Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Although Bergevin gets tons of credit for making the Habs deeper, Dubas really made the Leafs D much better and very deep Leafs went from having Marincin fighting for time as the 7th D to Sandin, Lehtonnen and Dermott fighting for time.

Reactions: SwissLeaf

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
the biggest question mark was the allen deal but the way price has been playing compared to jake it doesn't look bad at all

I think was a good move. Price can stay fresh for the playoffs. Whereas in seasons past they over used him.

Mar 26, 2010
I think this is the most accurate. The one thing I do commend him on though is that he's always in every main board Leafs thread. However big or small. The dedication to his art is exceptional. I hope he can really find it in his heart to one day accept what he fears the most and come to love the Leafs because deep down inside, we can all see that his trolling truly is a cry for help and he just wants to be one of us. He just doesn't know how.

@Rhaegar Targaryen - You are welcomed with open arms, if you want to be a Leafs fan. We come in all shapes and sizes and craziness levels. You'll fit right in.
I think he is hiding.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs going to win President's trophy easily, wonder if they'll put an asterisk on it this season.

It's 14 games in, and the Leafs have been hot. The Habs are still a very good team, and will beat the Leafs a few times here. The Jets are also decent, and should put up a good fight. I think those are your top three teams, and then whomever wins the Battle of Alberta in fourth... then the playoffs. The Leafs winning the President's Trophy, or just the division would be nice, but it's meaningless without legit postseason success.

After the Habs streak through Vancouver, Chris Johnston on Twitter called them a Juggernaut... and I suggested that we pump the brakes some. Leafs have had some success now too, including rolling through Vancouver, and I equally say, pump the brakes a bit... but a great start to the season, is always welcome.

Mar 26, 2010
Who's Rhaegar Targaryan's team btw? The man is a elite bandwagoner.

Is it the Isles this year? Or the Bruins? Or the Sens? Or the Oilers?
Apparently it is anyone other than the Leafs.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I can’t see Montreal losing on Saturday. They shut down Marner and Matthews, both were pretty invisible. And you’re not getting goals from Mik-whatever and Holl again

But Leafs won LOL. Holl might not score again but can you shit down Marner and matthews again.

No one cares if they were invisible if the Leafs still won.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Winnipeg
4. Calgary
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa

Any surprises?

In my predictions I've got all four playoff teams right, just in the wrong order. Vancouver is much worse than I anticipated, Calgary worse than I thought, and Montreal better than I could've predicted.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's 14 games in, and the Leafs have been hot. The Habs are still a very good team, and will beat the Leafs a few times here. The Jets are also decent, and should put up a good fight. I think those are your top three teams, and then whomever wins the Battle of Alberta in fourth... then the playoffs. The Leafs winning the President's Trophy, or just the division would be nice, but it's meaningless without legit postseason success.

After the Habs streak through Vancouver, Chris Johnston on Twitter called them a Juggernaut... and I suggested that we pump the brakes some. Leafs have had some success now too, including rolling through Vancouver, and I equally say, pump the brakes a bit... but a great start to the season, is always welcome.
I agree that it's way too early for any talk of the President's Trophy.

However the Leafs win tonight was also important because no one can say something like yes they defeated Vancouver three games in a row and could not defeat Montreal.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Habs fan checking in, thought both teams didn’t play their best, Habs especially fumbled the puck around a lot more. Leafs defintely have a more clutch ability around the net. leafs winning without any of their big guns scoring is big for them. For the Habs outshooting them by a good margin while playing fairly poorly is a positive I guess.

thought Habs were better 5 on 5. Anything not 5 on 5 leafs are going to work them

price needs to be a lot better. I think the organization needs to stop treating him like a god and put some pressure on him. Sit him 3-4 straight and let allen run with it for a bit. He’s 30 for all we know he could be peaking. What is price going to do? Ask for a trade? Good luck any team wanting 10.5 for what he brings most of the year especially in a flat cap. I’m not saying the sky is falling but please but some pressure on him. He is a slow starter the last few years but come on.

leafs are the number 1 team in the div until proven otherwise

Edit and for f sakes price get rid of the red pads u never play good in those

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
lol

Some of us like points against the team we're fighting for first in the division with.

It's a thing in sports.
Oh I'm certainly glad. All I'm saying is that definately was not the Leafs best game and I doubt it was Montreal's either.

Hoping next Saturday is a better game all around. Especially if the Leafs win...

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Both teams are playoff teams. Thats all that can be evaluated at this point in the season.

What is with Western Canadians and their irrational hatred of Toronto? I see Western Canadians on here who cheer for Montreal, Boston, and other teams who go bonkers over their hatred of Toronto. It is borderline mental health.

Reactions: Critical91 and BTP

Rubi

Photographer
Jan 9, 2009
Leafs going to win President's trophy easily, wonder if they'll put an asterisk on it this season.
I wouldn't get too cocky. Its still early in the season and its not like the Leafs are blowing teams out of the water, with the exception of a couple of Vancouver games. Most of their wins have been close.

DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Wed, Jan 13
vs Montreal
W5-4 OT
Fri, Jan 15
@ Ottawa
L5-3
Sat, Jan 16
@ Ottawa
W3-2
Mon, Jan 18
vs Winnipeg
W3-1
Wed, Jan 20
vs Edmonton
L3-1
Fri, Jan 22
vs Edmonton
W4-2
Sun, Jan 24
@ Calgary
W3-2
Tue, Jan 26
@ Calgary
W4-3
Thu, Jan 28
@ Edmonton
W4-3
Sat, Jan 30
@ Edmonton
L4-3 OT
Thu, Feb 4
vs Vancouver
W7-3
Sat, Feb 6
vs Vancouver
W5-1
Mon, Feb 8
vs Vancouver
W3-1
Wed, Feb 10
@ Montreal
W4-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Both teams are playoff teams. Thats all that can be evaluated at this point in the season.

What is with Western Canadians and their irrational hatred of Toronto? I see Western Canadians on here who cheer for Montreal, Boston, and other teams who go bonkers over their hatred of Toronto. It is borderline mental health.

Western Canada has a Napolean Complex towards Ontario. Because we have the biggest city in Toronto and it is viewed as a world class city by other countries and is usually one of few places people know in Canada. Plus media coverage weighs heavily our way to. They feel under appreciated and under exposed, and many have an unjustified image that Ontarians have an arrogance about this and hold ourselves above the rest of Canada.

That's the impression I've gained interacting with Western Canadians over the years

Reactions: Brobust

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Western Canada has a Napolean Complex towards Ontario. Because we have the biggest city in Toronto and it is viewed as a world class city by other countries and is usually one of few places people know in Canada. Plus media coverage weighs heavily our way to. They feel under appreciated and under exposed, and many have an unjustified image that Ontarians have an arrogance about this and hold ourselves above the rest of Canada.

That's the impression I've gained interacting with Western Canadians over the years

Alberta is like the Florida of Canada...nuts.

Vancouver has a beautiful city. Didn't get to interact with a lot of people.

I am hoping to get vaccinated and check out Eastern Canada in the summer if things get more normal.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Calgary has had really good fancy stats with 0 puckluck backing it up... hopefully things figure itself out soon

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I think the final standing will be

1. Toronto
2. Winnipeg
3. Montreal
4. Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Ottawa

I think Winnipeg is sneaky good

Reactions: Pongs21 and Wats

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae

I've always looked at Ontario as a kind of proxy for Britain in North America ... do not feel that way about Calgary ... culturally different from my point of view ... not good nor bad ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad