GDT: Canes @ Isles 1/4 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
Peters was sitting at 6th/7th in the league in sv% and GAA with close to 20 games played, and he was "nowhere near the best in the league"? His numbers said otherwise.

I made the nowhere near the best in the league statement - and it was not meant to be he wasn't up near the top 10 in Stats, it was meant more he was nowhere near the level of player as the top few guys.

Once again nobody is trying to discredit what Peters has done -- but it doesn't warrant a 2 million dollar a year extension.
He got his chances, he got his starts, he even got some extra starts when Cam came back and in his last 2 he had under .850 save percentages giving up 4 goals in each.

And 1 win in his last 5.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Peters was sitting at 6th/7th in the league in sv% and GAA with close to 20 games played, and he was "nowhere near the best in the league"? His numbers said otherwise.

Too many people invested too much time and effort bagging his play over the years when he was called up, and refuse to acknowledge that he's improved his game by a good measure. They can't let go. Bad rebounds are given up by every goalie but are ignored because Peters wears that badge, so every time he gives one up it's a face palm moment whether the other team has exploited it or not. d

I swear some people watch the game looking for this type of thing. These are the same ones who cry and whine about players not being developed properly, and yet when they see a player that may have just done that very thing, they torpedo it because it doesn't fit their preconceived notions.

teh-stoopid-burns.jpg

The irony! It burns!

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
The question is, would you give Peters a contract next year? That is your barometer on how much you believe in him.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I like Peters, I do and he really is a nice guy and has the potential to be a regular backup for any team in the NHL but I want them to take a chance on Doby.

It's still a chance given the volume of games he's played but it's obvious he's skilled. He's got great numbers for a backup more like a starter and let's be honest Ward isn't currently stealing the job. We need hope and I believe Khudobin could deliver.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
The question is, would you give Peters a contract next year? That is your barometer on how much you believe in him.

That's a question mark until it's seen through more starts whether the last couple games were a hiccup for someone who's developed to his next level, or not. He put forth plenty of game heroics to get those numbers, and faced more shots per game and per minute than Ward during that time. Anyone who doesn't see that he's improved his patience and made strides with the rebound thing are cherry-picking imperfections that exist in even the best goalie's games.

It's not as if he had only 2 good games and a string of lousy ones, it's the other way around and yet people conveniently forget (or more likely don't want to believe for personal issues) players do develop. Sure, it makes one sound important to say "Oh, he'll never be a legit NHLer blah blah blah", as if they "know", but we all know that's garbage. Games aren't decided by the confidence level that HF posters have in their favorite whipping boy.

What we do know is that both Peters and Anton are outperforming Ward by a noticeable margin. Ward's stats remain near the bottom of the League, and he's entered the Category of being Injury Prone. We go through seasons hearing the same excuses; He's must be playing injured. He IS injured. He's coming off an injury. Next season he'll be ready. On and on. It's getting to be as predictable as EStaal's November/December cold streaks.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Bringing up Ward is pointless, since JR's already dismissed any talks about moving him. Whether or not it's the right move is up for debate, but the fact of the matter is, the team plans on moving Peters or Anton. Which one do you think has more of a future with this team?

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
^ This is basically how I feel about many of the people who do not like Peters, and when hard numbers are mentioned, I get called "his girlfriend".

Hey if you think that's bad, just mention that Chad LaRose was one of the better 5-on-5, even strength goal-scorers on the team during full seasons while he was playing in the top 6 and prepare yourself to be swarmed. People refuse to believe the numbers if it means laying off the whip, pretending that their fave players do it right every time, all the time.

I don't know where the team stands after today's game, but people like to (rightfully) complain the PP sucks and will cite the poor League ranking relative to other teams. What nobody ever seems to mention is that the Canes are just as bad at their 5-5 scoring ratio. They notice failure on the PP because it's easier than noticing that this team sucks dog balls at scoring 5 on 5. Last time I checked (before today's game) they were 25th in the League 5-on-5, same as their PP ranking. We have high-dollar forwards who can't finish with any consistency. Half the season is over, and some numbers are just abysmal but if those players have the right name, they get a pass.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Hey if you think that's bad, just mention that Chad LaRose was one of the better 5-on-5, even strength goal-scorers on the team during full seasons while he was playing in the top 6 and prepare yourself to be swarmed. People refuse to believe the numbers if it means laying off the whip, pretending that their fave players do it right every time, all the time.
he was also both one of the worst five-on-five goals against players and one of the worst five-on-five goals for players. basically he was trash defensively and only got goals because he shot the puck every time he skated into the zone which killed his linemates' numbers and the team's success because he never passed.

"What nobody ever seems to mention is that the Canes are just as bad at their 5-5 scoring ratio." why does chad's scoring ratio not matter? you just cherry pick ES goals personally scored by chad as if that's all that matters.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
he was also both one of the worst five-on-five goals against players and one of the worst five-on-five goals for players. basically he was trash defensively and only got goals because he shot the puck every time he skated into the zone which killed his linemates' numbers and the team's success because he never passed.

"What nobody ever seems to mention is that the Canes are just as bad at their 5-5 scoring ratio." why does chad's scoring ratio not matter? you just cherry pick ES goals personally scored by chad as if that's all that matters.

Lol, he was so bad defensively that's why he was a PKer. And yes, he killed everyone's numbers because your scenario was what happened every time. :laugh: Staal never tried to skate through 3 players by himself. Skinner never did that, oh no. And now you're a fan of +/- stats while ignoring his job was first forecheker? And of course, most of his goals were scored between the hash marks and the crease, not "as he skated into the zone". I mean, don't you remember? You said he whiffed every shot he took anyway. Yes, according to you, he was at the heart of all that ailed the team.

Of course, your whipping boy excuse is gone now. He's not taking up a roster spot. So explain why they suck even worse now at scoring than when he was here supposedly screwing up what otherwise would have been, according to you, a well-oiled machine? They're currently sitting about 25th in the League in Goals For. Where's all the scoring thats supposed to be happening? Take Skinner's hot streak out of the equation and we'd be sitting about dead last. How long was it between Staal's last ES goal and the one before? Six weeks? Semin has played 30 games and he has a whopping 3.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Was he a PKer? I know at one time, he was, but IIRC, his last couple seasons (which were BY FAR his worst defensive seasons), he was replaced by Dwyer (and others) on the PK.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised to see Khudobin in goal again tomorrow. I know they intended to use Peters for one of these three, but the way Doby is playing, how do you sit him?

Also, if Pat Dwyer had any hands, he could have had six or seven points tonight. Dude was everywhere, creating chances all night.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
If no hockey had ever been played on earth, and this season were the first time any of these guys had played, Justin Peters might get a real hard look in this trio.

But it's not. That 13 game stretch where he (and at times the defense) were playing some great hockey is an island. An island in the middle of a vast ocean of not being an NHL caliber goaltender. He was awful to start the season. He was lousy the last couple games. He's been lousy most of his career.

It's great to see some optimism about a Canes player, but 13 good games out of 20 can't erase everything he's done (or not done) in the NHL.

Maybe he magically developed from the 5th game of his nightmare start to his 6th game where he became a statistical wonder, and the last two games are a fluke to this new and improved Justin Peters. But it seems like the less likely scenario.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Also, if Pat Dwyer had any hands, he could have had six or seven points tonight. Dude was everywhere, creating chances all night.

Dwyer certainly taunts with his offensive game. Gets to the right spots, does the right things, but just doesn't have whatever. Which seems even weirder, given how slick he is on breakaways, often roofing pucks on the backhand.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=79&withagainst=true&season=2007-12&sit=5v5

Almost every single player LaRose played significant time with had worse goals-for numbers while playing with him. He hurt his lines.

Oh, and the Hurricanes are scoring goals more often at 5-on-5 this season than they did with Chad on the ice in 6 of 8 seasons. Outside of two seasons he was consistently in the low 2s to upper 1s in terms of goals for/60, while mostly playing in the top six. That is sad.

You have some strange obsession with even strength goals personally scored by a player while ignoring (1) even strength assists (2) even strength goals for (3) any and all powerplay points. Cherry-picking at its finest just to support the great Chad. I've already acknowledged that he was good at scoring even strength goals, but you seem to have a lot of trouble grasping the fact that he was very, very poor at generating goals for the other players on the ice. It doesn't appear that it's going to click no matter how times I mention it so I think we can just end this debate, as I quite obviously have already won it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad