Proposal: Calgary - Philly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Young stars rarely get traded. Actually good comparables would be Carter and Richards. Both were traded for two really nice pieces. I'd say Schenn + Provarov.

When Carter was traded he returned an 8th OA pick, a 3rd rnd pick, and a struggling former 5th OA pick while Carter was just one year removed from a 45 goal season. JG just isn't on that level yet so his value should be slightly less than what Carter's was. Now, Schenn is a first line winger and much more valuable than JV was at the time of that trade. With what Provo has proved thus far in juniors he holds a fair bit more value that an 8th OA pick.

JG would not return that much in a trade

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
When Carter was traded he returned an 8th OA pick, a 3rd rnd pick, and a struggling former 5th OA pick while Carter was just one year removed from a 45 goal season. JG just isn't on that level yet so his value should be slightly less than what Carter's was. Now, Schenn is a first line winger and much more valuable than JV was at the time of that trade. With what Provo has proved thus far in juniors he holds a fair bit more value that an 8th OA pick.

JG would not return that much in a trade

Don't forget that Carter was locked up, with term and a very manageable cap hit, at the time of the trade.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Gaudreau is not overrated. He's the real deal, just like Ghost is.
Absolutely true. He does however play a much easier position to play when your undersized. I would argue that a player like Ghost is actually more rare and the biggest issue for Ghost will be staying healthy. He has had a torn ACL and abdominal and hip surgeries in the last three years.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Gaudreau's worst rumour is that he likes skittles.

Carter's "rumours" went a bit beyond that and most of them were confirmed. Not exactly a comparable situation. The Flames want Gaudreau long-term, the Flyers were looking to get rid of Carter before they were forced to keep him long-term.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Absolutely true. He does however play a much easier position to play when your undersized. I would argue that a player like Ghost is actually more rare and the biggest issue for Ghost will be staying healthy. He has had a torn ACL and abdominal and hip surgeries in the last three years.

The Flames already have Gio, Dougie, a couple intriguing prospects in Kylington and Andersson on the backend. Then we have Brodie, who is currently our best and most valuable player. If we didn't have Brodie, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a Ghost for Gaudreau deal, but right now Johnny fills a far greater need on our team. Again, both are outstanding.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Check those shooting percentages and get back to me.
.You're really reaching if thats your argument that "Eberle doesnt have the talent to imagine he is as good as Gaudreau" Both are soft one dimensional wingers.
JG 90 give aways 41 take aways 26 hits 10 blocked shots
JE 47 give aways 40 take aways 45 hits 24 blocked shots

There's some more useless stats. He's vastly overrated(although still a very valuable piece) and about to get massively overpaid(more than Eberle thats for sure)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
.You're really reaching if thats your argument that "Eberle doesnt have the talent to imagine he is as good as Gaudreau" Both are soft one dimensional wingers.

There's some more useless stats. He's vastly overrated(although still a very valuable piece) and about to get massively overpaid(more than Eberle thats for sure)

One dimensional meaning he doesn't throw body checks? Because he's extremely responsible in his own end and excellent on the back check and breakout.

Eberle has never reached Gaudreau's level without unsustainable shooting percentages.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON

Lol, JG is not one dimensional like Eberle and has oodles more talent. Hilarious.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Why does every JG thread have to include mathematically illiterate people bringing up Jordan Eberle and a subsequent pissing match? They're not comparable players, Gaudreau isn't overrated, and Eberle doesn't suck.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
It's not "reaching" when 2012 Eberle had +4.8 Shooting% over his career average and Gaudreau's was the same as his first.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Eberle sophomore season(age 21) 78GP 34G 42A 76Pts
Gaudreau's sophomore season(age 22) 79GP 30G 48A 78Pts

Yea, not even close :laugh:

It's not just about the raw scoring totals as overall scoring is lower today with the improved defensive systems and goaltender interference rules in place. It's actually about overall placement. Eberle finished tied for 15th in league scoring that year whereas Gaudreau finished tied for 6th this year. That in itself is a big difference.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
It's not "reaching" when 2012 Eberle had +4.8 Shooting% over his career average and Gaudreau's was the same as his first.

And the +5.25% in on ice shooting percentage, In his sophomore season he lead the NHL in on ice shooting percentage with a % of 12.75 which is a 70% increase from the 7.5 he had in his rookie season. Whereas Gaudreau's on ice shooting percentage went down by 1% from his rookie season. (Both at Even Strength)

Last edited:

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Since sh% is coming into play now, can an expert give me some numbers on Jake? I'm pretty sure his was considerably lower than his career average last season

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Since sh% is coming into play now, can an expert give me some numbers on Jake? I'm pretty sure his was considerably lower than his career average last season

It was 4.8 below the previous year....only 5.2 vs 10% the year before. Given his shots, it was a difference in 10 goals. And that makes sense since he only had 11 goals as opposed to 20+ the previous 3 years. It also impacted Giroux and contributed to his drop in points.

Jake had 55 points in 73 games....a 62 point pace. Add in the extra goals from his shooting % rebounding and he puts up 70+ points....which is right where he has paced the last 4 years.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Yeah that was kinda my point. Trade value aside (which has already been covered by both fanbases), my only issue was the implication that Jake is an overpaid 60 pt player(not pointing any fingers fwiw). If high shooting percentages are unsustainable so are low ones. Love both players, no need to tear either one down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad