Camp Set

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
If Hodgson performs well, based on these combos, the 2nd and 3rd lines would be interchangeable. Like a 2a and a 2b. Might expect them to get about the same 5 on 5 ice time. Remember, I said IF Hodgson performs well.
I also suspect Arvidsson maybe was held out for some reason and he would plug in for Jarnkrok who would drop down to 4th. Then he, Bourque and Nystrom would fight it out for being scratched.
Splitting Wilson and Smith is almost a necessity, otherwise Moses and Arvidsson might end up on the same line, which might not work too well.
All depends on the big IF.
Gonna really be some competition for power play time from these groups and also between some of the d's.
I can't wait.

Personally I'm expecting Hodgson to perform well for a variety of reasons. Actually, I'd expect him to pick up from where he left off a few months from the end of the 2013-2014 season (before that last coaching change in Buffalo that saw everything from the team's "system" revert to a total dump 'n chase game, to Hodgson's specific role as a non-coach fav), with hopefully a sound boost in his physical play from lessons learned having survived a year in the dog-house.

I've seen some comments around these parts re: the view of not splitting Wilson and Smith. As in, keeping them as wing mates with either Fisher or Hodgson as the pivot. Presumably that makes sense because of how they gelled last year together? The contrary argument of splitting them seems to go to the idea of splitting their size/physical style? Please clarify if I've got your thinking wrong.

However the wing pairs go together, a 2a/2b sounds like a way to go at least to start the season and see what clicks. With special teams, and presuming last year's power play units stick together, then Fisher and both and Wilson and Smith are still gonna see more ice regardless of who centers who at ES.

Last edited:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The other part of splitting up Wilson/Smith and Moses/Arvidsson could be an experience factor. Have a few guys who have been in the league with Moses and Arvidsson as opposed to having a new center and basically 2 NHL rookies playing all together.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Yes, I think Moses and Arvidsson probably can't play on the same line physically. I'd probably opt for splitting Wilson and Smith to compensate. But I wouldn't wait long to switch back if it isn't working. But that big IF is key. Hodgson simply must be the needed 3 center.
Funny that Moses and Arvidsson size is working against them both making the Team. Kinda like they are in competition only with each other. I'd like to see both start the season here; can you imagine the speed?

I get your point re: Moses/Arvidsson playing together physically, though I guess that presumes that both Moses & Arvidsson make the roster? I mean, somewhere the expectation is that Jarnkrok plays in the top 9 too... If today's practice lines are anything to go by, a tryout of splitting Wilson and Smith might be tested with Jarnkrok slotting into 2RW.

Me, I'm stuck on the theory that mgmt sticks to originally thinking at least to start the year - that Hodgson and Jarnkrok slot into the 3rd line to begin things. That leaves room for only one of Moses & Arvidsson making the roster, and I'd guess Moses given his status.

If mgmt does look to split Wilson & Smith, I'd pick Smith to try a run as Hodgon's winger, merely because Smith shoots right. Vanek's (formerly with Buffalo, traded to Min) best season was playing Hodgson's wing and his comments at the time referred to the their mix based on Vanek's right-handed shot. I don't bring up Vanek just cuz either, I mean his pts/60mins was significantly lower before and after Hodgson, and from his comments it seemed the fit had a lot to do with Hogson's style offering more to that right-handed sniper type.

Where Hodgson has been essentially a flop (despite being drafted as an above average two-way center) is defensively, and that's where I'm guessing Jarnkrok comes into play over Moses (who presumably mgmt might want to give a shot focusing on his offensive game) and Arvidsson.

All in, that might make for an opening night roster that looks something akin to -

Neal-Ribeiro-Forsberg
Wilson-Fisher-Moses
Smith-Hodgson-Jarnkrok
Nystrom-Gaustad-Bourque
* Arvidsson or Watson as the 13th?

The Arvidsson & Moses wing mate duet would offer a slew of speed though, and I guess I wouldn't be afraid to see if it'd click just cuz they're both raw. But I'd plug Fisher between them for sure rather than Hodgson as it seems Fisher is far more sound defensively and besides, he's a genuine vet that the youngsters might get a lot more from than project Hodgson.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I said before camp started that it wouldn't shock me at all if both Fiala and Arvidsson don't both end up in Milwaukee to start the season simply because of their contract status. That said, it wouldn't shock me either if they keep him as an extra, just in case someone goes down early, or someone doesn't play up to par.

Frankly, having guys like Arvidsson and Fiala sitting there waiting will be a great motivation tool for several players. You either get it together and play well, or you may quickly find yourself on the bench, traded, or on the waiver wire.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It is in the tweet's url. If you are looking at it in a feed, click the date/time stamp on it to open the single message on twitter's site.

Of course this is assuming you are on a computer and not mobile, it is a bit trickier on mobile.

Example, below is a url of the tweet Drake posted above, at the end of it, is a long number. This is the tweet id/tweet number. This is what you place in the tweet brackets.

Code:
[noparse]URL: https://twitter.com/TomAWillis/status/648546685300420608

Example Post: [MEDIA=twitter]648546685300420608[/MEDIA]
[/noparse]

I still don't get why they insist on the user doing that manually. It'd be ludicrously trivial for the bulletin board code to extract that identifier itself - for this and for YouTube videos. Heck, give me the PHP source and about fifteen minutes and I could make it happen. :shakehead

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
IMHO, Watson has done nothing this camp to displace one of our forwards from last year. I haven't gotten to see a lot of Moses or Hodgson (obviously) but I would much rather see what Hodgson has to offer at center at this point than Watson.

If I were Peter, I would try out the following

Neal Ribs FF9
Wilson Fish Arvidsson
Hook Hodgs Smith
Bourque Goose Nystrom
Moses, Watson

Again, that's my opinion based on camp and the preseason games I have seen. My guess is we will replace Arvidsson with Moses.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
IMHO, Watson has done nothing this camp to displace one of our forwards from last year. I haven't gotten to see a lot of Moses or Hodgson (obviously) but I would much rather see what Hodgson has to offer at center at this point than Watson.

Neal Ribs FF9
Wilson Fish Arvidsson
Hook Hodgs Smith
Bourque Goose Nystrom
Moses, Watson

Again, that's my opinion based on camp and the preseason games I have seen. My guess is we will replace Arvidsson with Moses.
Is Watson ever going to provide anything of worth to this team? It's the same story every year. I understand he's still only 23 but he's never really taken that leap forward and he's always stuck behind guys already firmly planted in the bottom 6.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Is Watson ever going to provide anything of worth to this team? It's the same story every year. I understand he's still only 23 but he's never really taken that leap forward and he's always stuck behind guys already firmly planted in the bottom 6.

IMO from what I have seen this preseason so far Beck on the 4th line was more valuable than Watson.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

Again, in my opinion, Watson should've been moved a year or two ago, I remembering saying that back in 2012 when we traded our first for Goose. I've just never seen 'it' from Watson.

I think he will make a fine Goose replacement in a year, but outside of that, I just don't see anything that would give me any indication that he will be a top 6 player, maybe not even a top 9 on a competitive team. Again, my opinion, not fact. I've been wrong before (Franson).

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Neal Ribs FF9
Wilson Fish Arvidsson
Hook Hodgs Smith
Bourque Goose Nystrom
Moses, Watson

Think your pretty close to how it will shake out but do not be surprised when Moses takes Hooks place on the 3rd. That is if everyone can stay healthy for the first 6 weeks of the season.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Neal was day-to-day with a lower-body injury. Hopefully he's healed up and ready for the season.

Edit: Also interested to see how CoHo does. Not expecting much but he has some offense on that line so he should thrive if he puts the effort in. Same goes for Järnkrok.

I watched their practice Saturday morning and Neal looked fine. Participated in all drills. He was one of the last guys to leave the ice. Would never had known he had an issue.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Well it sure mattered to me I preferred to shoot from the left side of the net and struggled on the right side. I always felt more of an opening from my preferred side and was more comfortable shooting there. Now I may be an exception to the rule but as I think back most of the guys I played with did in fact have a preference.

Handiness is an odd thing just because one is dominate with one hand it does not always relate to that in this game. Body position and comfort is the determining factor.

Maybe this isn't as big of a deal as you are making it out to be.

Re: LW vs RW.

James Neal in "What You Don’t Know About: Being a Sniper" said:
One thing to notice is that I’m a left-handed shot playing the right wing here. That might seem like a small thing, but it’s actually a huge deal. I started my career as a left winger, so I was always receiving passes with the puck outside my body, away from the net. If you’re a playmaker, you might prefer this. I didn’t know how big of a difference this made until I got traded to Pittsburgh. Dan Bylsma walked in the first day and asked, “Hey, do you think you could play right wing?”

I’m like, “Uh, well I’ve never played it before, so I’m not sure?”

He says, “Okay great, you’re playing right wing.”

Once I got used to it, I really elevated my game, because whenever I shot the puck on my forehand, the release point was closer to the net. I was a threat at all times, especially on one-timers. I ended up scoring 40 goals the next season. So whenever a guy switches wings, it has a lot of implications for how he plays. (Thanks, Dan. You were one of the best teachers I’ve ever had.)

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/james-neal-predators-sniper/

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
IMO from what I have seen this preseason so far Beck on the 4th line was more valuable than Watson.
Both of these guys are dime-a-dozen, perma-scratch type players. Watson is somewhat more interesting though because he can play center (he can still play center right?), a position we lack depth.

Beck just cleared waivers, if that says anything about his abilities. He's just a boom or bust type of guy that doesn't excel at any one area.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Both of these guys are dime-a-dozen, perma-scratch type players. Watson is somewhat more interesting though because he can play center (he can still play center right?), a position we lack depth.

Beck just cleared waivers, if that says anything about his abilities. He's just a boom or bust type of guy that doesn't excel at any one area.

Just because Watson can play center doesn't mean he is better. Am I hurt that we cut Beck? No..But I would prefer Beck over Watson. From what I have seen of Watson lately, we have downgraded here other than the "Center" tag.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Just because Watson can play center doesn't mean he is better. Am I hurt that we cut Beck? No..But I would prefer Beck over Watson. From what I have seen of Watson lately, we have downgraded here other than the "Center" tag.
I also prefer Beck. I'm assuming the organization believes the ceiling is potentially higher with Watson so they've kept him around, even though IMO right now I'd rather have Beck.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I also prefer Beck. I'm assuming the organization believes the ceiling is potentially higher with Watson so they've kept him around, even though IMO right now I'd rather have Beck.

Frankly I think it's because we blew a 1st on him and they really don't him to go down as another bust. They are going to give him every opportunity they can to make it, I have a feeling though it's just not there.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i'm not giving up on the guy yet, we know he has talent, you don't score 20 something goals in the AHL without it. i'm thinking he's just awe struck at his first big shot. and i'd rather take a chance with him than have kept beck, there are always 4th line forwards out there galore. i'm sure the org is thinking at least he might grow into a replacement 4th line center for gaustad next year.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
i'm not giving up on the guy yet, we know he has talent, you don't score 20 something goals in the AHL without it. i'm thinking he's just awe struck at his first big shot. and i'd rather take a chance with him than have kept beck, there are always 4th line forwards out there galore. i'm sure the org is thinking at least he might grow into a replacement 4th line center for gaustad next year.
Because I initially thought this might be Rinehart's future role, I sure hope now Watson could be the one to take it.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Awwee, that's sweet. For their respective debuts, Jackman & Hodgson are the game starters.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
well, not liking Rinne giving up 2 on 15 shots, but will wait to hear from those watching if they were softies or not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad