Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Piette or Jonston may be an issue yeah....that marking and jumping ability hasn't been there.

Canada coming on strong here..Davies really creating.
I think Piette has played well.

Johnston isolated against Nunez has looked poor.

Also David has been poor.

I think one thing people don’t realize is Canada has always had these types of turnovers in every game leading up to today. The difference is that when they turn it over, they don’t generally play teams that will produce a quality outlet or be concise in the final third.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Canada looked good in possession. Davies as a CAM was a good move. Lacking that bit of final quality in the final third though.

Defense was an issue too. Like Nunez is 1v3 in the box, he shouldn't be getting to that.

Reactions: robertmac43

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think you have to be weary of playing purely for the result here if we aren’t coming out dominant in the first 15 of the second half. Really might not be the worst idea to test guys like Kone against this opposition

I genuinely think Piette has played fine. He obviously has no physicality but he’s been composed and positionally sound.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think you have to be weary of playing purely for the result here if we aren’t coming out dominant in the first 15 of the second half. Really might not be the worst idea to test guys like Kone against this opposition

I genuinely think Piette has played fine. He obviously has no physicality but he’s been composed and positionally sound.
It's a friendly match where you are missing Oso, Hutch, and Kaye is still not fully fit. There is no better time to put Kone in and experiment.

Piette has been slow and safe on the ball. Kone can dribble forward, be explosive, and spread the ball with both feet.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I think one thing people don’t realize is Canada has always had these types of turnovers in every game leading up to today. The difference is that when they turn it over, they don’t generally play teams that will produce a quality outlet or be concise in the final third.

Definitely. Back line is a glaring issue. Tomori committing to Canada would have been a dream...:confused:

Good chance for David after a bad turnover from Uruguay.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Wow, that would have been something special. Great press again, nice opportunity for David.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Uruguay is perhaps the toughest opponent Canada has faced in a while.
They have such an organized backline and can really recover well on the counter. Reminds me of Croatia in many respects.

Reactions: maclean and Tuggy

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They have such an organized backline and can really recover well on the counter. Reminds me of Croatia in many respects.
Pretty crazy considering all their starting CBs are out injured. But Canada is pressing well.

Reactions: robertmac43

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I don't even know if I have ever seen Uruguay play a game; of course I have at some point... but it stands out. It is quite something to watch how structured and positionally supportive they are. Impressive to say the least.

It is something our lack of preciceness has difficulty with. We've been close on a few plays, but just missing a little finiteness to get the ball in just the right spot to generate a top notch scoring chance.

This is the perfect type of opponent we needed x 3 heading into the WC, no offence to Qatar.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Davies trying to do too much on his own imo.

That was some nice play to get the ball in the box... a little harder on the ball there and that is a shot on goal.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Love the pace the subs have brought. Sure, URU is sitting back, but we have been really pushing the pace here for 20 minutes.

Tajon is a starter imo. Makes a big difference out there.

Edit: Have to say as well, Corbeanu looks good!!

Reactions: Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad