Prospect Info: Cam Hillis

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To start the season next year:
Kotkaniemi (age 20, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Evans (Age 23, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Vejdemo (Age 24, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Alain (age 23, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Poehling (age 21, 2nd year AHL/NHL)
Teasdale (Age 21, 2nd year AHL but hurt last season)
Ylonen (Age 21, 1st year AHL)
Hillis (Age 20, 1st year AHL... maybe)

Fleury (Age 21, 3rd year AHL/NHL)
Brook (Age 21, 2nd year AHL/NHL)
Romanov (Age 20, 1st year AHL/NHL)

Probably forgot a few guys. Regardless, another year for Hillis in the OHL will allow Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Evans to graduate. Hillis missed a lot of time in his age 18 season too.

I'm OK with either OHL or AHL for Hillis though. Just need to manage Laval's depth that's all.

Good list.

One name that stands out as being forgotten is Dauphin. There were rumors he was about to be called up. Personally I see Evans as NHL ready. And, I would love it if Dauphin beat him out for the 4c spot - and Evans beat out Lehkonen and Byron for a top 9 wing spot.

As for Hillis. I have KK and Poehling as 1-2 in Laval all year next year (a full year of uninterrupted develoment for both). 3c is Hillis. 4c is Dauphin, and Vejdemo learns the wing position- or if Dauphin makes the Habs, Vejdemo is 4c.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good list.

One name that stands out as being forgotten is Dauphin. There were rumors he was about to be called up. Personally I see Evans as NHL ready. And, I would love it if Dauphin beat him out for the 4c spot - and Evans beat out Lehkonen and Byron for a top 9 wing spot.

As for Hillis. I have KK and Poehling as 1-2 in Laval all year next year (a full year of uninterrupted develoment for both). 3c is Hillis. 4c is Dauphin, and Vejdemo learns the wing position- or if Dauphin makes the Habs, Vejdemo is 4c.

I think Laval will be better next year. Better team D is a good start!

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
AHL, I don't see the point of having him rack up meaningless points vs younger players. He's ready for the AHL imo.

If two of Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Evans are in the NHL, there is room for Hillis at the AHL. However, if only 1 of the 3 are in the NHL. What opportunity will Hillis have in Laval? What's better for him... ECHL or CHL?

Potential players playing center in Laval next year. I guess Hillis can start on Wing?

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Evans
Vejdemo
Alain
Hillis
Khisamutdinov

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If two of Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Evans are in the NHL, there is room for Hillis at the AHL. However, if only 1 of the 3 are in the NHL. What opportunity will Hillis have in Laval? What's better for him... ECHL or CHL?

Potential players playing center in Laval next year. I guess Hillis can start on Wing?

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Evans
Vejdemo
Alain
Hillis
Khisamutdinov

Evans most certainly is going to get an audition at center to start the year, they were raving about him to finish this year and he played well.

You can easily move Hillis in on wing or play him at 3C, shelter him behind Poehling-KK.

Vejdemo can plat 4th C or wing. Alain isn't even worth prioritizing his development and Khisamutdinov is a winger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Evans most certainly is going to get an audition at center to start the year, they were raving about him to finish this year and he played well.

You can easily move Hillis in on wing or play him at 3C, shelter him behind Poehling-KK.

Vejdemo can plat 4th C or wing. Alain isn't even worth prioritizing his development and Khisamutdinov is a winger.

I think Bouchard likes Alain so he will get his shot. I thought Khisamutdinov was a winger as well but Cap Friendly had him as a center.

What's the average age of an AHL team? Are we going to be close to average or one of the youngest teams?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Evans
Vejdemo
Alain
Hillis
Khisamutdinov

Poehling could be on the wing, Hillis is likely on the wing. I would think he's too good for both the OHL and ECHL, he should be in Laval.

I think Bouchard likes Alain so he will get his shot. I thought Khisamutdinov was a winger as well but Cap Friendly had him as a center.

What's the average age of an AHL team? Are we going to be close to average or one of the youngest teams?

Bouchard does like Alain but he's a winger now. Khismutdinov is a winger the can play center I believe.

as for ave age, click the link and scroll down it lists the ave by team. The youngest was 23, Laval was 24 and the oldest was 26

Elite Prospects - American Hockey League (AHL)

Last edited:

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-4_13-20-42.png

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Yes but we signed Hillis where Gogolev had better production numbers. Not drooling over taking him in the 4th round. I know what you are saying but I can see him going in the 4th if the draft talent drops off after the top 100. My biggest question is if you sign him, where do you play him next year? Do we have room for another 20/21 year old in the AHL?

Hillis does have potential, though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hillis does have potential, though.

Mature Center in the OHL and plays a good 200' game where he is decent of face-offs. Potential is there yes. Lets see how his game translate to the pro level cause this is always a big jump for CHL players.

Might be another Evans type IMO

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Evans
Vejdemo
Alain
Hillis
Khisamutdinov
Poehling could be on the wing, Hillis is likely on the wing. I would think he's too good for both the OHL and ECHL, he should be in Laval.

Bouchard does like Alain but he's a winger now. Khismutdinov is a winger the can play center I believe.

as for ave age, click the link and scroll down it lists the ave by team. The youngest was 23, Laval was 24 and the oldest was 26

Elite Prospects - American Hockey League (AHL)

I have the Laval center line as follows:

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Hillis
Khisamutdinov/Vejdemo

Alain and Vejdemo's development are lower priority than Hillis and Khisamutdinov's are, heading into camp. Vejdemo likely would only be able to play wing on the 4th line in the NHL anyways. So might as well give him development time on the wing.

Evans and Dauphin are in Montreal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have the Laval center line as follows:

Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Hillis
Khisamutdinov/Vejdemo

Alain and Vejdemo's development are lower priority than Hillis and Khisamutdinov's are, heading into camp. Vejdemo likely would only be able to play wing on the 4th line in the NHL anyways. So might as well give him development time on the wing.

Evans and Dauphin are in Montreal.

If the Habs don't sign anyone, I have Kotkaniemi and Evans on the Habs roster. I have Domi sharing the center role with Suzuki on the 2nd line. Poehling might make the team as well if he has a good camp. Remember, a concussion derailed the start of his first pro season. If he makes the team, We will have a log jamb and very good competition

If no changes are made (but with Kovalchuk returning)..
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Kovalchuk / Domi-Suzuki / Domi-Suzuki
Drouin / Kotkaneimi / Armia
Byron / Evans or Poehling / Lehkonen
Weal

Laval centers will be
- Evans or Poehling
- Vejdemo
- Hillis
- Alain

Will Evans make the team and both Kotkaniemi and Poehling in Laval? Possible yes but I expect both of them to come into camp very hungry to prove they belong.

Kovalchuk / Suzuki / Armia
Drouin / Domi / Lehkonen
Byron / Evans / Weal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If the Habs don't sign anyone, I have Kotkaniemi and Evans on the Habs roster. I have Domi sharing the center role with Suzuki on the 2nd line. Poehling might make the team as well if he has a good camp. Remember, a concussion derailed the start of his first pro season. If he makes the team, We will have a log jamb and very good competition

If no changes are made (but with Kovalchuk returning)..
Kovalchuk / Domi-Suzuki / Domi-Suzuki
Drouin / Kotkaneimi / Armia
Byron / Evans or Poehling / Lehkonen
Weal

Laval centers will be
- Evans or Poehling
- Vejdemo
- Hillis
- Alain

Will Evans make the team and both Kotkaniemi and Poehling in Laval? Possible yes but I expect both of them to come into camp very hungry to prove they belong.

Kovalchuk / Suzuki / Armia
Drouin / Domi / Lehkonen
Byron / Evans / Weal

I really hope KK spends the full year in Laval. Lookong good in preseason against pros who aren't giving it a full wffort isn't enough to convince me he doesn't need more development time. Remember after this year he can't be sent down without going through waivers - this is his last chance to get development!

Reactions: Wats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really hope KK spends the full year in Laval. Lookong good in preseason against pros who aren't giving it a full wffort isn't enough to convince me he doesn't need more development time. Remember after this year he can't be sent down without going through waivers - this is his last chance to get development!

Depends on what gains he makes. If he don't take a step forward, I would say one more full AHL year. But I believe he makes the team and he's probably going to play in this playoffs as well (or "play in" round). It's a good test for him

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Depends on what gains he makes. If he don't take a step forward, I would say one more full AHL year. But I believe he makes the team and he's probably going to play in this playoffs as well (or "play in" round). It's a good test for him

You think he's healed from that serious spleen injury?

After the spleen injury and the serious concussion, my opinion is why even risk putting him in the NHL now and next year. Better to wait a year. It's the safer move long term. He's likely to only contribute only so much at this stage if his career. Better to do what's safest for his long term career, i.e. potential 18 year career ahead of him. No rush.

Reactions: Wats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You think he's healed from that serious spleen injury?

After the spleen injury and the serious concussion, my opinion is why even risk putting him in the NHL now and next year. Better to wait a year. It's the safer move long term. He's likely to only contribute only so much at this stage if his career. Better to do what's safest for his long term career, i.e. potential 18 year career ahead of him. No rush.

He didn't require surgery and that was reported Mar 11. We are talking 5 months of recovery time. It does not take that long to recover from what I can tell. This is what I found on the net.

"It may take just a couple of weeks to recover from a bruised spleen. If you need surgery, your recovery time may be longer—at least 4 to 6 weeks if your spleen has to be removed"

"In the past, treatment for a spleen injury always meant removal of the entire organ, called a splenectomy. However, doctors now say that some spleen injuries can heal on their own, particularly those that are not very severe"

Also, Because he was only held for one day, I'm not so sure it was serious. Not much information being reported on it but I think he is probably near 100% today (my personal guess). It was 3 months ago now.

Canadiens' Kotkaniemi out for season with spleen injury, won't need surgery - Sportsnet.ca.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Theres probably a difference between recovered and being cleared for contact.

Interesting read (See below). Looks like 3 months is when you can start to increase activity. Then in another part, it says 30 days. I think by the end of June or start of training camp, he should be good to go if he does not have any set backs. This is probably why we have seen the pic's of him playing Tennis lately. He's been cleared for activity and to increase intensity

SPLEEN INJURIES | Sports Medicine Today

Being released the next day tells me this was not serious

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Points for listening to Halsey during his work-out..

and he looks pretty ripped, not bad shape for the little guy.
I'm worried if his musical choices will ruin his preparation :sarcasm:

That being said, when Hillis is healthy he's quite off the charts. That's all I'm asking for him.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Pretty gross

Let’s see what he could do in Laval next year.

Get to see a little bit of that Gallagher streak in him there. A lot of those goals are where you need to be to score in the NHL, not a lot of these junior dangles and beating goalies from 50 feet out.

The thing is, that's just his goals.. his bread and butter is playmaking. Really pulling for this kid.

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad