Confirmed with Link: Calum Ritchie signs ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Dark mode users are perverts trying to hide what they're really doing.
1000039912.gif

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Bednar himself said that Ritchie needs to figure it out pretty quickly so I by that comment I would say that Bednar is not going to give him a spot just because they are short up front.

Reactions: Leviathan899

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
The Avs are not going to be swayed by media hype or highlight reels. They're going to make a decision they feel is best. Sometimes contracts play into it. Where they know they have to give a guy a run or they won't be able to keep him (or even sign). That won't be the case here, but we see that with Russians and college players.

I do think the Avs' natural tendency is to get prospects into the org as quickly as they can, and from there they sink or swim. They don't have a whole lot of patience for players who can't cut it, but they also don't like their prospects not impacting the NHL club. We've seen it with Byram, Newhook, Jost, Makar, Rantanen, Kaut, Ranta, Landy, Bigras, etc. They get them within the org rather quickly and expect them to make an impact rather quickly. If they don't the Avs tend to sour. They basically give players 2-3 seasons (at most) within the org to make an impact before they are looking elsewhere. Delaying that a year starts the clock later, but also tends to shorten the amount of time they'll give as a buffer.

Sink or swim is really the key... and IMO, that is what matters with Ritchie. If he is showing signs of sinking, the Avs need to send him down ASAP. If he swims, the Avs will keep him up... even if it is a doggie paddle.
Well said, you’re more level headed on this issue than I am, that’s for sure. If you had to place a wager right now, hypothetically, what do you think will be the case with Ritchie? Sent down before season? 9 games and back? I saw Bednar say there are some areas of his game he needs to learn quickly, while other skills which are impressive at the NHL level. Personally it’s his flaws which show he isn’t ready yet. He wasn’t exactly good in oshawa last year at using his frame or playing a more physical game. A lot of fly by’s and stick checks, but not enough physical engagement. Was okay defensively but wasn’t one of oshawa’s top defensive forwards. I think he could definitely develop those areas while continuing to develop confidence as a top line C and playing on a contending team. But I respect your views.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad