.

Now bookmark this, save it, I don't give a f*** which one - they can shove this info up their closeted Sullivan loving asses.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
I know they aren't good team but they were outplayed like SJ last year. They are completely clueless in the D-zone. Sullivan truly is one the luckiest coaches in hockey. He's no idea what to do right now everybody and their mother can see it and still media, GM and owners are worshipping this guy like he's second coming Scotty Bowman. Truly bizarre!!

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Oh, in that case I 100% agree with you. Hextall was MONUMENTALLY bad.

Yes... an abject disaster of a hire by Mario
I still don't think he was all that bad or rather nearly as bad as many want to make him out to be, I think the issue with Hextall is that his moves were a microcosm of the issues Sullivan had caused with his usage/deployment of players.

The notion that McGinn-Carter-Kapanen was one of the worst lines in the league is one of the funnier things - Because that was somehow Hextall's fault that Mike Sullivan decided to put them together, didn't use Kapapen properly once and he just went straight to shit like Jarry has become, McGinn became a shell of his former self and Carter lucky enough was still a Sullivan favourite so he kept getting minutes that he really didn't need at his age and that took its toll as well.

Who's fault is that? Did Carter, Brock, and Kappy go hey we need to play together? No, it was Sullivan just misuing 2 wingers in usage they weren't good in. The funny thing is in another post its brought up that Sullivan had this and that to say about Jankowski but then his usage of him was basically the opposite. He's been doing that for f***ing ever and blokes here STILL blame the players for failing being misused? LOL...just LOL.

For me, yeah Hextall did need to be fired, but Sullivan should have been fired along with him, the fact that they spun it to make it all Hextall's fault is what never sat right with me because it's bullshit. JR f***ing left because he saw what was happening, Allvin took off the first chance he got when JR called, Hextall and Burke were made examples out of to shelter Sullivan from any fault or blame. Dubas has to be one dumb twat to not get how this is going to go for him if he doesn't grow a pair. No one has done more damage to this team than Mike Sullivan has, Gm's had some dumb signings and trades, but the vast majority of them were because of how poorly Sullivan used several players, how his system was something that not many could thrive in consistently defensively and then constantly misused players and didn't really care to play them to their strengths. That sort of shit cost this team multiple players, picks, prospects, and years off of Sid & Geno's careers. So you lot want to say Hextall was monumentally bad? Whatever, Mike Sullivan is the reason this team is a shit show.

Then that absolute joke of an article that was pure fiction by two morons - Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe, about how Geno was sulking and Sid had to text him and some dumb shit like "not like this, we don't do this..."

Like the most ridiculous narrative that has ever been spun by two paid glazers like Rossi and Yohe and everyone bit that hard for some reason, lol. Hextall came into an absolute shit show of a situation. Sullivan was already spinning his wheels as a coach, new ownership that quickly latched on to Sullivan where Sullivan felt comfortable enough to bypass his GM to sign his extension behind his back.

Bunting sucks on Geno's wing right now, but he's still on Geno's wing, who's fault is that?
Beauvillier hasn't scored for shit in 4 straight games and is a -3, getting INSANE usage with Crosby this whole f***ing time, usage that players like Puljujarvi and Puustinen would never get, Puljujarvi has been better than both Beau, Bunting, and also Rust. It's the funniest part of these discussions - This line sucks, that player is crap, sure, but don't you think a Coach should see that and quickly make adjustments rather than double down on it because to him, it should work, has no clue why it doesn't.

Meanwhile players lke O'Connor and Puljujarvi are playing very well and deserve those chances he keeps giving to Bunting, Rust, and Beauvillier. Also Rakell still being SId's best winger option but Sullivan not wanting to do it, lol. Then Puustinen, probably one of the most shafted players on this team. The coach decides who dresses, the coach decides who plays on what line, the coach decides who gets how many minutes, the coach also decides what he wants to see out of you in your game.

This is why this team f***ing sucks.

Bitching about Hextall still, lol...f*** Ron and Burke, had they sacked up and fired that dipshit, maybe they could have made moves that looked better because of a different coach.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I mean we are what we were the last two years. We can beat bad, and some mediocre teams. We’re going to get our butts handed to us against good teams.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I know they aren't good team but they were outplayed like SJ last year. They are completely clueless in the D-zone. Sullivan truly is one the luckiest coaches in hockey. He's no idea what to do right now everybody and their mother can see it and still media, GM and owners are worshipping this guy like he's second coming Scotty Bowman. Truly bizarre!!
Look how quickly after the game ended, how fast the blokes that cover the Penguins went to pointing blame at players - Bunting being awful yet still getting top 6 minutes, Beauvillier not getting it done, yet the coach has kept playing him with Sid, then bragging about Doc's release, yet he wouldn't commit to Doc with Geno where he should be, as well as how comically out coached Sullivan was by Brindy for the entire game. Just like he has been against Lavi and Berube.

If a player is playing poorly and still getting usage he shouldn't, common sense dictates that the player shouldn't be getting those minutes and usage, unless you're Mike f***ing Sullivan.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
A curious stat that I noticed: Crosby and Malkin both recorded zero shots on goal even though they played normal minutes. Maybe this has happened before but it has to be an incredibly rare occurrence. Anybody got the data?

You have to make sure to have a powerplay where no one is in position to shoot.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
You know, I am starting to think Reirden's coaching of the defense wasn't so bad after all.

Or maybe they had a meeting and decided to try to top all previous recent embarassing performances against CAR. Too bad Blomqvist didn't get the memo, send the fool to the minors ASAP.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
everyone knows you can have either a mediocre power play or a below average blueline, but you can’t have both. You have to choose one.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Everything started off innocent enough and then the cans were like a wet blanket.

My day was long, starting at 2/3 in the morning and I didn't hit the bed until 11pm.

EDIT: Also, the new jumbotron is so big and distractiong I caught myself many times glued to it like a TV. Like, I should have watch OC score live, but I didn't.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Before I got rid of Reddit I would argue with those idiots all the time that firing Reirdern does nothing if you Sullivan doesn’t go with him.

Like people actually thought that the assistant coach was operating in a vacuum without his head coaches say.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I like how Rossi wrote that entire game off as *shrug* Just what them Canes do against the Pens! *fake audience laughter*...

As usual, player performances and the Hurricanes just having their darn number was the issue, not coaching, not poor line-up choices, not piss poor usage and adjustments, just good ole fashioned - They just gosh darn it, they just have our number.

Everything started off innocent enough and then the cans were like a wet blanket.

My day was long, starting at 2/3 in the morning and I didn't hit the bed until 11pm.

EDIT: Also, the new jumbotron is so big and distractiong I caught myself many times glued to it like a TV. Like, I should have watch OC score live, but I didn't.
The morons on the Pens pbp were like "Look at the Canes being so passive" and then the Penguins scored, Brindy was like yeah thanks for pissing us off and essentially curb stomped this team all over the ice after that goal.

Sullivan like usual, had zero answers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad