Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
A deal that pays him $8 million a year now is a fair deal that will only be more and more team friendly as time goes on.

It's probably reasonable to push for a number that makes the Bruins a little more uncomfortable at present.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Oh what a wonderful world it would be if we could play even a small part in watching Boston slide down the Atlantic rankings

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
8 mil is fair, Swayman hasn't proven he can take on a 60+ game workload like Hellebuyck yet.
According to the Boston thread, he played great in the playoffs but only has played 132 games in total. Also, after all-star game last season he struggled, Ullmark got them through that stretch. There's also the possibility that he struggles without Ullmark as backup, much the same way Murray was never the same after MAF went to Vegas. I think it's a fair deal because there is some risk for the Bruins side going 8 years, and it's fair to Swayman as he'll only be 33 at the end of the contract and will get another big payday if he turns out to be and remains a top 5 goalie. There are no guarantees he'll stay healthy or not decline. $64 million is nothing to sneeze at.

Jacobs, the owner of the Bruins, is the one who pushed for the cap. Based on the comments I've read on the Bruins board, he doesn't sound like the type that would cave to an RFA's demands. Swayman has the same agent as Nylander, but Jacobs is a totally different animal than the MLSE.

Another interesting angle is that Swayman and Shesterkin want to raise the pay levels for goalies as they are on the lower scale of top dollars when compared to other positions. Shesterkin wants to set the goalie market, Swayman wants to ensure his contract doesn't hurt the market for contracts of future goalies. All I can say, he'd better hope that Korpi doesn't play well in front of Boston's team D approach as I wouldn't be surprised if Boston lets him sit out the year.

8 mil is fair, Swayman hasn't proven he can take on a 60+ game workload like Hellebuyck yet.
And Shesterkin. The current offer to Swayman is in line with what they were paid as RFAs and they both had played more games and were already starters when they got those contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad