Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
One journalist makes the ben johnson comparison and that somehow represents all of canadian media. Most of the canadian sports media has been apologist.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
How is the Government of Canada suspending funding Rick Westhead’s fault?

You’re finding a lot of creative ways to denigrate everyone aside from the actual cheaters.

Ben Johnson’s infraction was far more severe and unsurprisingly so was his punishment.
There's nothing outlandish about criticizing those who report news for self-serving purposes under the guise of investigative journalism. Running a story about how the Men's team had been running with this practice dating back to 2019 while the Women's team is under the microscope is the very definition of being an opportunist. All it did was summon even more members of the media to make detracting remarks and encourage a harsher punishment

Rick Westhead's reporting has been very valuable in the case of shedding light on the dark practices of Hockey Canada.

This, on the other hand, is more damaging for the long-term survival of the sport in the country. Hardly any international outlets are still running with this news but there is a conscious decision by many members of the Canadian media, beyond Westhead, to be complicit in arresting any progress made by Canada Soccer.

At a time when the story should be centered on spotlighting athletes who have worked hard to get to this point, a mountain is being made out of a molehill

Reactions: Bounces R Way

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There's nothing outlandish about criticizing those who report news for self-serving purposes under the guise of investigative journalism. Running a story about how the Men's team had been running with this practice dating back to 2019 while the Women's team is under the microscope is the very definition of being an opportunist. All it did was summon even more members of the media to make detracting remarks and encourage a harsher punishment
What self-serving purpose? Every thing you say here is connected. Both teams are part of Soccer Canada so the fact that the men also used drones to cheat shows that this is likely an institutional problem.

Herdman coached the Womens and Mens in that time, both used drones....

It's all part of the story.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
This, on the other hand, is more damaging for the long-term survival of the sport in the country. Hardly any international outlets are still running with this news but there is a conscious decision by many members of the Canadian media, beyond Westhead, to be complicit in arresting any progress made by Canada Soccer.
Canada Soccer is there own worst enemy. They are the organization that cheated. The media didn't fly a drone over NZ's practice, Canada Soccer did.

None of this happens if we simply don't cheat.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Being mad that journalists have uncovered this being a long term pattern impacting both the Men's and Women's teams is, I'm sorry, just an absolutely batshit take. This matters way more because it's not an aberration.
Viens needs to do way better.

Fleming in hero mode right now, still motoring despite sprinting for 100 minutes.
Fleming would be at these same Olympics doing mid-distance track if she had prioritized sports differently. IIRC she was the best high school track athlete in Ontario in the 3000 and 5000m.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Fleming would be at these same Olympics doing mid-distance track if she had prioritized sports differently. IIRC she was the best high school track athlete in Ontario in the 3000 and 5000m.
Good thing she chose soccer as she's been our best player for a while now. Plus she's been playing for the national team since she was 15, it's been amazing to watch how she has developed for us.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Good thing she chose soccer as she's been our best player for a while now. Plus she's been playing for the national team since she was 15, it's been amazing to watch how she has developed for us.
Happy for the NT that she left Chelsea, but sad for Chelsea. She wasn’t as good as the other options we have at CM, but god she’s good.

I don’t watch NWSL, has she looked good at Portland?

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Happy for the NT that she left Chelsea, but sad for Chelsea. She wasn’t as good as the other options we have at CM, but god she’s good.
I always thought she played well in the Chelsea games I did watch, but we're loaded at CM. There's only a handful of teams where she isn't a starter I think, but it is good she went somewhere to be a top player.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Our tactics (at least in attack) are still piss-poor compared with most of our competitors anyways. What were they even spying about?
Yeah that's what I've never understood. What real advantage are you gaining? Our players can clearly compete, just let them do that.

Reactions: NyQuil

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Our tactics (at least in attack) are still piss-poor compared with most of our competitors anyways. What were they even spying about?
Yeah what are they even trying to get? It’s not like we’re a super aggressive attacking team to begin with. This team has this bad habit of automatically playing the ball back whenever they get possession. Kicking it back and building up, kicking it back to build up. Go forward!! Like I was yelling at the tv a couple of times today. Glad they got the win though! What a story if they get out of the group lol

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Lol yeah, I keep seeing this online and it makes me laugh every time.... Rick's just doing his job.
I think for me it is the zest with which he does it. It wasn't enough to cover the women to the max but he managed to toss out the nugget that 17 mens players.. yes, 17 (where the f*** does he get that from?) watched footage of Honduras in the fall of 2021. He better have been right on that... better have your sources and ducks in a row. I'll be coming back for him if it's proven that it was wrong.

On the coverage of the women? Pretty clear they got caught an embarrassed all of us. I don't have a bone to pick with his coverage there.

I was on the mountain today and watching on my phone. I let out a loud yell.. no one around luckily.

Loved the second half... would rather see that positivity right from the start on Wednesday.. Use the pace in the team.

Lot's of courage shown by these women, to beat France in France after getting rag dolled in the first half.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
TBH I think a former mens player likely leaked this one. Someone who maybe didn't like Herdman...
Could be right.. 17 .. seems like an odd number to report. I assume he only did it as he wanted to appear to have a very inside source. Would have been 23 players called up for that set of matches.. The other 6 not in the circle of trust? I don't know what you are showing 17 and not 23..

So I really hope he's wrong and getting fed some bullshit. I will enjoy that a great deal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Could be right.. 17 .. seems like an odd number to report. I assume he only did it as he wanted to appear to have a very inside source. Would have been 23 players called up for that set of matches.. The other 6 not in the circle of trust? I don't know what you are showing 17 and not 23..

So I really hope he's wrong and getting fed some bullshit. I will enjoy that a great deal.

He doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy to just throw unfounded accusations around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad