Confirmed with Link: Canadiens acquire Eric Tangradi from Jets For Peter Budaj and Patrick Holland

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Gildor Roy is in charge of sports at... forgot the radio station.

He just said Budaj was traded because he was making 2+ million + another amount still remaining from a contract with Colorado.

Anyway....

Yesterday he said he was traded to make space for Bouillon and that MB probably changed his mind.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Gildor Roy is in charge of sports at... forgot the radio station.

He just said Budaj was traded because he was making 2+ million + another amount still remaining from a contract with Colorado.

Anyway....

Yesterday he said he was traded to make space for Bouillon and that MB probably changed his mind.

That makes sense cause there is no way Tokarski's play had anything to do with anything? :sarcasm:

habitue*

Guy went from being the backup of a team that got to the ECF to riding the bus in the Maritimes. Jesus Christ.

Bus won't go far off the island's coast... :sarcasm:

He's kind of lucky. St-John's players always travel by plane, but the nearest destination is in Portland , Maine, I think.

But he demanded to be traded, right ?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Why the hell did the Jets made that trade? Wouldn't it have been simpler to just waive Tangradi?

They're now stuck with a 1.4M backup in the AHL. And he can get claimed if they call him up, right? Doesn't sound like a good plan.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Why the hell did the Jets made that trade? Wouldn't it have been simpler to just waive Tangradi?

They're now stuck with a 1.4M backup in the AHL. And he can get claimed if they call him up, right? Doesn't sound like a good plan.

I think they got rid of re-entry waivers in the new CBA. Not 100% sure thought.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Chevy made a bet that he'd make at least 1 player for player trade within his first 5 years as GM :sarcasm:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I think they removed re-entry waivers

OK, that would make a little more sense. I always hated re-entry waivers. But even then?

They basically traded two AHL guys and the Habs were able to throw in a 1.4M guy that the Jets did not even want to have on their team.

Bergevin should have claimed him and then trade him again, just for the :laugh: factor.

habitue*

I think they got rid of re-entry waivers in the new CBA. Not 100% sure thought.

Right. Budaj can be recalled at any time without passing thru waivers.

Jets needed a vey good vet goalie that might be called if Pavelec fails again. They like Hutchison a lot, too.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Revisiting this trade:

Budaj - 0-9-5 3.53 GAA .889 Save % in the AHL
Holland - 2 assists in 21 AHL games, 1 goal 3 assists in 4 ECHL games

Tangradi - 0 pts in 7 NHL games, 13 goals 17 assists in 44 AHL games...

Who is winning this trade? At this point I feel both teams are losers...

Tangradi has done nothing for the Canadiens who DID shed Budaj's salary, however, Holland still is a prospect.

Budaj was an outright expense to the club and did nothing. Patrick Holland is the ONLY part of this deal that leaves me somewhat optimistic.

Your thoughts?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Revisiting this trade:

Tangradi has done nothing for the Canadiens who DID shed Budaj's salary, however, Holland still is a prospect.

Budaj was an outright expense to the club and did nothing. Patrick Holland is the ONLY part of this deal that leaves me somewhat optimistic.

Your thoughts?

Low risk, now reward trade for both teams.
In the end, no reward for either team, that happens sometimes it's not a big deal.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Revisiting this trade:

Your thoughts?

Well we unloaded Budaj's salary, used somebody "a little" better as a 2nd goalie instead.....and get more production and size at the AHL level in Tangradi compared to Holland. For me it's a win....not a win you will remember in 10 years....but a small win nevertheless.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Revisiting this trade:

Your thoughts?

I think Mtl is satisfied with the trade for 2 reasons

1-We unloaded Budaj's salary
2-We acquired a veteran for our AHL team, something we needed badly

The Ugly Truth*

Revisiting this trade:

Your thoughts?

Tangradi was a frustrating player to watch on the Jets. Pittsburgh gave up on him and when he got to Winnipeg everyone thought he was a steal. Unfortunately, he never could put things together despite getting the benefit of the doubt. I suspect he's run out of chances to make it in the NHL and will end up being a career AHLer. Still, with his size sooner or later another team might just give him another shot in the NHL.

Budaj was brought in to help mentor Hellebuyck. Turns out Budaj was the one who needed mentoring! Have the Habs had a good backup since Bunny Larocque? :sarcasm:

Anyway, this trade was (barely) a win for Montreal.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
He might be a black ace that we can use in the playoffs, if we need so more size. Hopefully, if he does, someone will tell him to use his size, as he would play on the bottom 2 lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad