Confirmed with Link: Calum Ritchie signs ELC

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Full strength, he'll be playing with some QUALITY line-mates, so what we are seeing right now is just a glimpse into his quality. We have an absolute gem. Last time I was this excited about a rookie (and there have been quite a few since), but Ryan O'Reilly. Everything I love in a player.
Sea Eagles is not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need right now.

Welcome back bud!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Can't even remember the context in which I made this...but it's good to have you back buddy.

Sea Eagles.jpg

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Full strength, he'll be playing with some QUALITY line-mates, so what we are seeing right now is just a glimpse into his quality. We have an absolute gem. Last time I was this excited about a rookie (and there have been quite a few since), but Ryan O'Reilly. Everything I love in a player.
4d747a34-e710-4223-9036-ae7f9aa174c1_text.gif

Just when it looked like nobody on HFAvs would ever smile again...

• Love
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I know he hasn't looked good but I think an antidote for that might be to put him back at his natural position. Give him linemates like Kiviranta and LOC to help on the defensive side and maybe we have some functional bottom 6 line.

Ivan - Mackinnon - Kovalenko
Colton - Mittlestadt - Rantanen
Kiviranta - Ritchie - LOC
X - Kelly - Stienburg

Yuck. This team could really use an infusion of skill rather than another banger. May as well call up Innala or Olausson and give them a shot. At this rate we are going to be forced to keep him beyond 9 games from pure necessity over readiness.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Actually pretty encouraging what we've seen so far. The fact that he doesn't stand out as a bad player is a good sign. The skill is clearly there, he's just a little slow in his reads and decision making. To be expected. Definitely think the correct path would be to give him his 9 games, then send him back to the OHL. The generals are supposed to be a powerhouse, so there's a good chance he's playing in the Mem cup, and a big role for team Canada at the WJCs.

Next season he's almost guaranteed to be playing with the Avs.

Reactions: cinchronicity

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Actually pretty encouraging what we've seen so far. The fact that he doesn't stand out as a bad player is a good sign. The skill is clearly there, he's just a little slow in his reads and decision making. To be expected. Definitely think the correct path would be to give him his 9 games, then send him back to the OHL. The generals are supposed to be a powerhouse, so there's a good chance he's playing in the Mem cup, and a big role for team Canada at the WJCs.

I'm not worried about him, and I think he'll be a good player for us eventually, but he has been pretty bad for us this year. Atrocious in his own end, and little offensive production.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I'm not worried about him, and I think he'll be a good player for us eventually, but he has been pretty bad for us this year. Atrocious in his own end, and little offensive production.
I think the Avs should use Ritchie as a trade chip this season for some D help or secondary scoring, or even a goaltender if possible. The window to win is shrinking and I truly don’t think he’s going to be a difference maker for the Avs for atleast 2 more years. He’s clearly not ready this year and next year he’ll be further ahead, but is he ready to be a full time top 9 guy on a contender next year? Have to remember he was a late first round pick, those guys don’t typically become impact players until 22-23 years old. What do you guys think? I think in the end his ceiling is a 25-40 guy in his prime.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

He’s definitely standing out in a negative way. Lots of standing around in his end. He should go back, injuries or not.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
The problem is can he really learn the defensive side of the puck in Juniors? Seems like just a wasted year for him down there, too bad he can't play in the AHL.
Could if he wants to. Make the effort not to cheat on defense, and eventually you can establish good habits that will transfer to the NHL.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He’s definitely standing out in a negative way. Lots of standing around in his end. He should go back, injuries or not.

I think hes coachable though. There were moments where he tried to be physical, but ya lots of standing. Clearly dont have the cardio to keep up or know exactly what to do on the forecheck.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah he's very unsure. Not shocking, as it's a big jump from the speed he's used to playing at. I'm just not at all concerned with what I've seen.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The problem is can he really learn the defensive side of the puck in Juniors? Seems like just a wasted year for him down there, too bad he can't play in the AHL.
He can absolutely learn to play more assertive and play responsibly with his on ice positioning and stick positioning. Things that are lacking right now.

If he wants to be an impact nhl player he'll need to put in the effort to do these things.

Guys who have his kind of talent will stick in the NHL on a first and second contract because they're cheap. So he's got lots of years to improve. But the Avs may not be so patient.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean there's been flashes offensively for sure. But he's very much stood out defensively. He's been horrific in his own end so far. He's not ready for the NHL now, but I do like his potential upside for future seasons though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad