Confirmed with Link: Calum Ritchie signs ELC

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
With how rapidly our window is closing, I feel like Ritchie should be playing for the Avs in the playoffs and if he isn't, whoever we traded him for should be. I wouldn't have said this 2 years ago or even thought of it much before then.

Depending on how he is performing and the rest of the team is shaking out, I'd definitely give him some NHL games to start the season and see what he does with it. But I'd be moving him to wing, yesterday. It's his best chance to early success and quite frankly where we need offensive skill the most at the moment. Pin his ass to Mitts wing and give them Lehky when he's good to go but it'll probably be some combination of LOC/Wood until then.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With how rapidly our window is closing, I feel like Ritchie should be playing for the Avs in the playoffs and if he isn't, whoever we traded him for should be. I wouldn't have said this 2 years ago or even thought of it much before then.

Depending on how he is performing and the rest of the team is shaking out, I'd definitely give him some NHL games to start the season and see what he does with it. But I'd be moving him to wing, yesterday. It's his best chance to early success and quite frankly where we need offensive skill the most at the moment. Pin his ass to Mitts wing and give them Lehky when he's good to go but it'll probably be some combination of LOC/Wood until then.
I'd say there is a good chance that if Ritchie is sent down, that he's not available til June. Oshawa should be one of the favorites in the East and probably facing London for the title.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah it doesn’t sound like Bednar is in favour of him being in the lineup currently. Said he has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of things, and I agree. Great when he has the puck, but he’s invisible when he doesn’t have it. No doubt he can get there, just a matter of when.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Yeah it doesn’t sound like Bednar is in favour of him being in the lineup currently. Said he has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of things, and I agree. Great when he has the puck, but he’s invisible when he doesn’t have it. No doubt he can get there, just a matter of when.
Plus once the games matter, the likelihood he receives much PP time is slim, where he’s most likely to succeed. Be interesting to see how he handles the wing the next game here.

Reactions: AvsCOL

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
He's probably not really ready and I don't see a path for them to keep him past 9 games. However, maybe just being around the team and playing some NHL games will give him a taste of what awaits him and what areas he needs to be focused on so he can come back for good next year.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I wish this kid all the success in the world but as an Oshawa STH, please send him back after 9 games 🥹

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Ideally he returns after the 9 games, and Oshawa is projected to be on of the top teams in the CHL. He would be pretty much guaranteed to make the WJC team, and play some big minutes there too. If he works on his defensive game and has the chance to hone his skills, he should be ready to take the 3C spot next year and they can trade Colton to make room for Drouin.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Ritchie - Kovalenko
Wood - ? - LOC

Reactions: xAvsx89

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Ideally he returns after the 9 games, and Oshawa is projected to be on of the top teams in the CHL. He would be pretty much guaranteed to make the WJC team, and play some big minutes there too. If he works on his defensive game and has the chance to hone his skills, he should be ready to take the 3C spot next year and they can trade Colton to make room for Drouin.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Ritchie - Kovalenko
Wood - ? - LOC
If everything works out this year that we get both Landy and Nuke back, next offseason we manage to hold on to Drouin, then I don’t see us paying a large, long contract to 2 4th liners. They will deal Wood, someone will deal for him for their third line.

4th line will be Ivan, Loc, someone, maybe Steinburg takes the next step.

Reactions: AvsCOL

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If everything works out this year that we get both Landy and Nuke back, next offseason we manage to hold on to Drouin, then I don’t see us paying a large, long contract to 2 4th liners. They will deal Wood, someone will deal for him for their third line.

4th line will be Ivan, Loc, someone, maybe Steinburg takes the next step.

Wood and LOC haven't been 4th liners for a while though. Avs likely signed them planning on keeping them on the 3rd line. They're priced well for that role too.

Moving Val and Colton is more likely IMO. They'll need to cut more than Wood's $2.5M from the current lineup, if Landy is on the books.

My guess on the 2025-26 lineup. Ritchie may give Mitts some competition at 2C during the season too.

Drouin - MacK - Lehky
Landy - Mitts - Mikko
Wood - Ritchie - LOC
XX - XX - Kovalenko

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Wood and LOC haven't been 4th liners for a while though. Avs likely signed them planning on keeping them on the 3rd line. They're priced well for that role too.

Moving Val and Colton is more likely IMO. They'll need to cut more than Wood's $2.5M from the current lineup, if Landy is on the books.

My guess on the 2025-26 lineup. Ritchie may give Mitts some competition at 2C during the season too.

Drouin - MacK - Lehky
Landy - Mitts - Mikko
Wood - Ritchie - LOC
XX - XX - Kovalenko
I think Kovalenko is going to prove himself this year, I don't think there is any way he slips past the third line in 2025, Wood or LOC would have to be moved, and I think LOC would only be sent packing if no other alternative, he plays Avalanche hockey, Wood would be the one moved.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Drouin - MacK - Lehky
Landy - Mitts - Mikko
Wood - Ritchie - LOC
XX - XX - Kovalenko

The plan is to have their contracts age with inflation, and for them to be on the 4th line when Cmac hits on all of these 1st rounders he is using to keep us competitive.

I'd say he is nieve to his staff capabilities in that area.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Kovalenko is going to prove himself this year, I don't think there is any way he slips past the third line in 2025, Wood or LOC would have to be moved, and I think LOC would only be sent packing if no other alternative, he plays Avalanche hockey, Wood would be the one moved.

I'm curious how Kovy plays too. Wouldn't put it past him to earn a bigger role. I like his determination. Wood and LOC work so well with Colton though. Might carry over to a line with Ritchie/Mitts.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Kovalenko will be RFA with arbitration rights next year. We might not be able to keep him if he has a great year...
If he goes to arbitration can't the Avs elect for 2 years? At least it will be some cost certainty. And if he earns a big payday it means he's playing well.

I'm still expecting him to get hurt playing the style that he does and then after the injury play tentative. Bednar will send him to the AHL after this and he'll go home to Russia never to play for the Avs again.

An Avalanche career that would be on par with Jonas Holos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad