Value of: Can anyone fix the Leafs defense without leaving the team worse than it is?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
would be more interested in what you want for Pulock. Kadri is probably on the table if Nylander makes the transition to center as a last resort, but I think we'd be exhausting our options on trading pieces that we don't see as part of the core going forward: JVR, Bozak, Komarov, picks and prospects

I'd also be much more interested in Pulock. Right handed, his age fits with this team, cost-controlled etc. Hamonic is a nice player but Pulock fits in much better.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'd also be much more interested in Pulock. Right handed, his age fits with this team, cost-controlled etc. Hamonic is a nice player but Pulock fits in much better.

he's my #1 realistic target honestly, almost too bad that he's produced so much in the AHL this year

He's a guy that I could see Vegas taking too, and given the expectation that Vegas' top 6 forwards will be very weak maybe there's a deal around JVR that could work for an unproven Pulock if he is taken in expansion

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
he's my #1 realistic target honestly, almost too bad that he's produced so much in the AHL this year

He's a guy that I could see Vegas taking too, and given the expectation that Vegas' top 6 forwards will be very weak maybe there's a deal around JVR that could work for an unproven Pulock if he is taken in expansion

If an extension was in place, maybe they do that.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I believe this request was to be closer to home which is south of Winnipeg, and it was during a family matter/crisis that he wanted to be closer to home for. I believe he's also since rescinded the request. Just fwiw, I don't think that request should reflect negatively on Hamonic given the circumstances
While Travic Hamonic rescinded the request, I think this was more out of respect for the New York Islanders organization. He realized he handcuffed the team and realized a fair trade wasn't going to happen. So in the interest of not looking like a guy who doesn't want to be there anymore to his coach, teammates and fans, he rescinded the trade request.

This doesn't mean that it still isn't a factor in his mind or GM Garth Snow's mind. For all we know, this "family matter/crisis" is still ongoing and Snow assured him they will revisit the subject in the offseason.

However, I do agree with you. This is all mere speculation and conjecture and shouldn't be used to lower Hamonic's value. His decline in play (in contrast to Nazem Kadri's uptick in play) is what lowers Hamonic's value.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I actually think that D core is in pretty rough shape. Rielly is not panning out to what people thought he was going to be. If he continues to slide thats yet another hole. So basically need 2 top pairing D, one being a #1D and a bottom pairing D. They have 3 good middle pairing D in Gardiner (#3), Reilly and Zaitev. But we saw Toronto completely crush Phanuef by forcing him into a role he wasnt ready for. Same things is happening to Rielly

They arent that desperate right now. But a time will come when they will get very desperate. Either when the young forwards get figured out a touch next year and they slow doown a bit and cant outscore issues, or when they absolutely need to contend.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
While Travic Hamonic rescinded the request, I think this was more out of respect for the New York Islanders organization. He realized he handcuffed the team and realized a fair trade wasn't going to happen. So in the interest of not looking like a guy who doesn't want to be there anymore to his coach, teammates and fans, he rescinded the trade request.

This doesn't mean that it still isn't a factor in his mind or GM Garth Snow's mind. For all we know, this "family matter/crisis" is still ongoing and Snow assured him they will revisit the subject in the offseason.

However, I do agree with you. This is all mere speculation and conjecture and shouldn't be used to lower Hamonic's value. His decline in play (in contrast to Nazem Kadri's uptick in play) is what lowers Hamonic's value.

again I think the reason for him wanting to leave was a family matter in Manitoba, not any dislike for the isles organization and that's pretty well documented: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hamonic-family-matter-behind-trade-request-with-islanders/

as is his rescinding of that request: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-travis-hamonic-rescinds-trade-request-islanders/

There's a report that Snow was offered Taylor Hall for Hamonic and turned it down: http://www.lighthousehockey.com/201...ers-balked-at-travis-hamonic-taylor-hall-swap

on-ice performance is definitely what determines value ultimately for sure

Pops

Sep 22, 2016
I actually think that D core is in pretty rough shape. Rielly is not panning out to what people thought he was going to be. If he continues to slide thats yet another hole. So basically need 2 top pairing D, one being a #1D and a bottom pairing D. They have 3 good middle pairing D in Gardiner (#3), Reilly and Zaitev. But we saw Toronto completely crush Phanuef by forcing him into a role he wasnt ready for. Same things is happening to Rielly

They arent that desperate right now. But a time will come when they will get very desperate. Either when the young forwards get figured out a touch next year and they slow doown a bit and cant outscore issues, or when they absolutely need to contend.
Good post, very accurate

The leaf defence is brutal, and I totally agree where you have them slotted

This is Lou's biggest challenge, because if it isn't addressed, it is going to be the leafsAchilles heal going forward

I'm a leaf fan, by the way

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
To the Leafs

Chris Tanev

To the Canucks

2017 1st, Kasperi Kapanen

That's tempting, that's for sure. I don't think the Leafs are willing to part with Kapanen just yet though. They'll try and use other pieces like JVR and other prospects to get a #2 guy first.

Mar 26, 2010
Good post, very accurate

The leaf defence is brutal, and I totally agree where you have them slotted

This is Lou's biggest challenge, because if it isn't addressed, it is going to be the leafsAchilles heal going forward

I'm a leaf fan, by the way

You are right, the Leafs D needs to be addressed. That does not mean we hit the evacuate button on the build moving forward and give up Elite young skilled players.

We can afford to take some time and "Do it right". We may have a few diamonds in the rough as is already. Play it out.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
again I think the reason for him wanting to leave was a family matter in Manitoba, not any dislike for the isles organization and that's pretty well documented: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hamonic-family-matter-behind-trade-request-with-islanders/

as is his rescinding of that request: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-travis-hamonic-rescinds-trade-request-islanders/

There's a report that Snow was offered Taylor Hall for Hamonic and turned it down: http://www.lighthousehockey.com/201...ers-balked-at-travis-hamonic-taylor-hall-swap

on-ice performance is definitely what determines value ultimately for sure

What is a "lighthouse hockey"? and why does it have any credibility?

I would actually like Hamonic on the Leafs. I think he'd be a solid fit in the top 4. Kadri is a non-starter for me though. Leafs are in need of a defender that can defend the other teams best lines. A guy that will complement Rielly and open up the ice for his offensive game.

Hamonic, Manson, Tanev are the types i'd really like to see.

I wonder if Erik Johnson could be that guy if the acquisition cost is cheap. When healthy that guy is a legit top pairing all purpose defender. Problem is he isn't healthy very often.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

I would actually like Hamonic on the Leafs. I think he'd be a solid fit in the top 4. Kadri is a non-starter for me though. Leafs are in need of a defender that can defend the other teams best lines. A guy that will complement Rielly and open up the ice for his offensive game.

I wonder if Erik Johnson could be that guy if the acquisition cost is cheap. When healthy that guy is a legit top pairing all purpose defender. Problem is he isn't healthy very often.

He seems like a good defenseman to target given the scorched earth rebuild that the Colorado Avalanche seem to be headed toward. They'd be mostly looking for prospect capital as well. Hmmm..

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Leafs don't need a true #1 d-man. A guy like Alzner will do just fine with us.

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly Marchenko
Alzner Carrick
Marincin Dermott
Nielsen

seh6p.gif

That defensive core isn't going to get it done, but good luck to you.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You are right, the Leafs D needs to be addressed. That does not mean we hit the evacuate button on the build moving forward and give up Elite young skilled players.

We can afford to take some time and "Do it right". We may have a few diamonds in the rough as is already. Play it out.

Thats a double-edged sword. Sure you could wait it out and give up less to get a good D core. But every year you dont improve the D core you basically hang Rielly out to dry and risk further regression or stagnation. Hes still young enough where if you can get good help this offseason and slot him lower in the lineup, he could progress and develop as intended. So you could kepe all the forwards, but you risk messing Rielly up more

Not to mention, having a good D core really benefits the forwards and maximizes them

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

it was just the first result on Google, but yes I think this report was wide enough spread that it is at least credible that someone in the media got it from an inside source, whether the inside source was telling the truth is not a given I guess

I like Hamonic too, but I'd prefer to go with a higher upside guy who's not yet established like Pulock who could be a real deal 1st pairing type. Tanev or Manson are a little different as elite shot suppressors, I'd be on board with that if it were available though Tanev has some injury concerns

Johnson for sure is a target I'd like, he's an underrated #2 imo. I don't think it would be cheap but he may be worth the price...age isn't ideal but dmen usually last a while, does have health concerns

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Please... there is no room on this message board for logical points like that. What on earth were you thinking???

Sorry, you're right. Leafs homerism is too strong in this LOl

FYI - the poll regarding trade value between Taylor Hall and Mitch Marner was closed by mods because of a "lopsided result" in Marner's favour, just under 90% voting that way

need to re-evaluate your positions on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad