Who's better

• Jarome Iginla

Votes: 187 47.7%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 205 52.3%

• Total voters

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
No. Hockey has a larger team aspect and sometimes even the best leaders are left short of a cup. You're being disingenuous about Iginla's leadership.

I mean I could see it if he did something outside of 04 (where he in the end failed in the biggest games anyway).

But what has he honestly done to deserve praise as one of hockey's greatest leaders?

He consistently underperformed in the playoffs then when he finally left Calgary backed out of a trade to Boston to play with Crosby where he failed and then ran to Boston where he also failed.

Reactions: Hoochi Papa

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I voted Matthews weeks ago. Going about their position when Matthews actually plays like a soft winger with no heart is hardly meaningful. Iginla was much more of a leader than Matthews is and likely ever will be.
I never argued leadership but okay ill give Iginla that he;s a better leader. Matthews still plays a much more important position and I dunno what you mean by soft, guy hits and blocks shots as an elite C, what exactly makes him soft? because he doesnt fight? I dont think you want guys with wrist problems that can score 60+ goals a season to drop the gloves.

but okay so Iginla is a better leader. thats pretty much all that he trumps Matthews in.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
If Matthews wasn't a leaf that poll would be 80%+ Matthews and I'm saying this as a Leaf hater.

Matthews is almost as physical, significantly better defensively, better offensively, almost identical playoff production(28-21-49 in 54gp(with the flames only) vs 23-25-48 in 55gp for Matthews). Iginla had the benefit of Kipper stepping up in 04, otherwise he was a one and done in the playoffs his entire tenure in Calgary, not any different than Matthews.

Reactions: Metroid

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Iginla was 28 for the entirety of the first year after the lockout, and went on to have two of his best year in ‘07 and ‘08 after that.
Iginla was out of shape after the lockout year. It was an unprecedented lockout that lasted an entire season, and yeah he played a bitt better once he found his footing at 29, but hes firmly out of his prime at this point. A powerforward is not going to be putting up his best years at the age of 30+. Even if he was productive in post lockout years, this is not him prime, nor does anybody think 07 and 08 Iginla holds a candle to 2000-2004 Iginla.

Btw, Matthews is 26. He isn't getting any younger yet he is getting a playoff pass despite being surrounded by more talent, and even though their trophy cases are similar(I prefer Iginla's Art Ross + Richard + Pearson sweep rather than any thing Matthews did, but thats just me), there seems to be an assumption that Matthews is going to age like the greatest goal scorer ever and continue competing for major awards(lets add perennial Selke contender now that he got 2 votes this past year, thats like 1 more than Marner!).

Iginla was finished competing for major awards after 26. This is true for most power forwards as well as goal scorers. If Matthews finds a way to adapt his game and continue competing for those awards as he approaches 30 and beyond then he gets my vote for having a better career. I still take peak Iginla unless Matthews can step up in a postseason run before he hangs them up.

Last edited:

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
If Matthews wasn't a leaf that poll would be 80%+ Matthews and I'm saying this as a Leaf hater.

Matthews is almost as physical, significantly better defensively, better offensively, almost identical playoff production(28-21-49 in 54gp(with the flames only) vs 23-25-48 in 55gp for Matthews).
So you don't watch either play huh? Matthews doesn't play the game anything like a power forward, he isn't physically intimidating along the board battles nor does he out muscle skaters at all like Iginla did. Then you bring up raw numbers comparing a dead puck era player and Matthews getting 2 first place Selke votes. Yikes. Just admit you don't watch them play if you can't say a single nuanced thing about either player.
Iginla had the benefit of Kipper stepping up in 04, otherwise he was a one and done in the playoffs his entire tenure in Calgary, not any different than Matthews.
You actually used teammate argument to devalue Iginla? Iginla never played on a team with as much support as Matthews continues to have each season. I guess Matthews had the benefit of being surrounded by elite talent these last couple years, otherwise he only gets a couple Richard trophies and he is no different than Iginla :sarcasm:

I guess soon we can add this poll to the collection of losses for Matthews on HFBoard.
Matthews is only ahead by 9. if he was on any other team in the NHL, Matthews wins 80-90% of the votes
No, he doesn't. If he was on any other team he would never be in ridiculous polls in the first place. Love the victim complex. You already displayed a fundamental lack of understanding on how Matthews and Iginla play the game. You claim you watch all these games but maybe you should start wearing your glasses and look up from your phone every now and then, not just when the lamp goes off.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I never argued leadership but okay ill give Iginla that he;s a better leader. Matthews still plays a much more important position and I dunno what you mean by soft, guy hits and blocks shots as an elite C, what exactly makes him soft? because he doesnt fight? I dont think you want guys with wrist problems that can score 60+ goals a season to drop the gloves.
He is soft because he has an unwillingness to go to the dirty areas at times, and he gets bumped off the puck much more easily than someone like Iginla who was a tank. The guy is always a leader in turnovers each year, he isn't holding onto the puck like Jagr out there.
but okay so Iginla is a better leader. thats pretty much all that he trumps Matthews in.
Playmaking? Being a body that literally wears down defenders over a 7 game series? Not sure why Iginla's Art Ross is being ignored here, but that is an award that people who are good playmakers usually win, and Matthews will never win one. Imagine if Iginla was passing to Tavares or Nylander his whole career?

• Love
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
No, he doesn't. If he was on any other team he would never be in ridiculous polls in the first place. Love the victim complex. You already displayed a fundamental lack of understanding on how Matthews and Iginla play the game. You claim you watch all these games but maybe you should start wearing your glasses and look up from your phone every now and then, not just when the lamp goes off.
maybe you should do the same if you think Matthews just does nothing out there man speaking of ridiculous why is this thread even a thing? you gotta take off the nostalgia glasses

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Right, but at the same time of their careers:
Iginla - Totals: 626 GP, 250 G, 253 A, 503 PTS - Playoffs: 28 GP, 14 G, 10 A, 24 PTS
Matthews - Totals: 562 GP, 368 G, 281 A, 649 PTS - Playoffs: 55 GP, 23 G, 25 A, 48 PTS

Matthews has scored 118 more goals and 146 more points in 64 less games.
Matthews received Selke votes in 2017 (38th), 2020 (16th), 2021 (27th), 2022 (10th), 2023 (14th) and 2024 (3rd).
Iginla received Selke votes in 2002 (14th) and 2004 (34th). Iginla would also receive votes in 2008 (48th), 2009 (35th) and 2012 (43th).

I know Iggy is more physical and harder to play against, etc. but it's hard to ignore Matthews offensive production is much higher than Iginla's, plus he's reached as high as 3rd in Selke voting over Iginla's peak of 14th.

Again, let's have some context. The average goals per game this year was 3.11 per team. In 2001-02 when Iginla won the Art Ross, it was 2.62.

The 4th leading Flame in scoring that year was hockey player Derek Morris with 34 points. Dean McAmmond was third with 51. The Flames scored 201 goals that year. This year, the Leafs scored 303.

Context

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Playmaking? Being a body that literally wears down defenders over a 7 game series? Not sure why Iginla's Art Ross is being ignored here, but that is an award that people who are good playmakers usually win, and Matthews will never win one. Imagine if Iginla was passing to Tavares or Nylander his whole career?
Iginla barely played in the playoffs throughout his career, was only one run in the playoffs where he lead his team to win series and Kipper was playing amazing. the other 4 times Calgary made the playoffs they lost in the 1st round. and he wasnt a leader in PIT or BOS. that playmaker he only exceeded Matthews highest assist season 3 times
Iginla also missed the playoffs more than he made it too.
big whoop lets see him win a Art Ross with McDavid, Kuch or MacKinnon also in the league.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
The two seasons before the lockout he scored 73 points in 81 games and 67 in 75..

Good for 16th and 35th in league scoring.

One monster season followed by good not great seasons and a fluke run.

He was a good player and seems like he mostly a good guy off the ice but he is being given wayyy too much credit here.

16th in league scoring this year was 90 points. Stop looking at numbers that are not comparable across different eras.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
really surprised by how close this poll is. I hate the Leafs but can't believe people don't vote for Matthews here. His stats tell everything.

Jun 15, 2007
Why are people acting like Iginla was some super clutch playoff performer? He wasn’t at all.

Matthews is clearly just a better player.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I voted Matthews, but I thought it was only goalscoring. Iginla is obviously the better overall player, and his game translates well to playoff hockey

Matthews is a hart winner. Pearson winner
3 time rocket winner selke finalist C

Neither won a cup.

Matthews has the 6most goals all time by 27 with way less games

He is only behind Gretz mario and bossy in terms of pace.

There is 0 argument for iginla other than vague references to intangibles at this point in careers.

He’s so far ahead he would have to retire today for iggy to have an argument
for Careers

Matthews for regular season, Iggy for playoffs.

Iginla made the playoffs I think 6 times in his 18 seasons as a flame and only got out of the first round once.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Matthews is a hart winner. Pearson winner
Iginla is a Hart runner up, and won the Pearson equivalent twice, so that one more than Matthews.
3 time rocket winner selke finalist C
Iginla is a 2x rocket winner and appeared on Selke ballots throughout his career. I know Matthews got two first place votes this year.
Neither won a cup.
But Matthews can't get out of the 2nd round with a solid cast, a healthy Iginla took a non playoff team to a finals and was considered by many to be the best in the world following that run. slight edge to Iginla at least?
Matthews has the 6most goals all time by 27 with way less games
Oohhh raw stats again. Iginla was in the dead puck era. His Rocket win wouldn't even make top 10 in scoring last season.
He is only behind Gretz mario and bossy in terms of pace.
Lots of 80s players. Interesting.
There is 0 argument for iginla other than vague references to intangibles at this point in careers.
Or the fact that he had a better peak with a near award sweep (Art Ross, Richard, Pearson, and Hart runner up), and a better playoff run.
He’s so far ahead he would have to retire today for iggy to have an argument
for Careers
Why, so we can continue to pick on injured, post lockout Iggy and not have to watch Matthews 'on pace' numbers decline as he ages? Nah.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
He won it over Sakic, Jagr and Lindros.

Cause you said so?
I said likely still ahead. then what are the adjusted stats?

He won it over Sakic, Jagr and Lindros.
well McDavid lost a Hart and Lindsay to Matthews so can happen. but was Iginla winning the Art Ross on a yearly basis? no? okay so he had a awesome season and won it once. has he won any Rockets, Hart or Lindsay?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Results are closer than I expected.
Guarantee it would lean heavily towards Iggy if he had been a Leaf.

Matthews is the more talented player, Iggy was the better leader by far.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Matthews and it’s really odd seeing the poll this close.

Folks here fawn over hall of famers. I’ve watched Iginla since he entered the league, Matthews is a better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad