GDT: Canes @ Isles 1/4 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Keep 3 goaltenders for now. If we get a good offer for Peters, take it. Hold on to Khudobin.

It's simple now in my mind, if no one else's.

--hank

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=79&withagainst=true&season=2007-12&sit=5v5

Almost every single player LaRose played significant time with had worse goals-for numbers while playing with him. He hurt his lines.

Oh, and the Hurricanes are scoring goals more often at 5-on-5 this season than they did with Chad on the ice in 6 of 8 seasons. Outside of two seasons he was consistently in the low 2s to upper 1s in terms of goals for/60, while mostly playing in the top six. That is sad.

You have some strange obsession with even strength goals personally scored by a player while ignoring (1) even strength assists (2) even strength goals for (3) any and all powerplay points. Cherry-picking at its finest just to support the great Chad. I've already acknowledged that he was good at scoring even strength goals, but you seem to have a lot of trouble grasping the fact that he was very, very poor at generating goals for the other players on the ice. It doesn't appear that it's going to click no matter how times I mention it so I think we can just end this debate, as I quite obviously have already won it.

It also doesn't seem to click for you that 1) I never said he was great, I was just never an obsessed anti-Larose puke just because he skated funny. 2) things like Staal's inconsistency and cold streaks and Ruutu's uselessness weren't and aren't dependent upon his presence either 3) People like you beating the drum could never come up with a better alternative as to who to plug into those lines at the time when someone was needed, you supposedly knew better than the coach. Corsi numbers only go so far, although i know for you they're the bible. Personally, I think you watched Moneyball too many times.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
it's hard to rag on a guy when he is scoring but Skinner really does need to learn how to pass the ******* puck once in a while. it would round out his game nicely and help the team, especially when he hits the inevitable dry spell.

there were several times tonight again but one obvious one was when the net was empty at the end there. they could have easily had an empty net goal if he would have passed it instead of him trying to go through three guys, losing the puck and risking getting cranked at his blue line.

it was so obvious what he was trying to do that maybe it's why Muller pulled him off the ice at the end instead of letting him try to extend his goal scoring streak. he looked pissed when he noticed the line change...lol.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
it's hard to rag on a guy when he is scoring but Skinner really does need to learn how to pass the ******* puck once in a while. it would round out his game nicely and help the team, especially when he hits the inevitable dry spell.

there were several times tonight again but one obvious one was when the net was empty at the end there. they could have easily had an empty net goal if he would have passed it instead of him trying to go through three guys, losing the puck and risking getting cranked at his blue line.

it was so obvious what he was trying to do that maybe it's why Muller pulled him off the ice at the end instead of letting him try to extend his goal scoring streak. he looked pissed when he noticed the line change...lol.

Uh, he got a primary assist tonight, not sure what you're talking about... :sarcasm:

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh
4 for Manny, 3 for Semin.

On that note:

Skinner 11
J Staal 8
E Staal 7
Gerbe 6
Tlusty 5
Malhotra 4
Everybody else 3 or less

Asterisk to this chart is 3 of E Staal's 7 ES goals were empty netters. So, only 4 ES goals scored with a goalie in the net.

Skinner is our only other empty net scorer with one, so his ES total with goalie in place is still a team-leading 10.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Great game by the Anton tonight... I don't even want to play Peters tomorrow lol.

Seriously, when Anton plays like he did tonight, he's our goalie, period. If he can just string those performances together.

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere

You are not alone in your way of thinking... Watch the games: dmen are NOT playing the pass at all when he has the puck... He needs to think team first (which is not necessarily pass the puck).

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
Great game by the Anton tonight... I don't even want to play Peters tomorrow lol.

Seriously, when Anton plays like he did tonight, he's our goalie, period. If he can just string those performances together.

Your wish is Kirk's command? Dobby will be in net against Nash.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
After 4 points in his first 17 games, 16 in 25 and 7 in 9. Him trending in the right direction is a good sign. Will be interesting to see what Muller does with him.

He's shown plenty of chemistry (at least offensively) with both Skinner and Semin, but can and do they want Malholtra to try and take over more of the defensive responsibilities?

Just assume Skinner is going to do his thing, and plug in whoever on the top line? Interesting coaching quandary.

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
Has to be Rask... So Jordon is the top line center? Wow, we are in trouble down the middle

skinner-jstaal-semin

ugh, what after that? Rask centering second line? Manny? Move Dwyer to 3c?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So probably has to be Rask at this point I would think right? Fill an offensive center spot.

Hard to say for sure. They could decide to throw Ruutu (or Skinner) in at Center for a game and wait for Lindholm to return from WJC on 1/7 (possibly). Not ideal, but throwing Rask to the wolves wouldn't be optimal either as he would need sheltered minutes if he comes up, so it doesn't solve the top line hole.

Imagine how screwed this team would be right now if they hadn't signed Malhotra.

Maybe go with something like:

Skinner-Ruutu-Semin
Gerbe-J.Staal-Dwyer
Bowman-Malhotra-Boychuk
Blanchard/Terry - Sutter - Dvorak

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Arguing about Chad LaRose half as season after his career is essentially over in a GDT for a game that ended with the Canes on
A 3 game winning streak.

Never change HFBoards.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I'll steer clear of arguing for/against Rask since I have no clue about his NHL readiness. However, short of that somehow being a solution, why wouldn't Malhotra be the top-line fill-in? I was really surprised when I kept hearing Sutter's name in with Skinner and Semin...woulda thought that Malhotra would be the next most logical fill-in.

I say this without having researched the line combos after EStaal threw in the towel last night. Maybe fill-ins were more varied than I'm aware of.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll steer clear of arguing for/against Rask since I have no clue about his NHL readiness. However, short of that somehow being a solution, why wouldn't Malhotra be the top-line fill-in? I was really surprised when I kept hearing Sutter's name in with Skinner and Semin...woulda thought that Malhotra would be the next most logical fill-in.

I say this without having researched the line combos after EStaal threw in the towel last night. Maybe fill-ins were more varied than I'm aware of.

Here's why I wouldn't do it. Manny takes a ****-load of draws in the defensive zone and plays a more defensive game. I personally think it benefits the team more if he stays in that role and I wouldn't want that to be the role for Skinner and Semin.

It's a trade-off as I do think he'd be better with Skinner/Semin than others (Ruutu, Sutter, etc..) would be, but I think the team is better if he stays in the role he was in..unless you double shift him for key draws.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Offensive zone starts. Muller likely wanted one of JStaal and Malhotra for all defensive zone draws and Skinner/Semin dont start many shifts that way when together.

If Eric isn't playing this could be a weird one. If they don't call up Rask what's the alternative? Ruutu at center? Are they going to need to IR someone to do it? Is Harrison already on IR?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
rask has done nothing offensively for like two months now. he recently got demoted to the third line in favor of aj jenks. i'd rather call up someone like palushaj and shift ruutu to C or whatever. rask isn't nhl material right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad