Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I 100% agree @Pavel Buchnevich. Great write-up!

CONCACAF games are more about battling through poor conditions and reading, it's a mental and physically draining battle. It is not an environment to foster footballing ability, test your technical abilities, and prepare for the high skill of the World Cup. It's a different beast, Europeans just don't have it the same across the pond.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Here's a Honduras-based journalist with his explanation:

Loose translation:

Honduras won as best as they could against World Cup participant Canada.

...With a pitch in a terrible stadium

...With the weather in their favour

...With a homer referee

...But finally 3 points that will serve to build confidence.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I try to catch highlights for all the matches in CPL. 200 is a normal looking crowd for Edmonton.

ugh... that's tough.
I went to the last home game of the season last year in Edmonton. There were about 700 people there and it looked empty. That was also the weekend that Canada was playing in Edmonton, even then they could not get more fans out. It's honestly a fun stadium, you walk around the field and get up close to the action. The supporter's section is a fun group and was great to hang out with even though I was in Forge stuff.

The team has not been run well over the years and that shows with the drastic decrease in fans from year to year.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What canadians (if in their prime) from past generations would be good enough for todays team?

Julian de Guzman, Paul Stalteri, Kevin McKenna, Tomasz Radzinski?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I am no TFC fan but why are they not pushing for these expansion to be permanent? It seems like counter productive...
Permanent expansions would likely be significantly more expensive, and they may not be sure future revenue can support it.

Reactions: al secord

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Alex Bunbury
No lol. Give me prime De Vos. This team's lack of defense is frightening compared to what the rest of the team offers .

I didn't mean to demean your Bunbury choice, but our current number 9's far exceed anything we've produced in my 40 years on earth.

Also, I think Radzinski still comes off the bench for us. And I'd still take Junior over him based on his passing ability and IQ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad