Can Montreal Really Take The Next Step With St. Louis As The Coach ?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Habs really have an abundance of impressive blue liners in the system but who is going to be the shutdown or two-way stud? Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux all seem like PP guys. Only Reinbacher projects to be a two-way difference maker and that remains uncertain.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Habs really have an abundance of impressive blue liners in the system but who is going to be the shutdown or two-way stud? Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux all seem like PP guys. Only Reinbacher projects to be a two-way difference maker and that remains uncertain.
Guhle is a top 2 two way defender. Reinbacher should be. Engstrom, Struble should be solid defrensivley.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
MSL needs a defensive system coach and a PP coach. If he doesn't like it, bye bye....

The problem then becomes politics of getting rid a Quebecois coach, which needs a Quebecois replacement.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Guhle is already a two way stud who play again the best each day and he's not used on the pp by MSL. To stay in topic, no, I don't think MSL have what it take to make them take the next step.

Reactions: Hostile Offer

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No. As with almost all rebuilding clubs the coach during the rebuild will be replaced with a guy who forces players to not cheat for points.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Guhle is not a PP guy

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Maybe. Last year they sucked but MSL had them playing over their heads and kept it competitive most nights

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Habs should do what I bet Molson wants and bring Bergevin back as a coach. Otherwise clearly their young team is DOOMED.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I lean towards no. He was the right coach at the right time to change the culture, but I don't think he's the right coach to help them turn into a playoff team or Cup contender.

Reactions: HabsQC

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Guhle a PP guy? Huh? You've got it backwards. He's stellar defensively and has some offensive ability.

Reinbacher is absolutely not a PP guy either. At best he's like McDonagh where he's passable, but his calling card is eating minutes and being reliable defensively.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
MSL is just fine as a coach

Montreal has basically been running a full-blown rookie defensive corps for 3 years with mediocre goaltending, what did you expect? We still have rookies coming in (Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Engstrom) but at least Montembeault is coming into it's own and the other kids are starting to gain experience now.

I'm quite excited about our forwards. If Laine had not gotten injured we would actually have pretty decent top-9 and still very young. We also have Demidov, Hage, Roy, Beck and others all waiting in the wings.

Very likely to add another top-10 pick this year too.

Honestly, 2025-26 is such a huge year for this team. This is when it all comes together and they gotta make the playoffs. If they don't, I could definitely see MSL get the boot and a few changes/trades to the organisation.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Man-to-man defensive system is dogshit. It’s very apparent that every time they retrieve the puck in the Dzone the D has no easy pass option so it results in too many turnovers on breakout attempts.

He will have to swallow its pride at some point.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I wish that he can, because the guy is a legend and I like the person a lot. But he might lack experience in the long run.

Also it's only two games, back to back vs Toronto and Boston, so let's give him a little more time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad