Prospect Info: Cam Hillis

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If we don't sign him (and other of our CHL prospect) it would reflect very very bad on our amateur scouting...

Just the past few draft. I mean how many more wasted draft picks?
Bradley, Walford, Tyszka, Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, Houde...

I am not in favor at all on signing all our prospect... I still don't get the signing of Pezzetta but at some point you have to question the scouting department with such shitty results...

Thing is you can make an easy argument that Fonstad, McShane and Houde are better than Verbeek Waked Pezzetta.

So signing UDFA shitters with no upside becomes even more costly.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Thing is you can make an easy argument that Fonstad, McShane and Houde are better than Verbeek Waked Pezzetta.

So signing UDFA shitters with no upside becomes even more costly.

I agree with you that Fonstad, Houde, and McShane are better than the other three. But in all fairness, those guys were signed even before the three 2018 draftees were ever in the Habs system. And the prospect pool was far from being as deep as it is today. So they were forced to look for UDFA's to add some depth (in Verbeek's, Waked's, and Alain's cases).

At least Waked is in the final year of his ELC. If they sign him over those three, that will be reason to shit on them. Unless they sign him to an AHL deal.

I will say that at least Pezzetta brings a little bit of what none of the others bring. And that's a lot of energy and sandpaper.

Reactions: JAPPO and dralaf

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What the f*** is the hold up, only 3 weeks left to sign him.

It's been f***ing insane. CHL has been over for months and the decision is easy. Not only is he a great prospect hes got character which they apparently care about.

Maybe next Friday.

They signed Khisamutdinov Friday the 1st.
They signed Romanov Friday the 8th.

Cam Hillis maybe on Friday the 15th?

I do think he's the next prospect to be signed to an ELC, though.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I agree that they were more than likely concentrating on signing Romanov first. I wouldn't be surprised if Hillis is signed in the next 7 days. I doubt his contract would be very complicated.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I keep tweeting at LeBrun, Engels and Basu to try to get an update, but naturally there's nothing.

You're wasting your time there. The only time the insiders have some inside knowledge on players signing an ELC is if it's someone coming from Europe or the NCAA.

In Montreal's case, we saw it with Ylonen. Before the Finnish league finished, we learned that he'd be coming over. We got the same with Romanov. We had learned that Primeau would be turning pro days before he signed and the Northeastern's season was over.

But when it comes to prospects out of Major Junior, we never hear of it ahead of time. Mainly because they can be signed at any moment after being drafted and can still play in the CHL.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I keep tweeting at LeBrun, Engels and Basu to try to get an update, but naturally there's nothing.

If anyone would know, it might be Sam Cosentino. He seems to have a good pulse of the CHL. But he doesn't have Twitter so you'll have to find another way of contacting him!

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If anyone would know, it might be Sam Cosentino. He seems to have a good pulse of the CHL. But he doesn't have Twitter so you'll have to find another way of contacting him!

But even he wouldn't know if the Habs will eventually sign Hillis. Or any of the other 3 CHL prospects whose rights are expiring.

He'd probably offer his opinion on who he thinks out of the 4 is worth signing the most. But he wouldn't have any inside info on who they would sign, like ''I'm hearing the Habs are close to signing Hillis. It should be in the next few days.'' He wouldn't be able to say that.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's definitely going to be him. He had a crazy bounce back season. They were high on him since the draft.

It should be.. but like someone above said, there isn't a whole lot that needs to be done with his contract. CHL has been over for a long time, there's no more evaluations that can be done.

He should be the one signed but the fact it's taking so long makes me feel like the idiot in chief is having a hard time deciding.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
But even he wouldn't know if the Habs will eventually sign Hillis. Or any of the other 3 CHL prospects whose rights are expiring.

He'd probably offer his opinion on who he thinks out of the 4 is worth signing the most. But he wouldn't have any inside info on who they would sign, like ''I'm hearing the Habs are close to signing Hillis. It should be in the next few days.'' He wouldn't be able to say that.

I do think Cosentino is a CHL insider that does know some of these things. He's close with agents and teams and probably would know these things, at least beyond just giving his opinion. For example, he might know things like what area-scouts and visiting mgmt think of drafted prospects by talking to them at the rink. That would let him know if the team is likely or unlikely to sign a prospect.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It should be.. but like someone above said, there isn't a whole lot that needs to be done with his contract. CHL has been over for a long time, there's no more evaluations that can be done.

He should be the one signed but the fact it's taking so long makes me feel like the idiot in chief is having a hard time deciding.

I'm pretty sure they decided probably mid way through the season. I don't think it's about that. The Russian contracts probably needed a little more effort so they decided to go with them first imo.

If there's one thing I feel like MB has done fine with is making the right decisions on which junior prospects to sign/not sign amongst their picks.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
What the f*** is the hold up, only 3 weeks left to sign him.
In fact he could sign him the last day before Habs loose his right , so i don't see why you see a problem here ; if they want him , they will sign him . The date isn't important

Reactions: dralaf

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Lol.

The Habs not signing Hillis would be precisely the type of troll I've come to expect from our team.

Last edited:

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
He did say they're probably signing only 1 of fonstad/mcshane/houde/hillis, i think hillis would be the guy, not watching prospects too closely nowadays, but he seemed to deserve a contract after a solid season, i can't say i know this player's game all that much, just saying out of the 4 players he should be the one getting that contract i guess

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Hillis will be signed I think everyone needs to settle down on that front. The first domino was Romonov and that took a couple more days then people wanted so relax. Hillis will sign. As for Fonstad, McShane, and Houde I wouldnt hold your breath. Houde im 99% sure wont be signed. Fonstad and McShane might be in line for an AHL contract, but I could see both going to another camp and signing elsewhere.
Hillis will sign. That's nothing I think anyone should worry about. Covid has slowed everything down, relax. He'll be a Hab

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Hillis will be signed I think everyone needs to settle down on that front. The first domino was Romonov and that took a couple more days then people wanted so relax. Hillis will sign. As for Fonstad, McShane, and Houde I wouldnt hold your breath. Houde im 99% sure wont be signed. Fonstad and McShane might be in line for an AHL contract, but I could see both going to another camp and signing elsewhere.
Hillis will sign. That's nothing I think anyone should worry about. Covid has slowed everything down, relax. He'll be a Hab
I would sign them all. They definitely have more potential than Pezzetta, Waked, Blandisi, Lucchini, Sturtz and Luchuk right now. The organization will likely not even tether any qualifying offers to the last six to keep them around therefore, they will not surpass the 50 player contract limit.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
I would sign them all. They definitely have more potential than Pezzetta, Waked, Blandisi, Lucchini, Sturtz and Luchuk right now. The organization will likely not even tether any qualifying offers to the last six to keep them around therefore, they will not surpass the 50 player contract limit.
Unfortunately I think they can only sign 1 maybe 2? Hillis will be the guy if its only one but im hoping that they'll give the others AHL contracts just to keep them in our organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad