Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Part of it is lack of exposure to the masses.

They've been buried on OneSoccer (nothing against OneSoccer, it's just not a popular platform). Now they've got a national audience.

Canada was the best team in Concacaf in qualifying for the last WC, so this isn't coming out of nowhere.

They are the best team in Concacaf IMO and they are just getting better. If they can figure how to finish some of the chances they are able to create, then who knows how good they could be.

For those of us that have followed this program for decades, it's really exciting.

I'm happy that they are performing like this in such a big tournament and on the national stage here in Canada on TSN.

I tend to watch the post game reactions from external sources like ESPN just to get a feel of the perception that Canada has outside of this nation.

For the most part, they are still treated more like a Panama or Honduras, and they still have the united states and Mexico on a different pedestal.

Taking 8 out of a possible 12 points against those countries in world cup qualifiers was not enough to change that perception, and neither is this run in copa.

Are they the best team in concacaf? I suppose we could argue that the best talent is Davies, and David might be the best at his position, but In totality, I don't think it's the best collection of talent, but they should still be held in bit more of a regard than than they currently are in this region.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Do you know where the Cat 2 tickets are in comparison to CAT 3?

Hard to find for Copa in comparison to the World Cup
I don't see that big of a drop. If we get a large enough group, our 4some will have no issues dropping back to cat 3 so we're all seated together.

Prices are like $50 to $75 difference so far.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I tend to watch the post game reactions from external sources like ESPN just to get a feel of the perception that Canada has outside of this nation.

For the most part, they are still treated more like a Panama or Honduras, and they still have the united states and Mexico on a different pedestal.

Taking 8 out of a possible 12 points against those countries in world cup qualifiers was not enough to change that perception, and neither is this run in copa.

Are they the best team in concacaf? I suppose we could argue that the best talent is Davies, and David might be the best at his position, but In totality, I don't think it's the best collection of talent, but they should still be held in bit more of a regard than than they currently are in this region.

I don't think crapping their pants at the WC helped.

Reactions: maclean and Tuggy

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
We still had a bit of work to do after that game 🤣
For sure! Although the Trinidad game officially clinched us as CONCACAF champions if I recall correctly.

Anyway. Regardless of exactly where it lands, yesterday’s result is up there. And there was something extra sweet about doing it in front of 50K+ mostly Venezuelan fans.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think crapping their pants at the WC helped.

The US and Mexico didn't really do much either in that tournament.

In fairness though, that was a tough grouping for Canada. Both Morocco and Croatia went very deep in that tournament, and the other team was Belgium who was r more highly regarded than the teams that actually made it through.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Part of it is lack of exposure to the masses.

They've been buried on OneSoccer (nothing against OneSoccer, it's just not a popular platform). Now they've got a national audience.

Canada was the best team in Concacaf in qualifying for the last WC, so this isn't coming out of nowhere.

They are the best team in Concacaf IMO and they are just getting better. If they can figure how to finish some of the chances they are able to create, then who knows how good they could be.

For those of us that have followed this program for decades, it's really exciting.

I'm happy that they are performing like this in such a big tournament and on the national stage here in Canada on TSN.
With any finishing ability this match is a laugher! In all seriousness it could’ve ended 4-1 or 5-1

Reactions: Tuggy

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Extremely poor start from Panama.. horrid goalkeeping for this penalty.. was going to have a heck of a time doing anything with that ball.

James...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad