Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Don’t worry guys, Rick will be quiet for a few days then he’ll come out with another nasty article just before their QF game.
You happen to work for the Blackhawks by chance? No other reason why you'd have such a hatred for an actual sports journalist doing their job.

On-topic. Awesome display by those women.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Cuba lead Honduras 1-0 on One Soccer. 60th minute. I am still having a hard time getting over the game against Honduras..

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Not that anyone cares but Cuba went down to 10 men in extra time and then won on penalties.

So USA play Panama. I feel Panama is at least on par with the US. Mexico play Cuba. They all qualify for the U20 WC in Chile next year.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Not that anyone cares but Cuba went down to 10 men in extra time and then won on penalties.

So USA play Panama. I feel Panama is at least on par with the US. Mexico play Cuba. They all qualify for the U20 WC in Chile next year.

It's frustrating how we continue to lag at the U20 level. We should be a bit more competitive in these tournaments but have a situation where we aren't assessing or identifying the right guys early enough.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's frustrating how we continue to lag at the U20 level. We should be a bit more competitive in these tournaments but have a situation where we aren't assessing or identifying the right guys early enough.
They don't really play many friendlies or have any camps at the youth level. Comes down to the lack of funding and overall infrastructure for youth development.

One of them main things we need to change and it sounds like Marsch will be pushing for more from the youth development and CPL side of things.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Via the Globe and Mail;

The International Olympic Committee said on Thursday that it will not investigate reported past allegations of cheating by the women’s soccer team, despite having awarded the team its medals.

“It would be a matter for FIFA,” IOC spokesperson Mark Adams said. “They have to continue their investigations, and they would have to come up with sanctions.”

A report by TSN suggested that Canada’s pattern of spying on opponents extended to the Tokyo Olympics, against the host nation. Canada tied Japan 1-1 in an opening round game.

After that report, Canadian Olympic Committee CEO David Shoemaker cast doubt on the propriety of Canada’s gold medal in Japan. “There appears to be information that could tarnish that Olympic performance in Tokyo,” he said at a press conference. “It makes me ill, it makes me sick to my stomach, to think that there could be something that calls into question…one of my favourite Olympic moments in history.”

IOC spokesperson Adams posited a hypothetical scenario in which a medal winner was retroactively disqualified by its federation. “Then there could be a medal reallocation,” Adams said. “But that would first and foremost be for the federation (FIFA, in this instance) to make the decision.” When asked if any nation had ever voluntarily returned a medal upon discovering it had been gotten unfairly, Adams – a man who has always has an answer to hand – seemed stumped. “I can’t say. I don’t think so.”

This is of course following reports FIFA may consider additional punishments for the Canadian women's soccer team after their 6 point deduction accomplished nothing.

What kinda Kangaroo Court ass shit is this? You can't just go "i am altering the deal' after you already decided on a punishment. This is pathetic even by FIFA standards.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Rick was just reporting the corruption of the Canadian Soccer program with their ass water tactics of drone use with the coaches and upper management. If you wanna scold him for exposing the stupidness of the program, then your priorities are severely out of whack.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Via the Globe and Mail;

This is of course following reports FIFA may consider additional punishments for the Canadian women's soccer team after their 6 point deduction accomplished nothing.

What kinda Kangaroo Court ass shit is this? You can't just go "i am altering the deal' after you already decided on a punishment. This is pathetic even by FIFA standards.
FIFA is a corrupt organization that expects to receive bribes and Canada Soccer has no money. So of course they are going in hard pretending that they are trying to protect the integrity of the game.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Rick fundamentally has no idea how this sport works. He is chasing clicks
Rick's job..his mission in life.. is to find things wrong in the sporting world. He goes the extra mile and when he does get a story, he beats that issue to death.. to within an inch of its life. Metaphorically like the caliphate deal with the international media.

He strikes me as a guy that was cut from almost every team he ever tried out for, and he is going to make sports pay.. pay dearly.

If I was a cynical man... and we know I am not (what?) I'd say that he didn't touch the Marek story out of both personal (fellow media man) and professional courtesy. (TSN and Sportsnet are in lockstep).

It is incredibly easy to tear the CSA apart as there are no ties to TSN or Sportsnet. I know for certain that if TSN was the flagbearer for national team coverage, we would not be seeing the Westhead onslaught we are seeing now.

Not everyone will agree and I really don't give a f***. No one in this country supports the Canadian National team(s) like I do.. they may support it as much, but not more.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
The timing of these articles coming out is sketchy asf!! Always a day before a big game. Rick is a POS! He’s blocking every single person who follows soccer in this country. Bringing up drones from a U-17 WC qualifier from 2019 is garbage especially before a QF match. These women have been through a lot and to get to a QF is amazing. TSN can go kick rocks for all I care. Garbage reporting.

This shit is to the point of sabotage now. Rick could’ve easily kept the intel about the U-17 WC qualifiers to himself until after the Olympics were over but no he shoves it out to the public every damn time the women are about to play a big game.

And does anyone actually care what happened in 2019? I don’t. 5 f***ing years ago and this POS is bringing it up

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
gi62t3sb1hgd1.jpeg

Some lineup changes from last game.

Ad

Ad

Ad