Value of: Can anyone fix the Leafs defense without leaving the team worse than it is?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mar 26, 2010
This is a no brainer if youre the Leafs. I really doubt the Canucks do this. Could very easily get a higher offer.

No way Tanev gets a higher offer than that. I would not move the 1st alone for him. Does not impress me at all.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
No way Tanev gets a higher offer than that. I would not move the 1st alone for him. Does not impress me at all.

As an Oilers fan who has a hatred for anything Canucks related, and who has watched Tanev a lot over the past few seasons I would easily offer more than that.

Oilers 2017 1st + Benson ++

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Similar to the Oilers, NOBODY will want to help the Leafs acquire a top dman. That's their major missing piece. And you dont want to overpay for players in free agency if you plan on building a contender. If they can somewhow get Alzner/Shatty on a reasonable deal then go for it.
Otherwise get ready to pay top dollar for a dman, just a reality in todays NHL. To get quality you have to give quality.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As an Oilers fan who has a hatred for anything Canucks related, and who has watched Tanev a lot over the past few seasons I would easily offer more than that.

Oilers 2017 1st + Benson ++
Really depends what that plus plus on Benson is. Toronto's first will be higher, and Kapanen is a significantly better prospect than Benson who has missed a fulle season worth of games over the last 2 years.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Really depends what that plus plus on Benson is. Toronto's first will be higher, and Kapanen is a significantly better prospect than Benson who has missed a fulle season worth of games over the last 2 years.

Agreed. Kapanen is better no doubt.
To be fair now that we have Larsson I wouldnt pay as much as I would have last summer. But just to spitball Id be OK if Chiarelli offered: Oilers 2017/2018 1st + Benson + Jones/Bear/Reinhart (NHL ready)
Or even something around a 1st and Eberle.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

What I read is that the Leafs won't get to the Conference final (drafting 28/29 if they lose), let alone the Cup final (30/31).

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I read that as the first being lower lol, I hope that was a mistake.

It is confusing, but people generally go from the top of the board and go down the list.

So a higher pick is earlier than a lower pick.

Come to think about it, we should use earlier/later rather than higher/lower.

Mar 26, 2010
Similar to the Oilers, NOBODY will want to help the Leafs acquire a top dman. That's their major missing piece. And you dont want to overpay for players in free agency if you plan on building a contender. If they can somewhow get Alzner/Shatty on a reasonable deal then go for it.
Otherwise get ready to pay top dollar for a dman, just a reality in todays NHL. To get quality you have to give quality.

I agree with you. No other team/GM is going to do the Leafs or the Oilers any favours and gift wrap a stud #1 D.

BUT, we have to realistic! You guys are not going to trade McDavid or Draisaitl (who I am a huge fan of) for ****ing Tanev! Same as Toronto is not going to trade Matthews, Nylander or Marner. All of these players are literally untouchable.

The Oilers are in a similar position as us. Just going to have to be patient.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I agree with you. No other team/GM is going to do the Leafs or the Oilers any favours and gift wrap a stud #1 D.

The Oilers are in a similar position as us. Just going to have to be patient.

Oilers aren't though. The D is fine. What our team needs is a Kesler. Heck, I'd settle for a Jarett Stoll with our FO% at the bottom of the league.

Oilers need forward prospects too. The farm is kinda dry whereas D is fine also (C.Jones, E.Bear, etc.)

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You could get Carlson from the caps for a strategic package since they're facing a cap crunch and he's a UFA in a year and they have a solid RD lineup without him.

Something like Orpik + Carlson for Zaitsev (cheap ED exempt placeholder) and other stuff.

From a Caps fan, everyone else should just ignore this nonsense. I've seen people dream up all kind of scenarios to "get rid" of Orpik but this has to be the least and worst thought-out. The Caps WILL NOT add a player like John Carlson as a sweetener to take on Orpik. The "other stuff" that would be required in this proposal is something that would make Zaitsev an afterthought.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
FYI - the poll regarding trade value between Taylor Hall and Mitch Marner was closed by mods because of a "lopsided result" in Marner's favour, just under 90% voting that way

need to re-evaluate your positions on this.

Trade value =/= Better player

lol

Look at my post, I wasn't talking about their trade value, I was talking that Marner wasn't better than Hall at the time

Get your reading glasses on

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed. Kapanen is better no doubt.
To be fair now that we have Larsson I wouldnt pay as much as I would have last summer. But just to spitball Id be OK if Chiarelli offered: Oilers 2017/2018 1st + Benson + Jones/Bear/Reinhart (NHL ready)
Or even something around a 1st and Eberle.

What I read is that the Leafs won't get to the Conference final (drafting 28/29 if they lose), let alone the Cup final (30/31).
I don't expect to finish above Edmonton, and I don't think we will be in the final four. I fully expect to be somewhere in the 13 to 18 range.

Mar 26, 2010
Trade value =/= Better player

lol

Look at my post, I wasn't talking about their trade value, I was talking that Marner wasn't better than Hall at the time

Get your reading glasses on
Skill = Marner > Hall
Trade Value = Marner >> Hall

I am not taking a shot at Hall either. Marner is just simply the more skilled much younger player.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

What would you move for:

Tanev?

OEL?

Leddy

Werenski?

Curious to see your proposal for each. Ignore cap hits and contracts.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The D the Pens ran last year and the one currently isn't good either but you can score at will. Defense doesn't win championships, good teams which have a little bit of everything win championships.

Yeah but they have 2 elite centres. The only player who might reach Malkin levels (and even that might be wishful thinking) is Matthews and no one is coming close to Crosby on that Leafs roster. The Leafs also don't have an elite offensive D like Letang or an already elite 22 y/o goalie.

The idea that teams can win without great defence because Pittsburgh did it is often incredibly naive because the reality is Pittsburgh has 2 of the top 5 centres in the league, a top 10-15D and a top 10 goalie.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I thought the Hall vs Marner trade value subject warranted a poll to see which side of this is seen to be right by the majority, you can see it here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=143563

HF lost its trade value card after melting down over the Hall/Larsson deal, which Leafs fans are now apparently desperate to classify as a once-in-a-generation fluke due to what it means for their wet dreams about acquiring a premier D for anything less than a premier asset.

That this is the same board that lost its collective mind over Davidson for Desharnais (4 pts, 57% on the dot) also does not help your attempt at polling its collective "intelligence".

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Our salvation is in Vegas. They will have what we need and we will have what they need.

This exactly. They are likely going to take a surplus of young defenseman so they can deal them and stockpile assets. Also another idea would be to trade JVR for futures, and then try and use some of our prospects and picks to get Tanev/Johnson.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
HF lost its trade value card after melting down over the Hall/Larsson deal, which Leafs fans are now apparently desperate to classify as a once-in-a-generation fluke due to what it means for their wet dreams about acquiring a premier D for anything less than a premier asset.

That this is the same board that lost its collective mind over Davidson for Desharnais (4 pts, 57% on the dot) also does not help your attempt at polling its collective "intelligence".

Luke Schenn gets you JVR. Not a fluke, am I right? Third pairing D get you first line wingers. See how stupid it sounds to use one bad trade as a benchmark for all future trades? Or does this not work because the Oilers weren't on the short end of the stick, which you seem desperate to justify.

Skizwald

Feb 1, 2016
Philadelphia
Luke Schenn gets you JVR. Not a fluke, am I right? Third pairing D get you first line wingers. See how stupid it sounds to use one bad trade as a benchmark for all future trades? Or does this not work because the Oilers weren't on the short end of the stick, which you seem desperate to justify.

Jvr want a first line winger on the Flyers when he was traded. He was struggling, showed little enthusiasm in most games, and often injured. Luke Schenn was another former high overall pick that wasn't living up to expectations. It just turned out way better in Toronto's favor. Jvr lived up to his potential, while Schenn never did.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Our salvation is in Vegas. They will have what we need and we will have what they need.

Yeap, a franchie forward to be the head of the Knights ;)

I wounder if Marner or Nylander would look the best in the Knights uniform...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad