Confirmed with Link: Calum Ritchie signs ELC

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Full strength, he'll be playing with some QUALITY line-mates, so what we are seeing right now is just a glimpse into his quality. We have an absolute gem. Last time I was this excited about a rookie (and there have been quite a few since), but Ryan O'Reilly. Everything I love in a player.
Sea Eagles is not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need right now.

Welcome back bud!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Can't even remember the context in which I made this...but it's good to have you back buddy.

Sea Eagles.jpg

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Full strength, he'll be playing with some QUALITY line-mates, so what we are seeing right now is just a glimpse into his quality. We have an absolute gem. Last time I was this excited about a rookie (and there have been quite a few since), but Ryan O'Reilly. Everything I love in a player.
4d747a34-e710-4223-9036-ae7f9aa174c1_text.gif

Just when it looked like nobody on HFAvs would ever smile again...

• Love
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I know he hasn't looked good but I think an antidote for that might be to put him back at his natural position. Give him linemates like Kiviranta and LOC to help on the defensive side and maybe we have some functional bottom 6 line.

Ivan - Mackinnon - Kovalenko
Colton - Mittlestadt - Rantanen
Kiviranta - Ritchie - LOC
X - Kelly - Stienburg

Yuck. This team could really use an infusion of skill rather than another banger. May as well call up Innala or Olausson and give them a shot. At this rate we are going to be forced to keep him beyond 9 games from pure necessity over readiness.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Actually pretty encouraging what we've seen so far. The fact that he doesn't stand out as a bad player is a good sign. The skill is clearly there, he's just a little slow in his reads and decision making. To be expected. Definitely think the correct path would be to give him his 9 games, then send him back to the OHL. The generals are supposed to be a powerhouse, so there's a good chance he's playing in the Mem cup, and a big role for team Canada at the WJCs.

Next season he's almost guaranteed to be playing with the Avs.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Actually pretty encouraging what we've seen so far. The fact that he doesn't stand out as a bad player is a good sign. The skill is clearly there, he's just a little slow in his reads and decision making. To be expected. Definitely think the correct path would be to give him his 9 games, then send him back to the OHL. The generals are supposed to be a powerhouse, so there's a good chance he's playing in the Mem cup, and a big role for team Canada at the WJCs.

I'm not worried about him, and I think he'll be a good player for us eventually, but he has been pretty bad for us this year. Atrocious in his own end, and little offensive production.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I'm not worried about him, and I think he'll be a good player for us eventually, but he has been pretty bad for us this year. Atrocious in his own end, and little offensive production.
I think the Avs should use Ritchie as a trade chip this season for some D help or secondary scoring, or even a goaltender if possible. The window to win is shrinking and I truly don’t think he’s going to be a difference maker for the Avs for atleast 2 more years. He’s clearly not ready this year and next year he’ll be further ahead, but is he ready to be a full time top 9 guy on a contender next year? Have to remember he was a late first round pick, those guys don’t typically become impact players until 22-23 years old. What do you guys think? I think in the end his ceiling is a 25-40 guy in his prime.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

He’s definitely standing out in a negative way. Lots of standing around in his end. He should go back, injuries or not.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He’s definitely standing out in a negative way. Lots of standing around in his end. He should go back, injuries or not.

I think hes coachable though. There were moments where he tried to be physical, but ya lots of standing. Clearly dont have the cardio to keep up or know exactly what to do on the forecheck.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The problem is can he really learn the defensive side of the puck in Juniors? Seems like just a wasted year for him down there, too bad he can't play in the AHL.
He can absolutely learn to play more assertive and play responsibly with his on ice positioning and stick positioning. Things that are lacking right now.

If he wants to be an impact nhl player he'll need to put in the effort to do these things.

Guys who have his kind of talent will stick in the NHL on a first and second contract because they're cheap. So he's got lots of years to improve. But the Avs may not be so patient.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean there's been flashes offensively for sure. But he's very much stood out defensively. He's been horrific in his own end so far. He's not ready for the NHL now, but I do like his potential upside for future seasons though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Defense is a teachable skill. Players just have to want to be taught it and put in the proper effort. The switch simply has to flip for Ritchie to want to learn those skills, and the Avs cannot afford to wait for that switch to flip in the NHL.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Defense is a teachable skill. Players just have to want to be taught it and put in the proper effort. The switch simply has to flip for Ritchie to want to learn those skills, and the Avs cannot afford to wait for that switch to flip in the NHL.
I don't think it's a lack of effort, he's working to get back on the back check, I just don't think he's reading those plays at this time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think it's a lack of effort, he's working to get back on the back check, I just don't think he's reading those plays at this time.
I see a lot of puck watching and general lack of movement. Let others do the work and then shoot the zone or try a risky play on the wall when he's the outlet option.

But if it is an IQ issue, that might be scarier.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I see a lot of puck watching and general lack of movement. Let others do the work and then shoot the zone or try a risky play on the wall when he's the outlet option.

So, he's back to being a trade chip at the deadline?

Only half-joking.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So, he's back to being a trade chip at the deadline?

Only half-joking.
Always-Has-Been.png

Jokes aside, all players in his range of the draft have issues to work on. That's why they aren't top guys. IMO the Avs won't trade Ritchie because they live in the delusion that they can contend now and 6 years from now. But I'd simply argue Ritchie's value today would allow the team to be better now and next season, which is more important than 4-5-6 years from now.

I also don't think Ritchie is a can't miss guy. I think he's surely a NHLer, just the level of NHLer is up for question and if an organization is going to be patient enough and live with his warts. He's really more Dylan Strome than Mark Scheifele. The Strome types have a tendency to drive teams nuts and they move on from them instead fo building around them. Even though Strome is a useful hockey player and has settled in nicely as a 2C on a fringe playoff team.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I don't think it's an IQ issue in terms of him not being able to see the play at all, but it's almost like he doesn't quite recognize when he can watch and jump the play, and when he needs to get in. That's part of getting accustomed to the NHL speed, the other part is him getting used to asserting himself physically to get into better positions.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think it's an IQ issue in terms of him not being able to see the play at all, but it's almost like he doesn't quite recognize when he can watch and jump the play, and when he needs to get in. That's part of getting accustomed to the NHL speed, the other part is him getting used to asserting himself physically to get into better positions.

It would be too early to say if it is IQ or getting used to NHL speed, but they can play into each other. I'm in the camp that players are either smart, or they aren't. You can't really develop it. Yeah some adjustment time is needed (and we'd certainly be within that), but we're not talking massive leaps here. Smart players tend to carry that over pretty quickly. ROR on game 1 was already a smart player. Same with Kucherov, Makar, Bergeron, etc. I honestly think it is more effort than IQ here as his controller gets disconnected too often and he's not willing to battle at the level it takes currently.

On the physical side... that's just not his game. Sure he'll throw a hit occasionally, but it is more like a once every other game or every third. He's a guy that thrives when he has space to operate. He doesn't use his frame to create that space, he uses his hands, skating and reads. He's plays on the perimeter and looks for soft spots to attack. He's at his best when he's got two bangers as his sides and can filter through. If he's asked to be a dirty area guy or play a physical style (not just hits, but leaning on guys and battling), the game just isn't there. His compete and battle are just not at that level. That doesn't mean he can't be a useful or good NHL player, it just changes how he can be useful and effective.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad